2005 L2800hst with backhoe or new L2501hst

ragsplace

Apr 24, 2020
Kalamazoo
Iv'e been looking at new L2501's with a backhoe for around $29k. I found a 2005 L2800hst with backhoe and it has a little of 300 hours for $22k. Just wanted some thoughts on which way would be better way to go? Thank you.

Bill Groom

Equipment
B7100 HST
Apr 2, 2019
N.E. Ohio
0 down, 0% interest, warranty, hard to beat. But if you can pay cash, and pay no interest on the 05, and are positive it is in excellent mechanical, and very good physical, condition, $7k is a nice savings. Is one HST and the other gear, or is it apples to apples? Rear remotes, third function kit,, tires in great shape and loaded already, any other implements thrown in?

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
It really depends on the L2800, I love mine but there are some "issues" that you should know about beforehand. I think the most important one is if it has the "Overriding CAMS" or the locking CAM's? Do you have the serial number of the L2800? (it's been a while, but I could look to see what serial number that change was made)

Second, which might be an issue, the jerky 3 point hitch... If you did not know about it... you might not even notice it. Most 3ph are pretty smooth, but not the early 2004's and 2005's... To me, the jerky 3ph made the tractor somewhat unusable for grading. I had my 3ph valve replaced and it's very nice.

22k for the L2800 seems pretty high to me... Like the same price he paid back in 2005. I paid $15,800 and the hoe might have been $6,200 back then... Then again $29k also seems pretty high (definitely FULL price). Good luck...

Last edited:

ragsplace

Apr 24, 2020
Kalamazoo
Thank you both for your replies. The L2800 is a hydrostatic. I've not looked at the L2800 in person. It was on Facebook marketplace in northern Ohio at the start of this week for $17,950 and in the pictures the tractor looks brand new. I'm assuming someone is trying to make a quick 4 grand because now it is listed on craigslist in south western michigan. There are no options on the tractor other than hydrostatic, R4's, standard bucket and the backhoe.

I think that you both have answered my questions. 7 thousand is a lot of money but with 0 percent interest and a warranty, I think I will take my chances on a new tractor. One last question, $29k is the out the door price. If this is too much what should I expect to be able to buy one for? Thank you again.

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
You can got to kubotausa.com and build your own and with R4 tires (the more expensive ones) I come up with $28.4k. Most people expect 10% to possibly 15% (not usually) off. I would walk away from the 29k and wait to see if you get a phone call back from the dealer...

PS... there are a BUNCH of scams out there... if you see the tractor listed in a few places... It might be a scam. High target item!!! FYI. Also, $17,950 was more than the tractor was new!?!!?

Last edited: