$3000 for dealer installed top and tilt: fair?

barndoor

Equipment
LX2610
Mar 10, 2021
Santa Cruz County, California
Still waiting for my LX2610SU to come in, may be months, but I'm already adding options! I'd like to add top and tilt, or at least two rear remotes so I can add it later. Dealer gave me a quick quote of $3k for the whole package installed, which is semi-attractive since I can get this as part of the financing. But it feels a little expensive giving some of the prices I've seen floated around here. I'm a good mechanic and wouldn't mind installing it myself, but not if it won't save me a good amount. I've been looking for the whole goods catalog but can't find anything to get the parts needed and the price. So what's the verdict? is $3k worth it, or could I save a grand doing it myself?

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
My two remotes on my 2610 were about $1800. One double acting, one float. This didn’t include cylinders.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Still waiting for my LX2610SU to come in, may be months, but I'm already adding options! I'd like to add top and tilt, or at least two rear remotes so I can add it later. Dealer gave me a quick quote of $3k for the whole package installed, which is semi-attractive since I can get this as part of the financing. But it feels a little expensive giving some of the prices I've seen floated around here. I'm a good mechanic and wouldn't mind installing it myself, but not if it won't save me a good amount. I've been looking for the whole goods catalog but can't find anything to get the parts needed and the price. So what's the verdict? is $3k worth it, or could I save a grand doing it myself?
My gut tells me you could save a grand doing it yourself. BUT I do not really know.

I do know that 15 years ago, I installed 4 remotes on my B2910 for a total cost of about $900. That was for everything. The cylinders were extra. Did the dealer's quote include the cylinders? Perhaps so, at that price.

My remotes all included built in check valves, except for one with a float function. Doing it yourself gives you some flexibility in features not available with factory remotes, possibly.

So maybe today I could duplicate what I did back then for say $2,000. BUT that would be for 4 remotes, not 2. Cylinders would be extra.

Just food for thought. Someone else hopefully will answer your question more directly.

If you reach the point of doing it yourself, PM me and I will see if I can dig up the thread I started at TBN back then, that shows in detail everything that was involved in my build...

ranger danger

Equipment
Kubota M6060, MEB 802A tactically quiet generator
Jun 11, 2017
East of Placerville Ca
When I bought my M6060 the dealer quoted me $1800 for 2 extra rear hydraulic connections installed. I asked how much for the kits so I could install them myself. $600 for each kit. Thats $600 for each kit plus $600 to install them. For the top and tilt cylinders was another $1400 ($700 each). I decided to have the remotes installed by the dealer because I just didn't have the time to do it myself. I bought the cylinders for $200 each and had the hoses made for $200 more. Thats $600 for both cylinders installed by me and working. For me, the math was simple. I saved time on the remotes and that cost me $600. I saved $1100 on the cylinders and that cost me a small amount of time.

Reactions: 1 user

barndoor

Equipment
LX2610
Mar 10, 2021
the quote was for everything, including cylinders. I've asked for the quote to just install the two rear remotes, but even if that were $1800, and I got cylinders from from fitrite (maybe $1000?), I'm not saving much.
kubotas own site has the rear remote option available for around $1300 in the "build my kubota" link, but maybe that's just for parts. Anyone know where I can look at the whole goods catalog? I hear it mentioned everywhere, but can't seem to find one online to actually look at.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
the quote was for everything, including cylinders. I've asked for the quote to just install the two rear remotes, but even if that were $1800, and I got cylinders from from fitrite (maybe $1000?), I'm not saving much.
kubotas own site has the rear remote option available for around $1300 in the "build my kubota" link, but maybe that's just for parts. Anyone know where I can look at the whole goods catalog? I hear it mentioned everywhere, but can't seem to find one online to actually look at.

LX starts on page 42. this was current March 2020, prices may have gone up a touch.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Dealer quoted me ballpark $3K for complete top link, side link, 3 rear remotes (one float and two center return). That was the price quoted when I bought the tractor and again a year later when I asked about it again. That included cylinders, labor, take it in one day and pick up the next day ready to work. Completely turn key job. Most of it is parts. Kubota valves with controls in the factory slots.

