3PH while mowing

PapaJ

Equipment
BX2680 - PFL1242 - RCK54 MMM - Fimco 3PH Sprayer - Trailer Mover
Apr 28, 2020
VA
Is there a way to stop the 3PH from lowering when I lower my mower deck? I keep a trailer mover on there 99% of the time and the double ball receiver drags the ground. I have spent awhile in the operator's manual and I can't find anything that addresses this.

About 10 seconds after posting this, I googled it, and found a thread on this forum addressing this. Derp.

Hopefullly the BX2680 has the ability to pin the 3PH up. I will go look later today.

Last edited:

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Is there a way to stop the 3PH from lowering when I lower my mower deck? I keep a trailer mover on there 99% of the time and the double ball receiver drags the ground. I have spent awhile in the operator's manual and I can't find anything that addresses this.

About 10 seconds after posting this, I googled it, and found a thread on this forum addressing this. Derp.

Hopefullly the BX2680 has the ability to pin the 3PH up. I will go look later today.
I was just about to say, I saw this same exact issue come up on the forums here just a few weeks ago. I responded there that that seems like a real flaw for the BX series. I was hoping it was just an isolated issue. I guess this is a flaw with the BX.

PapaJ

Equipment
Apr 28, 2020
VA
I was just about to say, I saw this same exact issue come up on the forums here just a few weeks ago. I responded there that that seems like a real flaw for the BX series. I was hoping it was just an isolated issue. I guess this is a flaw with the BX.
The 3PH arms can be pinned up, but they came with key rings on them, PITA to remove and reinstall, need to find cotter pins that fit.

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA
Years ago when I did maintenance for a marina, we had a small ford tractor that had chains attached to the lower link arms that could be used to set a lower limit stop.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada

Forum members towing trailers using the 3 pt hitch have experienced sudden problems when the weight on the trailer moved rearward and the 3 pt arms just rose up providing no resistance.

This product, which ties the 3 pt arms rigidly to the upper 3 pt mount, is intended to solve that problem.

Dave

Attachments

PapaJ

Equipment
Apr 28, 2020
VA
Forum members towing trailers using the 3 pt hitch have experienced sudden problems when the weight on the trailer moved rearward and the 3 pt arms just rose up providing no resistance.

This product, which ties the 3 pt arms rigidly to the upper 3 pt mount, is intended to solve that problem.

Dave
I have something similar to this on the tractor, I don't know any other way possible to tow with the 3PH without one, but what you describe is not my problem. Mine is when I lower the mower deck, the 3PH lowers as well, and my hitch ball drags on the ground.

Tchess450

Equipment
BX23S with 60inch deck. implements, blade, forks, spreader, and more.
Jun 18, 2018
Pa
Pin them up some how, or what i do is adjust valve so the deck is the only thing that will lower.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

Dave
Bingo.

This is why one should NEVER tow trailers, etc., from the three point arms except on level ground or uphill. Operators have been killed when an overhauling load forces the lift arms up causing the trailer hitch to release from the ball, subsequently impaling the operator.

Always tow trailers, etc., from the fixed (swinging) drawbar.

SDT

PapaJ

Equipment
Apr 28, 2020
VA
Bingo.

This is why one should NEVER tow trailers, etc., from the three point arms except on level ground or uphill. Operators have been killed when an overhauling load forces the lift arms up causing the trailer hitch to release from the ball, subsequently impaling the operator.

Always tow trailers, etc., from the fixed (swinging) drawbar.

SDT
I use this one.

Attachments

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Following Dave and SDT’s recommendations, one should not tow certain trailers with a 3PH-mounted drawbar for the reasons they mention.

One can limit the lower level of fall just by using check-chains, but that will also likely limit the fall of your MMM.

I have a BX also. 2 suggestions:
1. Use a fixed drawbar for towing. I bought this adapter plate for a 2” receiver just for your purpose. You can likely extend it if necessary.

2. Get a Quick Hitch. A QH will allow you to remove your attachment quickly.

I have the fixed drawbar for towing, but also like to keep a 3PH drawbar for skidding trees, etc.

Your trailer mover would likely slide right into a QH. Might need a couple $2 bushings.

I attached a couple pictures. Hopefully make sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

PapaJ

Equipment
Apr 28, 2020
VA
Following Dave and SDT’s recommendations, one should not tow certain trailers with a 3PH-mounted drawbar for the reasons they mention.

One can limit the lower level of fall just by using check-chains, but that will also likely limit the fall of your MMM.

