3 point hydraulic issue

Kdp4au

Equipment
Mx5400
May 9, 2022
Alabama
Good afternoon. New to the forum, and I found my way due to not being able to figure out the issue anywhere else. With that being said, on to the issue. Tractor is a 2005 mx5400 4wd open station. Let's say I have a rotary cutter (bush hog) hooked up to my tractor. It will do it with any attachment, I just feel like the implement makes it easier to paint the picture. If I have the implement all the way up, and want to lower it down to a certain level (lets say 4) even if I stop the lever at the desired setting, it will continue to drop until its bottomed out. Unless I pull back on the lever just enough to stop the drop, then it will stay at that level for some time. Now, lets say I am done cutting, and want to pull the implement all the way up so I can travel down the road. It will raise the implement up, then you can hear the engine go under load (more or less) as if its continuing to try to raise the implement. Similarly, If I push the lever down just enough you can hear it release, and will hold that position for some time. It's incredibly frustrating, due to it making bush hogging a constant game of readjustments and uneven cutting. I took it to my local Kubota dealer at the beginning of the year, and they claim they couldn't find anything. Anybody got any clue what this might be? Thanks for any help in advance!

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Start by looking for the feed back linkage which will be connected to one on the upper 3 pt lift arms.
Usually on the right side.
The link's purpose is to unload the hydraulics feeding the 3 pt piston once the 3 pt hitch has reached the desired level in order to relief the work the hydraulic pump is doing. This avoids the relief valve having to continuously dump oil leading to over heated oil.

The following is not for your tractor but likely similar.

forum feedback.jpg

Dave

Reactions: 1 users

tthorkil

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M9540HDC12 / LX2610HSDC / ZD1011-48 / Bobcat S250
Jan 1, 2011
Bagley, MN, United States
I am guessing that since the 'lift' is not stopping at the correct time and putting the fluid through the pressure relief valve causing your engine to go 'under load' you need to adjust the 3-point feedback rod to stop trying to raise the arms after they have reached their upper limit. Whether this adjustment will change anything else is beyond my knowledge. Take a look at the youtube video and it will explain a little about how the feedback rod is attached and adjusted.
Kubota feed back rod loosely explained

(I see that someone beat me to the explanation - hopefully the video helps.)

Reactions: 1 user