3901HST-Steering system leak

rtallichet

Equipment
3901HST-FEL, box blade, backhoe, grapple, rake, forks, piranha bar stump grinder
Dec 11, 2017
Texas
Good afternoon:

Recently noticed a hydraulic leak on my tractor. Hours just over 400.

Pic 1 bottom nut for steering linkage
Pic 2 Just bove the nut. Is the spline supposed to show as it does in this photo?

The leak appears to be coming somewhere near what ill call the steering box. The box and battery tray is covered with oil.

Without removing the battery tray, radiator in to get access to this area does anyone know what the leak could be?

Attachments

tthorkil

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M9540HDC12 / LX2610HSDC / ZD1011-48 / Bobcat S250
Jan 1, 2011
Bagley, MN, United States
I am not sure which models were involved, but there have been a few that have found loose clamps at the oil cooler hose connections at/near the radiator.

Reactions: 2 users

69 SS

Equipment
2015 L3901 HST,with Canopy,LA 525 FEL with SSQA bucket
Sep 26, 2015
Ft. Inn sc
Just went thru this, not the steering. Oil lines to cooler. Look up my post about this. Lots of details about doing the repair for this. Did this a couple of months ago. Not too bad of a repair job. If you are hands on type . If not send to dealer. Read my post and then decide.
Good luck on all your projects.

Reactions: 1 users

rtallichet

Equipment
3901HST-FEL, box blade, backhoe, grapple, rake, forks, piranha bar stump grinder
Dec 11, 2017
Texas
Just went thru this, not the steering. Oil lines to cooler. Look up my post about this. Lots of details about doing the repair for this. Did this a couple of months ago. Not too bad of a repair job. If you are hands on type . If not send to dealer. Read my post and then decide.
Good luck on all your projects.
Just read your post and some into the WSM. Thank you for this information. How did you access the area to replace the hoses?

Last edited:

69 SS

Equipment
2015 L3901 HST,with Canopy,LA 525 FEL with SSQA bucket
Sep 26, 2015
Ft. Inn sc
First up take out the battery. I didn't take off the FEL,wished I would have ,or block it in the up position so that is safe. I. 66 yrs old and it was a workout for me as most of the job is done from the front of the tractor, used a creeper to get up under the tractor,did it on the paved driveway,bucket of oil dry or kitty litter to catch the spill,do the long hose first from the oil cooler. I let mine drain overnight into an oil change pan cause it will drip forever if you don't. As per my post the hose clamps were way too tight ,used a razor knife to cut hoses off the cooler ends. You can see from underneath the tractor where the short hose is connected between the cooler and the steel line, kinda tight work space with limited visibility, also used a headlamp ro help me see up in space where short hose is. Cant emphasize enough about the Horror Freight hose pliers, would have been impossible for me due to the overtightening and distortion of the ends of the cooler lines. Probably should get extra Kubota SUDT 2 fluid,mine required almost a gallon to bring back to full on dipstick. Hope this helps. Post about your experience. Let us know about the condition of the hard lines,if they were overtightened and distorted. Good luck on all your projects.

rtallichet

Equipment
Dec 11, 2017
Texas
Just read your post and some into the WSM. Thank you for this information. How did you access the area to replace the hoses?
Found the culprit. Wow. This looks like a project fishing it out. Thanks again for your guidance.

Attachments

Last edited:

rtallichet

Equipment
Dec 11, 2017
Texas
First up take out the battery. I didn't take off the FEL,wished I would have ,or block it in the up position so that is safe. I. 66 yrs old and it was a workout for me as most of the job is done from the front of the tractor, used a creeper to get up under the tractor,did it on the paved driveway,bucket of oil dry or kitty litter to catch the spill,do the long hose first from the oil cooler. I let mine drain overnight into an oil change pan cause it will drip forever if you don't. As per my post the hose clamps were way too tight ,used a razor knife to cut hoses off the cooler ends. You can see from underneath the tractor where the short hose is connected between the cooler and the steel line, kinda tight work space with limited visibility, also used a headlamp ro help me see up in space where short hose is. Cant emphasize enough about the Horror Freight hose pliers, would have been impossible for me due to the overtightening and distortion of the ends of the cooler lines. Probably should get extra Kubota SUDT 2 fluid,mine required almost a gallon to bring back to full on dipstick. Hope this helps. Post about your experience. Let us know about the condition of the hard lines,if they were overtightened and distorted. Good luck on all your projects.
I finished the job prior to receiving your reply. You are certainly right about tight working conditions, I am 67 yrs and challenged with arthritis in my fingers. I have learned to take it slow and I get the done. I was able to use the same hose because there was enough excess length on the steel tubing to make it work. So far after a full day of work all is good. Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

MountainMeadows

Equipment
L2501, JD 655, Ford 841, JD 6x4 Gator, Gravely 432.
Jun 6, 2022
Poconos, PA
Found the culprit. Wow. This looks like a project fishing it out. Thanks again for your guidance.
Judging from your photo, you need to pull the radiator screen and clean it, otherwise you'll be having more serious issues with overheating.

Reactions: 1 user