In hindsight I would have had the remotes added when I bought it but I failed to recognize how much time I would spend getting off the tractor and adjusting the 3 point for boxblading and back blading and also failed to recognize how much of that I’d actually be doing routinely.

When I got serious they sourced the parts and it went up to $3100 due to shipping on the cylinders which aren’t Kubota. Leaving off the third remote would have knocked off about $500. You could probably save some $ going with A/M or using the loader valve with diverters or something creative (seems like many here have done some pretty creative stuff).

Dealer did warn me that due to the way the relief valves work, the cylinders will tend to move when the tractor is shut down so they have to be readjusted every time you start it up after a shut down of any significant duration. For the various A/M solutions, I don’t know if they hold when the engine isn’t running or not.

I’m aware your machine and mine aren’t identical. Also, I opted for three rear remotes even though I don’t have a specific use for the third because my tractor is set up to support three and the only added cost for the third is parts since they already have it apart to the degree necessary when they’re putting on two. Adding the third later myself wouldn’t be hard but it wouldn’t be nothing either.

Yes, I could save some by either going A/M or buying the parts and doing it myself but my expertise in hydraulics is limited and if they do it, I know it’s right, which is worth something to me. I’m also not retired so my time is worth more than it would be if I wasn’t working 50 to 60 hours on a normal week.

So, yeah $3K out the door for a turn key job at the dealer using Kubota parts where applicable including cylinders probably isn’t stupid.

On the other hand, my brother just added three remotes, top link and side link to a JD similar in size to mine. Dealer labor was $2K on top of $3K in parts so he bought a $350 tire handler cage to deal with the rear wheel (around 600lb same as mine) R/I and did it himself.

I may be stupid or lazy or both but I’m having the dealer do the turn key thing if the parts ever come in. Some stuff they had in stock but not all of it. Doing it myself would have required sourcing all the parts myself and conducting adequate research to get the right cylinders and hoses (time), 3 hour round trip to borrow the wheel handler and another 3 hours to return it (time), and probably half a day or better to install assuming I got all the right parts the first time (more time). If you have the time and something to handle the rear wheel R/I (if necessary on yours) maybe it’s worth doing yourself.

If you don’t mind choosing between using the loader v using the top/tilt maybe you save a lot by just using diverters off the loader valve and some long hoses. Already have a Farmall with A/M 3 point set up that way and it’s just not something I care to repeat on the Kubota for my chores.

You have some options but if dealer install is your choice the price isn’t anything special but also not crazy in my admittedly limited experience.

Last edited:

barndoor

Equipment
LX2610
Mar 10, 2021
Dealer quoted me ballpark $3K for complete top link, side link, 3 rear remotes (one float and two center return). That was the price quoted when I bought the tractor and again a year later when I asked about it again. That included cylinders, labor, take it in one day and pick up the next day ready to work. Completely turn key job. Most of it is parts. Kubota valves with controls in the factory slots.

In hindsight I would have had the remotes added when I bought it but I failed to recognize how much time I would spend getting off the tractor and adjusting the 3 point for boxblading and back blading and also failed to recognize how much of that I’d actually be doing routinely.

When I got serious they sourced the parts and it went up to $3100 due to shipping on the cylinders which aren’t Kubota. Leaving off the third remote would have knocked off about $500. You could probably save some $ going with A/M or using the loader valve with diverters or something creative (seems like many here have done some pretty creative stuff).

Dealer did warn me that due to the way the relief valves work, the cylinders will tend to move when the tractor is shut down so they have to be readjusted every time you start it up after a shut down of any significant duration. For the various A/M solutions, I don’t know if they hold when the engine isn’t running or not.

I’m aware your machine and mine aren’t identical. Also, I opted for three rear remotes even though I don’t have a specific use for the third because my tractor is set up to support three and the only added cost for the third is parts since they already have it apart to the degree necessary when their putting on two. Adding the third later myself wouldn’t be hard but it wouldn’t be nothing either.

Yes, I could save some by either going A/M or buying the parts and doing it myself but my expertise in hydraulics is limited and if they do it, I know it’s right, which is worth something to me. I’m also not retired so my time is worth more than it would be if I wasn’t working 50 to 60 hours on a normal week.

So, yeah $3K out the door for a turn key job at the dealer using Kubota parts where applicable including cylinders probably isn’t stupid.

