2010 7040, stuck shutoff valve on pump

roygage

Equipment
M7040, M5040, DT 3000
Jun 15, 2015
estherville iowa
Had a problem with the injection pump on my 2010 7040 I thought I would share with you. Shut it off and a half an hour later it was a crank no start. Acted just like the fuel shutoff was stuck in the off position, which is exactly what it turned out to be.

On this unit rather then a mechanical pull off rod an electric shutoff solenoid is used, it has two wires going to it. I believe one is to pull the plunger back the other wire is used to control another set of windings which hold it in the open or on position once the plunger is retracted.Both sets of windings ground through the chassis. Holding the solenoid in your hand it will not click. Touch the solenoid's body to a ground and it will.

I could find no fault with the solenoid. Key on the plunger retracted which should have turned the fuel on. With the solenoid off, it is mounted on the front of the pump facing forward, you can see inside but it is very hard to see just what is what.

Luckily there is a flat steel plate held on by three 6 mm bolts and one 6 mm nut directly above the solenoid. With this removed you can see into the front of the pump much better. I held the solenoid up into place and was able to see exactly were the solenoids plunger contacted a smooth flat steel lever or paddle. This paddle which should follow the solenoids plunger out when the plunger retracts was stuck in the closed position.

Placing a small screwdriver behind the lever/paddle and using the top edge of the opening as a fulcrum I was able to apply slight pressure which snapped the stuck lever free.

You could feel some resistance to the movement when I tried working it with my fingers. Sprayed in some WD 40 and worked it till it felt free. Added some additive to the fuel which is supposed to lube it up and it started right up.

I might note that this tractor has had very little use in the past 6 months and also the day before this happened I had noticed a rolling idle, maybe 50 rpm, which also seems to now be gone.

As a auto tech I see many pattern failures, what surprised me in doing searches on this was I found very little coming up about this problem.

Figured if mine did it 150 others should have also. Perhaps it is that rare a problem.
At any rate, hope this helps someone.

Last edited: