3010 vs.roundbales

wifeloveshorses

Equipment
b7100 loader, hoe
Jun 15, 2013
emporium, Pa
I am looking at a 3010 to use to unload roundbales and stack them in my barn. Tractor will have a hoe on for ballast. Anyone out there in this situation?Will this tractor do this job?Hey supplier says they weigh up to 1200 lbs. Would like to stack them 3 high.Am planning a quick detach skid steer front for bale speer.Thanks for any help.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I'm doing that with my L3000 and it's all it can handle. I bale my own hay and have to cut my baler down so the tractor can handle them. If the bales you get are really 1200 lbs. I would lean toward no, it won't do the job.

I assume you are talking about 4x5 bales. If so I don't believe even if it will pick them up you won't have enough lift height to stack 3 high.

I'll tell you how close I cut it with mine. I worked with my baler on size and density until I got the biggest bale my tractor would lift. They are about 4 x 4 1/3 and my density is set on 875 - 900 psi.

I baled beside another baler that rolled 5' wide x 3.5' tall bales. The windrows were about equal and if we started at the same time I could actually go farther than he could before my baler was full. Another words I feel like my bale had just alittle more hay in it. When we hauled them out I could pick my bales up without any problem. Tried to move one of his and couldn't even get it off the ground. Even though the total weight was almost the same the extra leverage of a 5' wide bale instead of a 4' made enough difference that I couldn't handle them.

Hate to be long winded but I was trying to give you enough info to possibly help out.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I hate one of your first posts ended with bad news but it's better to find out now instead of later.

Maybe this will help you while you're doing research. This isn't exact science but rule of thumb on Kubota loaders take the loader model number and multiply x 2 and that is about what it will pick up in the bucket. ex. LA 480 loader will handle about 960lbs.

So to start getting in the range to handle 1200 lb rolls you need a tractor with a loader model starting in the 600 + range. Something along the lines of the L3940 with LA 724 loader would be in the lower range size wise that will start to do the job you are wanting to do.

Just out of curiousity what size bale does you hay supplier have?