2013 L3800 won't start!

quazz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 and Z411
Jan 6, 2014
Rockley, NS
While I was away we were hit with two massive blizzards. There was a little rain to start just to make it more annoying by coating everything in ice.

So I get home dig my way to the tractor and turn the key and the lights come on but not even a click from the starter.

I checked the seat safety switch - it is moving freely
PTO is off
Battery seems charged
Checked & replaced starter relay fuse

I assume something is iced up but I am at a bit of a loss. Could it be the clutch safety switch which I can't seem to find.

Any ideas?

I have mountains of snow to move!!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
While I was away we were hit with two massive blizzards. There was a little rain to start just to make it more annoying by coating everything in ice.

So I get home dig my way to the tractor and turn the key and the lights come on but not even a click from the starter.

I checked the seat safety switch - it is moving freely
PTO is off
Battery seems charged
Checked & replaced starter relay fuse

I assume something is iced up but I am at a bit of a loss. Could it be the clutch safety switch which I can't seem to find.

Any ideas?

I have mountains of snow to move!!
Based on what you are saying - check all those that you HAVE checked again, wiggle the levers, bounce on the seat ......some ol safety switch is stuck, bent or frozen !!!

check battery voltage for shytes and giggles.....12.6+

check connectors to and from battery ......

take your wife's hair dryer to the switches........JUST DONT tell her!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

quazz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 and Z411
Jan 6, 2014
Rockley, NS
Based on what you are saying - check all those that you HAVE checked again, wiggle the levers, bounce on the seat ......some ol safety switch is stuck, bent or frozen !!!

check battery voltage for shytes and giggles.....12.6+

check connectors to and from battery ......

take your wife's hair dryer to the switches........JUST DONT tell her!!!!!!!!!!:eek:
I don't have a wife anymore partly because of things like that. I prefer the tractor anyway. lol

I have a heat gun I'll try that on low.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
One of the switches my 3800 had an issue with is the HST pedal switch. If it hasn't been lubed in awhile, it can stick slightly in FWD or REV and that will interrupt current to the starter. Rock that pedal and make sure its centered.

If yours isn't an HST model, disregard!

Good luck.

Ray

quazz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 and Z411
Jan 6, 2014
Rockley, NS
One of the switches my 3800 had an issue with is the HST pedal switch. If it hasn't been lubed in awhile, it can stick slightly in FWD or REV and that will interrupt current to the starter. Rock that pedal and make sure its centered.

If yours isn't an HST model, disregard!

Good luck.

Ray
Yeah Ray it is HST. I rocked it back and forth and then tried to start and nothing so I wiggled it back and forth a bit while trying to start and nothing. The pedal returns a little slow so the problem may still be that switch.
I got underneath and looked for the switch but was rewarded with a full face full of powder snow which is always an unpleasant surprise at 0 degrees F. This was after snowblowing and digging out compacted snow that is higher than the rear wheels.

I will have a beer now and start again in the AM.

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
L3800HST:

Clutch switch is above the pedal and below the fuse panel.

HST pedal switch is on right side by your foot. The mechanism is under the foot plate, the switch itself above the foot plate. If water froze, it may have pushed the switch assy up in its rectangular holder. The switch will pull up so that you can get your finger on the plunger.

quazz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 and Z411
Jan 6, 2014
Rockley, NS
Well I can't find either one of those #$@% switches. Does any one have a picture that shows where they are?

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Pictures of switches.

Clutch switch below fuse panel, below connector.

HST switch: Look at 40A in picture center, move right to plastic case, move right to vertical wall. Switch is mounted on flange.

Attachments

quazz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 and Z411
Jan 6, 2014
Rockley, NS
Thanks Jim I'll work on these in the morning!
Safety schmafety is how I feel at the moment.

quazz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 and Z411
Jan 6, 2014
Rockley, NS
It was the clutch safety switch. It was caked in snow and ice and the lever couldn't depress the switch. I couldn't even see the switch but knew where it was from Jim's picture so I took a heat gun to the area, melted it all and it started right up. I have been moving snow all day. Thanks to all of you!

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Park that dang thing under a roof or something. It's goin to have a short life if
left out in the elements.

quazz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 and Z411
Jan 6, 2014
Rockley, NS
Yeah I know but I couldn't afford a garage and a tractor. This summer I will build a garage for it.