2013 B2650 cab HST with suspected speed control safety switch problem.

Goldsmith1

Equipment
B2650
Feb 10, 2022
Creston, NC
I have been having problems with the 5amp fuse for the panel blowing when I go into reverse. I tried to remove the safety switch yesterday but was not able to get my hands on the connector to disconnect from the tractor. Can anyone give me some tips on how to get this apart? I was going to test by bypassing the switch but didn't want to cut the wires. Thanks for any help in advance.

PorkBolt

Equipment
B2601, 60" MMM, SSQA FEL, Kubota Ballast Box
Sep 22, 2015
Elburn, Illinois
Had a similar problem; I believe that fuse also traces back to the accessory cluster (under rear fender). I couldn't find the issue after removing dash, seat, and inspecting all safety switches. Also- it would prevent the tractor from starting.....2015 B2601. Pulled the fuse and all was good.

Reactions: 1 user

Goldsmith1

Equipment
B2650
Feb 10, 2022
Creston, NC
Had a similar problem; I believe that fuse also traces back to the accessory cluster (under rear fender). I couldn't find the issue after removing dash, seat, and inspecting all safety switches. Also- it would prevent the tractor from starting.....2015 B2601. Pulled the fuse and all was good.
My fuse keeps blowing. Boy is this frustrating when you need to use it and this keeps happening. I shot some wd40 in the boot and worked the plunger back and forth. It ran for 30 minutes and when I went to back it up to park it the fuse blew.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
Why have you condemned the safety-switch when you go into reverse? It is not likely that a safety-switch would blow a fuse. (Much more likely prevent starting engine)

A blown fuse usually indicates short to ground. Switches rarely will short to ground.

Have you actually used a voltmeter to measure the voltage at the switch? Is there a reverse-switch ?

If you cannot disconnect the connector with the switch mounted on the tractor.... can you remove the switch 1st, then disconnect?

Last edited:

Goldsmith1

Equipment
B2650
Feb 10, 2022
Creston, NC
Why have you condemned the safety-switch when you go into reverse? It is not likely that a safety-switch would blow a fuse. (Much more likely prevent starting engine)

Have you actually used a voltmeter to measure the voltage at the switch? Is there a reverse-switch ?

If you cannot disconnect the connector with the switch mounted on the tractor.... can you remove the switch 1st, then disconnect?
May be wrong but I have read about more than a few similar situations and the speed control safety switch was the issue. I am not very mechanically inclined but can follow directions. I have never used a voltmeter but with some direction I should be able to test with one. Reverse switch, no clue.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
I am not very mechanically inclined but can follow directions.
Understood!

Perhaps the VERY BEST way to troubleshoot intermittent blown fuses is to replace the fuse with a light bulb. The wattage of the light bulb is determined by the amperage of the fuse which is blowing.

Often, a turn-signal bulb with some wires connected to it can be connected to the top of a blown fuse. (most fuses have accessible connections when plugged in)

Once the light bulb is connected, without even starting tractor you can move levers around (Reverse, brakes...etc) while watching the light bulb.

Anytime the bulb comes on FULL brightness, that is when the short happened and fuse would have blown.

In other words, the light bulb becomes a very good indicator of when the short is happening and also protects the circuit by limiting the current. (kinda like a fuse blowing)

This goes a LONG way to isolating the problem and leads into the next logical troubleshooting step.

Reactions: 1 users

Goldsmith1

Equipment
B2650
Feb 10, 2022
Creston, NC
Understood!

Perhaps the VERY BEST way to troubleshoot intermittent blown fuses is to replace the fuse with a light bulb. The wattage of the light bulb is determined by the amperage of the fuse which is blowing.

Often, a turn-signal bulb with some wires connected to it can be connected to the top of a blown fuse. (most fuses have accessible connections when plugged in)

Once the light bulb is connected, without even starting tractor you can move levers around (Reverse, brakes...etc) while watching the light bulb.

Anytime the bulb comes on FULL brightness, that is when the short happened and fuse would have blown.