On the other hand, my brother just added three remotes, top link and side link to a JD similar in size to mine. Dealer labor was $2K on top of $3K in parts so he bought a $350 tire handler cage to deal with the rear wheel (around 600lb same as mine) R/I and did it himself.

I may be stupid or lazy or both but I’m having the dealer do the turn key thing if the parts ever come in. Some stuff they had in stock but not all of it. Doing it myself would have required sourcing all the parts myself and conducting adequate research to get the right cylinders and hoses (time), 3 hour round trip to borrow the wheel handler and another 3 hours to return it (time), and probably half a day or better to install assuming I got all the right parts the first time (more time). If you have the time and something to handle the rear wheel R/I (if necessary on yours) maybe it’s worth doing yourself.

If you don’t mind choosing between using the loader v using the top/tilt maybe you save a lot by just using diverters off the loader valve and some long hoses. Already have a Farmall with A/M 3 point set up that way and it’s just not something I care to repeat on the Kubota for my chores.

You have some options but if dealer install is your choice the price isn’t anything special but also not crazy in my admittedly limited experience.
good advice! I'm with you, and didn't feel the $3k was crazy. Everyone deserves to make money on their work, so unless I could save a grand or more I'm leaning towards having the dealer do it. In fact my sales guy just said they could install the two rear remotes for $1500, leaving the cylinders for me or just "later". This feels reasonable, and would have the added benefit of likely falling under the dealer warranty, or at the very least standing behind their work.

DDCD

Equipment
1964 MF135, L2501
May 8, 2021
Oklahoma
I just bought a 2501 with two rear float remotes. Parts took a week to get to the dealer. Here’s how they priced it:

float valve: 375x2 = 750
1st pos lever kit : 388
2nd pos lever kit: 690

total: 1828 not counting tax.
I did not order the cylinders from Kubota. I ordered them from fit rite for about 1000.

I’m fairly mechanical but time is money and I know nothing about hydraulics. I’d have the dealer install them. Total with front third function is about 3k.

NCL4701

Equipment
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
good advice! I'm with you, and didn't feel the $3k was crazy. Everyone deserves to make money on their work, so unless I could save a grand or more I'm leaning towards having the dealer do it. In fact my sales guy just said they could install the two rear remotes for $1500, leaving the cylinders for me or just "later". This feels reasonable, and would have the added benefit of likely falling under the dealer warranty, or at the very least standing behind their work.
That’s the same quote I’ve gotten both times on remotes only. $1000 for one. There’s a hydraulic manifold block that’s required and the same R/I for access is required regardless of whether you add one, two, or three on mine so the first one is legitimately most expensive. $500 for the second. $500 for the third. Making one a float increased part price a bit. I thought about getting my own cylinders as I could handle sourcing and hooking up a couple of cylinders but my dealer gets a better price on them than I ever could so they were a better deal than Agri-Supply, Tractor Supply, etc. I’m kind of glad I didn’t assume the dealer would be the most expensive place to source the cylinders.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
In my opinion many but not all adults (me for example) continue to boot strap as they had when they were younger and it was a necessity. When we die there will no doubt be a "pile" of money ,small or large, left over. In my opinion if you have a career , some savings and not a lot of debt , to try to save $1,000 on something somewhat complicated that will take a good bit of time is not worth it. Now if you enjoy "wrenching" that's a different story. I just had 2 carpenters putting shutters on my house for 2 days . $55 per hour each. When I was younger I would have gasped at the notion. They did a great job and I didn't even see them working during the day as I was elsewhere. Another thought; $1,000 is not a lot of money these days. The shutters cost $9,000 (Thats a lot of money) . Took me 5 years to work up the nerve to buy them! The tractor is a tool where spending on it can be justified. The shutters are a non functioning relic of a bygone era. A waste if you ask me. Ask the wife...... well ... as they say "happy wife happy life".

Reactions: 3 users

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I’d get the 2 sets of rear remotes fitted as I purchased the tractor. You have not stated why you want top and tilt cylinders or how much you plan to use them.

I use hydraulic top links on my tractors but have never found a serious need to use a tilt cylinder. I understand why you may want a tilt cylinder but personally I have other machines with 6 way front blades to do that work.

