2017 Kubota BX23s - FEL Joystick Problem - Sticking

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
I posted this in another forum today, in hopes that someone can shed some light on this problem we just developed. So here it goes:

Noticed today when we got the tractor out of the garage, that the forward/rearward movement of the FEL joystick seems to be moving pretty hard all of a sudden, it will not return to center position on its own. Left/Right is moving freely and working properly. Is this a fix i can do on my own? I sprayed some penetrating oil on the shaft right at the area where the rod moves in an out of the hydraulic block, but didnt really do anything to help free it up. We used the tractor a couple days ago and it was fine. Did something happen internally that we`re not aware of? Is this a common thing with the BX series FEL joysticks? I am not rough on my equipment, so i know i didnt bend anything or knock anything out of alignment.

Thank you

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
In my case when something like that happens lubricating the mechanism seems to always fix the issue.

Try that first. No guarantee but worth shot.

Edit: Sorry, see you tried some penatrating oil. Might try something with more viscosity...

Reactions: 1 users

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
If you used PBlaster or WD40, neither have much in the way of lubrication quality. Use some 30 weight and let it sit for a while.

Reactions: 1 user

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
Its been sitting all day soaking. I used Castle "THRUST" Penetrating lube. That stuff has always worked pretty good on other stuff i`ve used it on. I`ll let it soak overnight and see what its like in the morning. The joystick handle itself is nice and free too, side to side feels nice and floats back to center like it should. Almost feels like something might have let go internally. Might be time to trade it in. Has a 100hrs on it and noticing other things going bad on this tractor. The hood welds are broke off on the bracing, and i`m not happy about that either.

flogler

Equipment
2017 BX23s
Dec 18, 2019
Debary, FL. USA
I had same issue with the lockout for the FEL. I hadn't used it ever and never lubed it so it froze. Some WD did the trick and now it gets my attention more.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Its been sitting all day soaking. I used Castle "THRUST" Penetrating lube. That stuff has always worked pretty good on other stuff i`ve used it on. I`ll let it soak overnight and see what its like in the morning. The joystick handle itself is nice and free too, side to side feels nice and floats back to center like it should. Almost feels like something might have let go internally. Might be time to trade it in. Has a 100hrs on it and noticing other things going bad on this tractor. The hood welds are broke off on the bracing, and i`m not happy about that either.
Wow, 100 hours and going to heck... Guess I'm on borrowed time on both mine. One has 6000 hours and the other has 2700 hours. Other than routine maintenance and a few bushings and some new tie rod ends, nothing if consequence has happened to either.

Guess the new ones aren't built like to older ones are... Did have to have one of my hoods repaired, I rolled a round bale on it. Nothing a little body work and some new paint didn't fix.

Now I have a 2 tone tractor. Nice Kubota Orange hood with Mary Kay pink fenders. Oh well.

Don't know if the FEL lockout even works. I've never used it. Probably frozen up.

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
I had same issue with the lockout for the FEL. I hadn't used it ever and never lubed it so it froze. Some WD did the trick and now it gets my attention more.
The lockout lever works fine, i`ve lubed that up a few times, never been an issue with that. I just find it hard to believe that this joystick is frozen like it is with only 100hrs on this tractor. This BX tractor sits in a garage, no reason for it to freeze up like it has. I`m starting to think there is something wrong with the valve(s) internally.

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
Wow, 100 hours and going to heck... Guess I'm on borrowed time on both mine. One has 6000 hours and the other has 2700 hours. Other than routine maintenance and a few bushings and some new tie rod ends, nothing if consequence has happened to either.

Guess the new ones aren't built like to older ones are... Did have to have one of my hoods repaired, I rolled a round bale on it. Nothing a little body work and some new paint didn't fix.

Now I have a 2 tone tractor. Nice Kubota Orange hood with Mary Kay pink fenders. Oh well.

Don't know if the FEL lockout even works. I've never used it. Probably frozen up.
Yeah i hear yah. I`ve got a JD420 that i bought brand new, a 1990, bought in fall of 1989, sat outside its entire life, not once has anything ever froze up or stuck on that tractor. We still use the JD420 year round. Really starting to re-think getting back on a John Deere again and send this kubota down the road.

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Sorry to hear you have a problem! I have a 2017 BX23S with 400 hrs and have had no problems with the machine. I guess ive been lucky? Stored in the garage all winter and outside in the summer.
Have you tried unhooking the hydraulics and hooking back up?

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
Sorry to hear you have a problem! I have a 2017 BX23S with 400 hrs and have had no problems with the machine. I guess ive been lucky? Stored in the garage all winter and outside in the summer.
Have you tried unhooking the hydraulics and hooking back up?
Thanks. Sucks, but it is what it is. The hydraulics work fine. I just dont understand how the lever works perfect and floats back to center properly, then a day later suddenly dosent move like it should. As for you being lucky, nahhhh, i dont see this as a wide spread issue like what i`m dealing with right now with this tractor. But you might want to re-check those hood bracing/supports, the welds are garbage on them. Both side supports on my hood broke because these tractors shake hard when you turn the ignition off. Grab onto them and see if they move. I`ve talked to a couple people now that have had to have theirs re-welded.

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
Here is a thread from 2019 where this guys joystick broke off. This isn`t the same problem i`m having, but a problem regardless in their joystick area.

I think mine is a internal valving problem. Acts like the rod is bent internally. But how in the hell can that happen, i treat this tractor with kid gloves. Bucket roll function works fine, joystick floats back to center nice an freely like its suppose to, but moving the joystick for the loader up/down does not work freely at all.