I have a BX also. 2 suggestions:
1. Use a fixed drawbar for towing. I bought this adapter plate for a 2” receiver just for your purpose. You can likely extend it if necessary.

2. Get a Quick Hitch. A QH will allow you to remove your attachment quickly.

I have the fixed drawbar for towing, but also like to keep a 3PH drawbar for skidding trees, etc.

Your trailer mover would likely slide right into a QH. Might need a couple $2 bushings.

I attached a couple pictures. Hopefully make sense.

The hitch that mounts on there, and there are a few options, keep the trailer way to close to the tractor for my liking. Just my personal preference, I won't use one to tow a big trailer or my boat.

The problem with quick hitches is there is no "standard" size, even if you get a land pride QH, some Land Pride implements won't work on it, even if it has the label that says it will. I am no farmer, so I will not be changing implements very often, another reason not to invest (though they are cheap) in a QH.

I'll go with pinning them up eventually. Today, I used a bungee cord. It went down but not all the way, so it worked. The pasture was full of buttercups, and needed to be mowed badly.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
The 3 point hitch attachments that you all are showing will work well to move trailer etc. They are a way to hook up the tractor to the trailer the problem with them is there is no down pressure to keep the whole 3 point system from lifting. Most but not all 3 point systems are designed to pick up weight. The system is not designed to hold down anything. So if you load the rear of the trailer to heavily the hitch will come up. The only way to safely use the tractor is to chain or fasten the drag link arm down.

And as the OP stated he needs to keep the drag links up while he mows. A bungee cord or a chain would work well to keep the links up since it appears to be a pain to fasten the links with the Kubota system that is provided.

PapaJ

Equipment
Apr 28, 2020
VA
The 3 point hitch attachments that you all are showing will work well to move trailer etc. They are a way to hook up the tractor to the trailer the problem with them is there is no down pressure to keep the whole 3 point system from lifting. Most but not all 3 point systems are designed to pick up weight. The system is not designed to hold down anything. So if you load the rear of the trailer to heavily the hitch will come up. The only way to safely use the tractor is to chain or fasten the drag link arm down.

And as the OP stated he needs to keep the drag links up while he mows. A bungee cord or a chain would work well to keep the links up since it appears to be a pain to fasten the links with the Kubota system that is provided.
I'll be making a couple of chains with trailer safety hooks I can throw on while mowing. I only move my empty utility trailer and my pontoon trailer, to mow with. Other than that, I don't tow with the tractor, and if I did, it'd be a much smaller trailer like an ATV trailer to pick up manure out of the pasture or bring feed out to the horse stalls. Appreciate everyone trying to keep my from being decapitated.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Yeah, if the bungee worked, I’d try a check chain.
I think my lower lift arms continue to drop quite a bit after the MMM gets to it mowing height (3”).
Might work without interfering with mower height.
Worth a try.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/countyline-stabilizer-stay-strap-lower
This is 1/2 of a 2 part solution for ford tractors. They go from the tractor top link point to the implement end of the lift arms. The idea was to prevent drawbar from rising and giving a fixed drawbar height (position lever not used when setup this way).

Since you need to use 3pt to raise mower, drill holes in flat stock and use chain between these points.
This will give you a fixed lower limit and still allow trailer movement.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I use this one.
I have one of those, and an overhauling load can cause the three point hitch to ride up with such device unless one uses drawbar stays, once common for vintage Ford tractors but just about unheard of for modern CUTs/SCUTs.

SDT

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/countyline-stabilizer-stay-strap-lower
This is 1/2 of a 2 part solution for ford tractors. They go from the tractor top link point to the implement end of the lift arms. The idea was to prevent drawbar from rising and giving a fixed drawbar height (position lever not used when setup this way).

Since you need to use 3pt to raise mower, drill holes in flat stock and use chain between these points.
This will give you a fixed lower limit and still allow trailer movement.
Bingo.

I have several sets in my vintage Ford stores.

SDT

PapaJ

Equipment
Apr 28, 2020
VA
This is my solution. I am trying to stop the 3PH from going down when I drop a MMM deck, not a 3PT mower

Attachments

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Papa - what I would try is running a chain from one of the eyelets that you would pin the 3PH to, to you draw bar. Maybe a little shorter?

Just throwing out an idea.

PapaJ

Equipment
Apr 28, 2020
VA
Papa - what I would try is running a chain from one of the eyelets that you would pin the 3PH to, to you draw bar. Maybe a little shorter?

Just throwing out an idea.
This would hold the 3PH down. I am trying to keep it up.