In other words, the light bulb becomes a very good indicator of when the short is happening and also protects the circuit by limiting the current. (kinda like a fuse blowing)

This goes a LONG way to isolating the problem and leads into the next logical troubleshooting step.
Thank you very much for the information! Will be trying that later today and report back.

Goldsmith1

Equipment
B2650
Feb 10, 2022
Creston, NC
Understood!

Ok, what I found is with key on the light doesn't come on with any lever or the brake pedal. It will flash every onec in a while when pushing treadle in reverse and occasionally it's like the pedal doesn't want to fully return to neutral. The light comes on bright and stays on until I manually push the rest of the way to neutral. When I had my hands on that safety switch and pushed the plunger with my finger, it did feel like it has a catch in it.
So what do you think from those findings.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
Very good troubleshooting (y)

EVERY time that light came on full brightness, the fuse would have blown. (you did not have to waste a bunch of fuses to get to this point)

You also determined that the engine does not have to be running for the fuse to blow.

However: You did not mention that the light comes on bright when you push the 'safety switch'. Perhaps play with that switch some more and try to isolate the problem. Perhaps the wires leading to it are touching each other or the frame?

Have you looked for wires 'chafing' on the frame as the treadle is rocked?

You could try hosing down that switch with WD40. That may help free it up a bit.

Perhaps you could remove the switch and with the wires still attached, work the switch by hand and see if the light comes on bright at any point.

Goldsmith1

Equipment
B2650
Feb 10, 2022
Creston, NC
Very good troubleshooting (y)

EVERY time that light came on full brightness, the fuse would have blown. (you did not have to waste a bunch of fuses to get to this point)

You also determined that the engine does not have to be running for the fuse to blow.

However: You did not mention that the light comes on bright when you push the 'safety switch'. Perhaps play with that switch some more and try to isolate the problem. Perhaps the wires leading to it are touching each other or the frame?

Have you looked for wires 'chafing' on the frame as the treadle is rocked?

You could try hosing down that switch with WD40. That may help free it up a bit.

Perhaps you could remove the switch and with the wires still attached, work the switch by hand and see if the light comes on bright at any point.
Ok, here are my findings this morning. I pulled the switch on its mounting and worked the switch and it never flashed dim or bright. I moved the treadle as well while the switch was out and nothing happened. As soon as I put the switch back in the mounting and rocked the treadle back it came on bright. I messed with the wires some and nothing. Found no damaged wiring. Keep in mind i can't see all of it.I had already blasted it with wd40. When i originally posted i had blasted with wd40 and worked the switch. It worked for about 20 minutes scraping my road but as soon as I put in reverse to change implements it blew. While out of the tractor testing the switch, my wife sat in the seat to activate that safety switch.
I really appreciate your help and guidance through this.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
It sounds as if you are eliminating some possibilities... but still unable to isolate the issue.

It almost sounds as if the mounting screws for the switch are involved with the blowing fuse. Is this possible?

Does the light come on bright with the wires disconnected from the switch (and switch mounted in its location)?

Goldsmith1

Equipment
B2650
Feb 10, 2022
Creston, NC
It sounds as if you are eliminating some possibilities... but still unable to isolate the issue.

It almost sounds as if the mounting screws for the switch are involved with the blowing fuse. Is this possible?

Does the light come on bright with the wires disconnected from the switch (and switch mounted in its location)?
This is the switch. In my original post I asked for tips in disconnecting the switch. I can barely get one hand on it, so no, I haven't been able to disconnect and test. I have no idea if those two bolts could cause this to happen. Screenshot_20220213-171057_eBay.jpg I really don't see how that could occur, but who knows.

Goldsmith1

Equipment
B2650
Feb 10, 2022
Creston, NC
This is the switch. In my original post I asked for tips in disconnecting the switch. I can barely get one hand on it, so no, I haven't been able to disconnect and test. I have no idea if those two bolts could cause this to happen. View attachment 74937 I really don't see how that could occur, but who knows.
Anyone have any more suggestions? If not, I need to get someone out here so i can spread gravel on our road. Thanks.