2008 B2320 Will not start

patricktx

Equipment
B2320- rortary mower, brush hog field mower, brush hog tiller
Jun 2, 2013
ft worth, tx
I'm new to the site and hoping someone might have a suggestion.

I took a break from mowing, turned the engine off. When I was ready to resume and turned the key, nothing.

My battery is good, all the lights in the dash come on but when I turn the key to the start position nothing happens. I checked the fuses and they all look good. I went ahead and tried to boost the battery and still nothing.

Burtonbr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 B2620, LA364 FEL,rear remotes,grapple pallet forks, many other toys.
Nov 11, 2012
NC
Welcome, to OTT,
Start with the simple things first , pto disengaged, HST pedal in neutral,might even have to rock it back and forth a bit to be sure, even put the speed selector in neutral to be sure.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
really dumb question,,, not like you would ever have been the first,,, how about fuel?,, ya got any??? No don't ask how I know this

patricktx

Equipment
Jun 2, 2013
ft worth, tx
Thank you for the responses.

All the "simple" things were done. I follow SOP according to the manual.

Burtonbr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 B2620, LA364 FEL,rear remotes,grapple pallet forks, many other toys.
Nov 11, 2012
NC
Ahhhhh, I didn't mention the simplest in the first reply, FUEL that rules those things out then.

you have any more info on whats going on ?

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
You report that when turning the key there is no response.

There is a 'bad' or stuck open safety switch somewhere in the start-interrupt circuit.

Could be debris accumulation jamming a switch or a rocker pedal slightly out of alignment.

Even following the book's SOP you could still get no response from the key if an interlock is bad or open.

You'll have to track down each safety interlock switch and confirm it functions correctly.

As a test you can jump to the starter terminal itself and see if it spins. Make certain in Neutral to do this in case it lights and takes off.

Please advise what you learn and how you proceed so we may all learn.

patricktx

Equipment
Jun 2, 2013
ft worth, tx
Thanks for the suggestions Stubbyie. My thoughts exactly!

It will be a couple of days before I can start the process of elimination but I will keep you posted.

patricktx

Equipment
Jun 2, 2013
ft worth, tx
Ok, thought I would post-

While going through the process of elimination, I found the spilt pin that controls the up/down lever for the 3 point had come out. Got that fixed!

Then on to the electrical part. The B2320 has two switches under the seat, one that engages when you are in the seat and one that engages with the seat flipped forward.

I tested the lower switch by pluging the wires into the upper switch. With the seat flpped forward and standing beside the tractor, turned the starter and she cranked right up.

So I thought that told me the lower switch was bad, wrong. When I plugged the wires back into the lower switch, it cranked right up again.

The problem was dirt in/on the terminals to the lower switch.

The fix- Blew both switches with the air hose, cleaned terminals on both switches and applied a little grease when I plugged all wires back in.

Mowing tomorrow!

Thank you for the suggestions.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well Im glad you got it all sorted out, makes ya feel good when that happens huh :D

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Glad you got 'er running, but a note:

Using grease on electrical connections is an old and time-honored thing we have all done. Now there's a better way.

Standard plain 'grease gun' or 'bearing' or even 'white lithium motor rebuild' grease will harden over time and can develop subtle cracks that allow moisture to infiltrate. Ever used grease on a light bulb and had it fall out in flakes and clumps when later removed?

Use electrical contact silicon grease. A small tube will last a lifetime and can be found at parts houses. A tiny smear on the bulb bayonet or threads and you're good for years.

Even cheaper and exact same stuff is plumber's stem or sillcock lube--a tablespoon of silicone grease in a little tiny pop-top pillbox. I get the stuff at plumbing wholesaler for $1 each and keep one scattered around the place. Great for outdoor floodlamps, boat trailers, anywhere you need waterproof grease.

All these products are Dow Corning repackaged laboratory-type silicone greases used in glass labware connections.

Don't smear the silicone grease on anything you ever want to paint.