3 pt hitch downpressure?

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
I have a 2013 L3800 and would like to have down pressure on my 3 point hitch.. Is this possible.. Someone told me that a top and tilt doesn't work due to the lower arms not being stationary..
Anyone done this before?
Not to be a smart a## but you can have as much down pressure as you want,its sold at the home center in 7 1/2 x 15 1/2 cubes. Sorry the only color they have is sort of a gray.

Adding weight to your implement is the only way to gain down pressurre.

A hyd top link will let you angle the implement while moving and that will let you get the cutting edge of a blade at a better angle but whatever pressure it puts down the lift arms pivot up and negate it. The tilt in a top and tilt just lets you angle or level the implement hydraulically instead of screwing in/out the side link to the 3ph.

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
One question there marc,, why do you need to put down pressure on the 3 point?

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
A lot of folks ask about down pressure on the 3 point, but only one manufacturer that comes to mind (Belarus) ever did it. There must be a down side, or tractor makers would include it. As stated, the only option is to add weight.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Maybe me but I would think you could get into a lot of trouble putting to much load on the 3pt things have a tendency to snap off when used like that

bulldog_shotgun

Equipment
B2150HST
Feb 3, 2013
SW, Ohio
A lot of folks ask about down pressure on the 3 point, but only one manufacturer that comes to mind (Belarus) ever did it. There must be a down side, or tractor makers would include it. As stated, the only option is to add weight.
FYI several manufacturers have had tractors with down pressure. IH used to build some and my dad has a JD 2010 that has individual control over each side lower arm and very large springs to provide some down pressure. i also know that at least one of the duetz-allis models had down pressure.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
The 3ph is designed to pick up about a ton, depending on the tractor. It can generally pull anything the tractor can. Since most implements weigh in at less than half a ton, you can generally toss a couple hundred pounds on the implement to make it dig down. I frequently put about 250 lbs on my back blade to make it scrape better.

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
Yes it can be done, replace the side links of the 3pt hitch with longer than normal hydraulic side links. Not advisable though, the internal lift stops are not made to take the kind of stresses that could be put on them. :(

The problem with putting down pressure on the implement based on the weight of the tractor is that you now lose traction. You can put all the weight of the tractor on the implement, but now with the rear tires in the air, what are you going to pull all that weight with, the fronts? NOT A GOOD IDEA. :eek:

It is best to have an implement that is built with heavy material, that way the implement itself can withstand all of the stresses put on it because of the weight. A lightweight implement that has weight added to it will eventually fail. They just are not structurally built to take the stress that can occur from the additional weight. ;)

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
My old JD 2020 had 3 settings for the 3pt which IIRC were down pressure, fixed, and float. I don't recall ever using down pressure.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
My old JD 2020 had 3 settings for the 3pt which IIRC were down pressure, fixed, and float. I don't recall ever using down pressure.
Sorry JD 2020 has no hyd down pressure on the 3 pt just gravity.
D=depth
L= load or also know as draft sensing
L/D = a setting in between L & D