I`ll call kubota monday, but i highly doubt they`ll do anything about it. But it does suck that this tractor is falling apart and things are breaking like this with only 100hrs on the clock. Sorry to rant guys, i`m just really wondering if i bought the right brand for my simple needs.

Anybody know if the kubota ktac insurance covers anything with the hydraulic parts on the tractor?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Mine's got 380+ hrs on it and fine.
Did you change all the filters at 50hrs ?
Though hard to believe, you might have 'something' kinda stuck in the up/dn spool, maybe 'rolled' O-ring?
I'd have thought it'd be under warranty ?

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
This morning i went out to the shop, joystick soaking in lube all night did nothing to free up the joystick going into the hydraulic valve body. The lever itself is not the problem, as the lever itself moves very freely. I still think there is something not right internally with the valve body. I wonder what a new valve body costs. I`m surely not going to replace a valve body every 3yrs every time this happens.

So, this morning, i was pulling the plastic cover off so i can get into it a little better to see whats going on down under the plastic cover. As i`m looking things over, i noticed the lever for the rear 3-point hitch, the adjustable stop hits the forward peg just fine, but when you pull the lever rearward, its not even close to touching the stop. It actually isnt even close to the stop adjustment. It misses the stop by at least a 1/4 inch. It goes right passed it because the lever isnt even aligned properly to even hit the stop. I dont know how i didn`t see this long ago, but i never do use the stops, so its an easy miss i guess.

I`m not sure i want to go any further with this tractor. This is just pathetic in their quality control. How much more am i going to find wrong as i go deeper into this issue. Do i keep going only to find more quality issues?

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
Mine's got 380+ hrs on it and fine.
Did you change all the filters at 50hrs ?
Though hard to believe, you might have 'something' kinda stuck in the up/dn spool, maybe 'rolled' O-ring?
I'd have thought it'd be under warranty ?
Yes, all the service work has been done per manual. All done with kubota fluids and filters. I think you are right, as i have the same thought that it might be a oring rolled/broke internally. You can definitely feel something is wrong, it feels like metal on metal when running the lever forwards/backwards.

I dont think warranty will cover it. How long is the factory warranty on these BX`s for something like this, i bought it new in 2017. I do have the ktac insurance, but not sure if that covers it either.

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
Called the dealer $1257.00 for the control assembly = Oh Hell No!
Appears that if you do a search for kubota hydraulic controls, they are a KNOWN problem across alot of the models. Also appears John Deere is plagued with just as many problems. Leaks and failures, with both brands.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Called the dealer $1257.00 for the control assembly = Oh Hell No!
Appears that if you do a search for kubota hydraulic controls, they are a KNOWN problem across alot of the models. Also appears John Deere is plagued with just as many problems. Leaks and failures, with both brands.
There is not an "O-ring rolled up" in your loader control valve. If it is stiff to move and feels like a metal on metal drag, you have a problem in the detent cap, #140 on the PDF below. A failure in the detent cap is a KNOWN issue with any control valve, built by any valve manufacture, used on any color of equipment manufactured. They all have at least one KNOWN failure that is on the internet. Funny thing is that the tens of thousands that have never experienced a KNOW failure have never reported it.

A detent cap repair is a very simple operation.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
There is not an "O-ring rolled up" in your loader control valve. If it is stiff to move and feels like a metal on metal drag, you have a problem in the detent cap, #140 on the PDF below. A failure in the detent cap is a KNOWN issue with any control valve, built by any valve manufacture, used on any color of equipment manufactured. They all have at least one KNOWN failure that is on the internet. Funny thing is that the tens of thousands that have never experienced a KNOW failure have never reported it.

A detent cap repair is a very simple operation.
Whitetiger,
THANK YOU for that information! I`m assuming #140 is a whole package kit for quick install/repair? How much does this kit cost? And there is only one? Or is there more that i should replace while tore down? Ok, this #140 is already assembled together and i dont have to do anything but install it as a complete part?

And, i apologize for my rants earlier, it just frustrates me when i have to spend money i dont have to spare. I`m disabled, unfortunately a very small disability income, everything is hittin me all at once it seems, lately.

Last edited:

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Messick's shows the #140 for 71.19 plus tax and shipping. K2871-03140 It did not show up until I did a google search.

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
Messick's shows the #140 for 71.19 plus tax and shipping. K2871-03140 It did not show up until I did a google search.
Yeah thats the price i found too, at messicks. My dealer usually beats messicks price by quite a bit, for me. We`ll see what happens on monday when i call them. I`ll be tearing it apart in the morning to make sure thats the problem before i buy any parts for it.

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
UPDATE: 10-12-2020
RE: Joystick Binding up & sticking

Got further into the BX23s today, 2 (6mm) screws up under the fender, pulled the plastic trim off... and found this....

The issue that caused the joystick to bind was the ball joint had come loose and backed out of the joystick handle and caused it to bind. The fix was, LOCTITE on the ball joint threads that screw into the joystick!!! Problem now resolved with NO PARTS NEEDED, just some common sense. This is a poor design flaw. No way to lock the stud, other than using some loctite on the ball stud threads and just hope it stays tight.

The ball joint that backed out is the one i`m pointing to in the picture. Once you apply loctite to the threaded area and tighten it, be sure that the ball joint is properly adjusted so that it does NOT break the stud off in the handle of the joystick if you`re hard on your equipment. There wants to be a little free play so that the joystick does NOT put unneeded pressure against the ball joint. Check the other ball joint to make sure everything is tight and properly adjusted while you`re in there.

BX23s - Joystick Ball Joints - this one loosens up causing bind.jpg

Thanks to all who contributed. Hopefully this fix may help others if they have a binding joystick issue.