2007 Buick Lacrosse - ABS and TC Lights

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Hoping some car guys can weigh in:

2007 Buick Lacrosse, 100k miles, solid and clean car bought for my kid. He's been driving it since January - no issues.

I did rotors and pads on all four wheels 6 weeks ago.

Car has been parked outside for 10 days while he was away visiting his sister. We had a lot of rain here on and off.

He went to work and back this morning - only 2 miles round trip. ABS and TC (traction control) lights come on.

First thought - wet connections - told him drive it a week and see of the warnings clear.

Second thought - wheel bearings - my wife's Chevy Uplander's ABS sensor was in the wheel bearing. We went through a lot of wheel bearings on that car.

Am I in the ballpark?

Thanks, guys!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I'm thinking check the foolish simple first. They usually have quick connects going to the sensors. Might thought would be to check the quick connects on each tire for corrosion or moisture. Seperate the quick connects and hit with some contact cleaner.

Another thing, is a fuse could have popped controlling both functions. By all means, I'm not really an automotive mechanic, and usually farm this stuff out to the professionals. But I have saved us some money on the wife's Mazda when her abs light came on. We had hit a dear carcass passing a tractor trailer, and one of the plugs on that side had got knocked allowing moisture in.

On the daughters pt cruiser, it ended up being one of her friends causing the issue with her abs. Kid blew a fuse to something major, and robbed the fuse that powered the abs system :rolleyes:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Thanks Daren - -

I was thinking along same line.

Since it's been sitting - we'll see if it takes care of itself. I started it, and drove it back and forth in the driveway - no lights. Wouldn't be surprised if they pop up again while driving. Then, try the connections.

I did a bunch of WB or her last car - I think bad design, and real expensive.

His WB could be less than $80 each, and I'd probably do both, just to get it outta the way.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Test for voltage and ground at sensor connector. We are just looking for presence of both. If it has (guessing) 5 volts and good ground (sensor unplugged) then its wheel bearing. Rarely is it anything else.
would have to look for resistance values to test which wheel sensor is bad. Generally i connect my snap on scanner to determine which bearing is giving a trouble code.

If its wheel bearing, torque axle nut to 118 foot-lbs. no more, no less. Either way causes premature failure. Clean bearing housing and axle splines,and a little anti-sieze around both. Makes for easier replacement.

From what i see bearings are consumer friendly.

Last edited:

dmignogno

Equipment
BX25D, Woods RB60 Backblade, loader forks, BX42S Chipper
Aug 5, 2013
Lincoln, DE
Start simple. Clear the codes to make sure its a hard code. If its a hard code it will come back. Local parts store might have scan tool you can use or harbor freight sells them cheap. You can spend a lot of money guessing your way through this so check to see what codes a present first. More than likely it is a wheel speed sensor problem. When they occur it shuts down the ABS and TC.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys!

After short drive, no errors, and still none after a week!:D

The good thing is that when they come back, I'll have a reference!

RonBoyBX25D

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LP Grapple, Bro-Tek spacers, QH, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, RB, and 1560G
Aug 1, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Hope the codes stay away, WB are easy on those cars if you need to do them.