3901 purchase

PeteW

Equipment
Maybe 3901
Mar 10, 2021
Western wi
I am closing in a the purchase of a new 3901. Inventory in western WI is slim and used inventory is rare and expensive. My current offer from a dealer for a new l3901 with loader ssqa, loaded R-14 tires, wheels spacers, and engine heater for $26375. 60” landpride mower is 1775. $28150 for the package. The price seems a little high, but reasonable for the current inventory. I would appreciate your input on price. For reference a 5 year old l3901 with ssqa R-1 and 150 hours is $21000
Thanks.

Last edited:

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
That price is about what I would expect. I just paid 24k for mine (hst, ssqa, loaded R-4, heater). I checked with a few places and most were in the 26 neck of the woods, but the place I got mine from moves a lot of product so they were able to get lower. I also got a pull type 78" meteor snow blower for I think it was 4200 and 42" ssqa forks for about 600.

It's pretty ridiculous how tractors and implements hold their value. 21k for that used tractor seems a bit steep, but with a seller giving room for haggling, that's about what you'd see as an asking price on CL. If you saw that same tractor on CL for 18K, you better be on your way out to pick it up as soon as it's listed, otherwise you're going to miss it.

PeteW

Equipment
Maybe 3901
Mar 10, 2021
Western wi
That price is about what I would expect. I just paid 24k for mine (hst, ssqa, loaded R-4, heater). I checked with a few places and most were in the 26 neck of the woods, but the place I got mine from moves a lot of product so they were able to get lower. I also got a pull type 78" meteor snow blower for I think it was 4200 and 42" ssqa forks for about 600.

It's pretty ridiculous how tractors and implements hold their value. 21k for that used tractor seems a bit steep, but with a seller giving room for haggling, that's about what you'd see as an asking price on CL. If you saw that same tractor on CL for 18K, you better be on your way out to pick it up as soon as it's listed, otherwise you're going to miss it.
Thank you for the information, geography seems to really impact price.

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
... Gear drive or HST?...
It's about $1k difference in price between the two transmissions.

Also, it's more of a seller's market now with low inventory.

That used one for $7k less would afford you a grapple, Top-N-Tilt hydraulics.... and a few more implements.

New is over rated, in my mind...

Reactions: 1 user

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
In general, new is over-rated. I agree with you there. In my case, the price difference between new and used is relatively minimal. Add 0% financing on and... Well, they roped ME in, anyway.

PeteW

Equipment
Maybe 3901
Mar 10, 2021
Western wi
Good morning. I thought I would give an update to my purchase. Yesterday we signed the paperwork on a L3901 HST and Loader with SSQA. I added a 60 mower and box blade. The dealer included R14 tires loaded with rim guard, wheel spacers, a engine heater and a quick hitch. All told we ended up paying $28,840. With such low inventory in my area I think it was fair price. Thanks for the responses you all gave to my first post.

Reactions: 1 users

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Good morning. I thought I would give an update to my purchase. Yesterday we signed the paperwork on a L3901 HST and Loader with SSQA. I added a 60 mower and box blade. The dealer included R14 tires loaded with rim guard, wheel spacers, a engine heater and a quick hitch. All told we ended up paying $28,840. With such low inventory in my area I think it was fair price. Thanks for the responses you all gave to my first post.
Congrats on your purchase. I like my L3901 a lot, now it’s time to spend some more money. Best accessory is telescopic 3pt rear stabilizers, about $185, I also added a rear basket, fits on rops very useful for carrying chain saw and extras.

Post a few photos when it arrives.

PeteW

Equipment
Maybe 3901
Mar 10, 2021
Western wi
Congrats on your purchase. I like my L3901 a lot, now it’s time to spend some more money. Best accessory is telescopic 3pt rear stabilizers, about $185, I also added a rear basket, fits on rops very useful for carrying chain saw and extras.

Post a few photos when it arrives.
I informed the lovely Mrs. Pete that buying a tractor is much like buying a farm, the initial purchase is the cheapest part. She is already looking at tillers.

bmblank

Equipment
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
SHE'S looking? As soon as she decides, you go out and get it. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. (I'm definitely not calling Mrs. Pete a horse...)

WDF

Equipment
Kubota L2501 HST/FEL
Jan 4, 2021
Central Florida
You did not do bad at all with that price, I had a similar quote pretty much the same stuff last year.
Enjoy it!

Fido Farms

Equipment
L3901, 35 Massey, Summit X 146, Polaris 700 RMK, Yamaha Viking
May 27, 2018
Canada
As far as telescoping rear three point hitch stabilizers go, bought a set for mine but took them off. Had a couple attachments they wouldn't open wide enough for with R4 tires and no spacers. Just a heads up. Some of my attachments are a little older so maybe new stuff is narrower in general .

PeteW

Equipment
Maybe 3901
Mar 10, 2021
Western wi
As far as telescoping rear three point hitch stabilizers go, bought a set for mine but took them off. Had a couple attachments they wouldn't open wide enough for with R4 tires and no spacers. Just a heads up. Some of my attachments are a little older so maybe new stuff is narrower in general .
I went with the quick hitch. So I am going to hold off on additional upgrades to the 3 points. I did make a ballast box yesterday. I used a King Kutter carry all frame and formed up a 36" wide by 12" think by 24" tall concrete block form with 6 anchor bolts. 13 bags of concrete = 5.85 cuft of concrete at 150 pound per cuft+ 877 pounds. between the concrete, carry all and quick I should be just under 1000 pounds of ballast. The ballast box, with loaded rear tires and 1.5" wheel spacers hopefully keep me well planted to the ground.

any opinions and bale spears and pallet forks set ups?

Fido Farms

Equipment
L3901, 35 Massey, Summit X 146, Polaris 700 RMK, Yamaha Viking
May 27, 2018
Canada
FYI. Just ordering up a set of Pats Quik hitch. I'm thinking I will be able to use the new stabilizers now because I wont have swing the arms out as far so they should work.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
I went with the quick hitch. So I am going to hold off on additional upgrades to the 3 points. I did make a ballast box yesterday. I used a King Kutter carry all frame and formed up a 36" wide by 12" think by 24" tall concrete block form with 6 anchor bolts. 13 bags of concrete = 5.85 cuft of concrete at 150 pound per cuft+ 877 pounds. between the concrete, carry all and quick I should be just under 1000 pounds of ballast. The ballast box, with loaded rear tires and 1.5" wheel spacers hopefully keep me well planted to the ground.

any opinions and bale spears and pallet forks set ups?
Just a thought for you to ponder. I ordered a quick attach back plate from Titan Attachments for $220.00 delivered. Found a set of fork lift forks at my work on an old fork lift that no longer would run. Painted them black and presto I was set. If you have a fork lift company within driving distance you might could acquire you some used ones for real cheap.

When I talked to the guy here that services the lifts he said they tear down the old lifts and recycle them.

If the above want work I like Titan Attachments. By back plate has holes to add spears should I choose. Plan to weld a draw bar hitch to it so I can use it to move trailers around when I need to. Forks slide off easily but are a little heavy.

Good luck
Jay