On my MX I had Brian at Fit Rite supply my hydraulic top link. For my L series tractors I did not want to wait 6 months and purchased a hydraulic top link and hose kit from Agristoreusa.com for a total cost of $265. My suggestion is to move in stages, buy an inexpensive hydraulic top link first, if you feel you need a tilt cylinder you can add one at any time.

$3,000 all in cost seems expensive, the last tractor I purchased 2 years ago was 1,300 for 2 sets of rear remotes fitted on a L3901. $265 for hydraulic top link, I’m sure I could buy a tilt for cylinder for less than $400, my total cost would be in the $2,000 range. However I know the market has changed in many ways recently.

Last edited:

barndoor

Equipment
LX2610
Mar 10, 2021
This is why I love kubotas and this forum! Lot's of tractors out there and lots of experienced people who have gone through the same things. Thanks to everyone. In the end I'm having the dealer install two rear remotes for $1500 (slightly less really). After speaking to my sales guy yesterday he actually suggested doing it in phases, and that I could just get the cylinders myself later and install them, saving money. So everyone here can expect a new post in the future with me asking what cylinders to get! ;)

ranger danger

Equipment
Kubota M6060, MEB 802A tactically quiet generator
Jun 11, 2017
East of Placerville Ca
Got my hydraulic top link from haytools.com Crazy old coot who thinks like me runs the place. Good prices, fast shipping and a great conversation.

NCL4701

Equipment
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I’d get the 2 sets of rear remotes fitted as I purchased the tractor. You have not stated why you want top and tilt cylinders or how much you plan to use them.

I use hydraulic top links on my tractors but have never found a serious need to use a tilt cylinder. I understand why you may want a tilt cylinder but personally I have other machines with 6 way front blades to do that work.

On my MX I had Brian at Fit Rite supply my hydraulic top link. For my L series tractors I did not want to wait 6 months and purchased a hydraulic top link and hose kit from Agristoreusa.com for a total cost of $265. My suggestion is to move in stages, buy an inexpensive hydraulic top link first, if you feel you need a tilt cylinder you can add one at any time.

$3,000 all in cost seems expensive, the last tractor I purchased 2 years ago was 1,300 for 2 sets of rear remotes fitted on a L3901. $265 for hydraulic top link, I’m sure I could buy a tilt for cylinder for less than $400, my total cost would be in the $2,000 range. However I know the market has changed in many ways recently.
I don’t know what use a hydraulic tilt would be unless you do a lot of blade work. I knew I had a lot to do as a one time project on our long neglected road, ditches, and trails but didn’t anticipate the routine nature of touch ups required to keep them in good condition. Figured I could save money by skipping the rear hydraulics and make it through the rehab project, which I did, but now that it seems it’s always something somewhere needing attention at least monthly (we have a LOT of road and trails) turning turnbuckles is getting old, both top link and side link.

Currently have a couple of jobs I’m putting off pending the top and tail because I know they’ll take probably a third less time and much less effort with the hydraulics v turning the turnbuckles. Don’t have tilt on my back blade and of course no tilt on box blade. If you’re doing a lot of blade work and don’t have hydraulic tilt on the blade itself, the hydraulic side link makes sense to me. Otherwise it doesn’t.

Hydraulic top link is a pretty nice upgrade regardless what you’re doing with the 3 point.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Many folks here at OTT have gotten their T-n-T stuff from a fellow OTT member. They seem very happy.

WHW

Equipment
Kubota 4701
Interesting,

I have just gotten an estimate for three remotes for my 4701 from dealer. $3300.00 out the door without cylinders/hoses! I think I am doing this myself, if he doesn't want to work with me.

barndoor

Equipment
LX2610
Mar 10, 2021
Interesting,

I have just gotten an estimate for three remotes for my 4701 from dealer. $3300.00 out the door without cylinders/hoses! I think I am doing this myself, if he doesn't want to work with me.
sounds a little steep to me. I couldn't say if my LX is that different from your 4710, but my two remotes installed for less than half the cost of 3 doesn't seem great.

NCL4701

Equipment
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Interesting,

Wow. I feel better about $3100 for three remotes, cylinders, and hoses all installed.