3 pt implement taking off and putting on

eliot3b4

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Nov 7, 2019
Eliot, Maine
I have watched Tractor Mike's video, several times. So this is a good resource for putting an implement on, but what about taking it off? Disconnect the implement from the PTO, then what? Also with regards to "blocking" the implement, where? Again, I apologize for being stupid here, but I do wish to learn and be able to do this myself. I have several things to get done this summer, and this requires taking stuff on and off. Yes, I have a quick hitch, but the flail mower, and the spreader cannot be connected to the quick hitch. The rear blade can be connected to the quick connect.

eliot3b4

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Nov 7, 2019
Eliot, Maine
I wanted to buy another JD because of that quick connect system, but the Kubota is a much better machine. I love the cab on the 2650 and JD has nothing similar.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I have watched Tractor Mike's video, several times. So this is a good resource for putting an implement on, but what about taking it off? Disconnect the implement from the PTO, then what? Also with regards to "blocking" the implement, where? Again, I apologize for being stupid here, but I do wish to learn and be able to do this myself. I have several things to get done this summer, and this requires taking stuff on and off. Yes, I have a quick hitch, but the flail mower, and the spreader cannot be connected to the quick hitch. The rear blade can be connected to the quick connect.
Tractor Mike is an experienced guy and I found it funny his 3-pt video gave him as much trouble as it does everyone else.
As for DIS-mounting a 3-pt implement, ...
First- Shut the PTO ...OFF...(or kill the engine) and disconnect the PTO shaft.
2nd- Lower the implement to the ground and remove the lynch-pins from the lower-arm pins and slide the lower 3-pt arms off the implement pins.
3rd- Adjust the upper-link-arm length as necessary to relieve tension and remove the upper link arm from the implement. Store the upper link arm in the tractor’s bracket (if equipped), or remove it completely from the tractor for storage.

Orange1forme

Equipment
B2650 HSDC, filled tires, wheel spacers, B2728B , LA534A FEL, 3rd valve kit
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
My suggestion is if you have concrete pad to work with, get a quick hitch, get your dealer to make sure any pto implements have shafts correct length to fit it, may have to get a longer one, and then put all your implements on moving dollies. Some implements need 3, 2 on back part like the blade, and one for jack. Reinforce dollies as needed. Then you just roll them up to back of tractor and pick up with hooks. You'll find you have to adjust the top link so quick hitch is vertical or it won't pick up.
This is my set up with my B2650 w/cab.

I don't have any powered implements, and can only imagine how much easier this would make hook up, but even on my land plane and back blade it is so easy.

I added a Harbor Freight quick hitch, too. It makes things even easier. It did need a new top hook, but that was a simple online purchase and swap.

I do this for my front mount snowblower, too.

Last edited:

Secret Squirrel

Equipment
B2650
Apr 11, 2020
Clarkston Michigan
I love my quick hitch. Best thing I bought for changing 3 point implements. My biggest trouble is getting my grapple on and off my SSQA. I blew my back out hooking that up. I do love it though.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
When taking off the implement be sure you set in down on some type of lumber or pallets to keep it off the ground.

And where it is fairly easy to get the tractor backed up to the implement.

Loosen the turnbuckles on the lift arms before trying to remove them.

Set implement down, remove top link, lift arms and pto shaft and any chains on the pto shield.

Slowly move tractor away from implement to be sure you got everything disconnected.

Look around and pick up all the lynchpins that were removed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
@SS... HOW did you 'break your back' using 2 loader levers ? I don't get off my ride to put on/take off my SSQA implements ? Just curious as I'm kinda missing L3-4-5....

Also

when using 'lumber ' to keep implements off the ground, I use TWO skids. The one on the ground will 'dissolve' into the ground after a season or two. The 'implement base unit' (top skid) will be SOLID for years though !

HeyDoc

Equipment
B 7510
Oct 18, 2009
Conn.
This is my set up with my B2650 w/cab.

I don't have any powered implements, and can only imagine how much easier this would make hook up, but even on my land plane and back blade it is so easy.

I added a Harbor Freight quick hitch, too. It makes things even easier. It did need a new top hook, but that was a simple online purchase and swap.

I do this for my front mount snowblower, too.
What did you find for a replacement top-hook ? My quick-hitch will work with some implements but not others due to the top-hook position. Thanks for advice

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
yeesh...who LOVES 3pt implements ? Royal PITA.
Bought a 'new-to-me', used 7' cultivaltor and spent OVER an hour getting it onto my D-14. It wasn't quite, exactly dead centered or parallel and I suppose being on dirt/gravel didn't help. Even with a large assortment of solid wood blocking for height adjustment, it was STILL a PITB.....
Ok, approaching 70 so maybe my patience is wearing thin.......
Today's rainy day task, make another 3pt to SC adapter, using it will reduce the time to 60 seconds NOT 60+ minutes.
Rant over...time to cut&weld steel.
Jay

Orange1forme

Equipment
Dec 1, 2018
Wa

HeyDoc

Equipment
B 7510
Oct 18, 2009
Conn.
Excellent ! Thanks Orange1. That's exactly what I'm looking for, and the reviews all confirm it corrects the problem !

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
What did you find for a replacement top-hook ? My quick-hitch will work with some implements but not others due to the top-hook position. Thanks for advice
I just came across this a couple months ago.

Haven't looked a them real close or gotten one yet, but I think it would make my Harbor Freight QH a little easier to use with a couple of my implements.

Kenny is a member here on OTT, and folks really like his products:

http://www.boltonhooks.com/HFT_QH.html

Last edited:

Orange1forme

Equipment
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
I just came across this a couple months ago.

Haven't looked a them real close or gotten one yet, but I think it would make my Harbor Freight QH a little easier to use with a couple of my implements.

Kenny is a member here on OTT, and folks really like his products:

http://www.boltonhooks.com/HFT_QH.html
I think the Amazon item I got was from him.

It worked out cheaper, quite a bit, on the shipping to get it from Amazon.

HeyDoc

Equipment
B 7510
Oct 18, 2009
Conn.
Just ordered one yesterday. I'll post an update, with some pics, if it actually solves the problem with some implements.

FrozenOrange

Equipment
L3901HST, B7100
May 8, 2017
North Pole Alaska
The two handiest things I have for mounting/dismounting 3 pt implements are a 5ft prybar and a rubber mallet. Wierd.... I know. I can use the prybar to lift, move, adjust the implements or arms as necessary and the mallet to thump things on/off. Those two things keep me from getting tattled on... "Grandma. Grandpa said some naughty words!" I hate "The Look" ha ha

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
I made an adapter to convert my 5', 3pt tiller to snap-coupler. NOW it takes me less than 1 minute to hookup and go 'play in the fields', and NO fiddling with any adjustments.15 seconds to backup and connect, 30 seconds to get PTO on, 15 to verify all is good. Not to bad for the near 70 guy missing coulple of discs, I figure.