1997 Kioti LK 3054, Irratating Intermitting start issue !!

Onthedge

Equipment
1997 kioti lk 3054, only 1100 hrs
Jun 5, 2021
vermont
Definetly could use some insight on this one! From the beginning, Changed out Battery, had an old 8yr. Interstate in there producing 12.1-11.9V, new one has a strong 13V. While I was at the Battery, changed out both terminals, and redid negative ground cable to frame. Starter got taken out, and gone thru by local shop, solenoid got changed out, saying there were a few pretty rough contacts in there. Now were getting somewhere.......Wrong, reinstalled starter, same old irratating, 6,7,8, clicks at starter before she fires over. Now comes the testing I've done to resolve this, First, Recheck, new battery voltage, strong 13V at terminals. From there, there is 13V to starter, solenoid Battery hot post. Next up, Behind the Alternator, 13V to Hot post, from Battery,( on this Alternator, there's a 150V, something, fuse, diode, tied in, in front of the hot lead from Battery, not sure what it is.). From there, 13V across to the 3 prong connector, at this point, one of buddies at work asked if there was any voltage present on trigger wire at solonid, 13V there. Nearing the end of this, when I tested the 3 prong connector, on Alternator, Volt meter leads on E and F terminals, key switch on, 13V, present, wifee, turned key switch to start position all the way over, and voltmeter drops back to 10V. Retrying this a few times, the 10V, stay's constant, does not fluctuate, stay's right there. Everybody I've talked to say's it's the Voltage Regulator, before I go spending the 80+, dollars, What else I'am missing, anything at this point, would be helpful.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
not clear, but, did you completely REPLACE both the battery cables ?
10 volts on the starter,while cranking might(should) be OK reading but you need AMPS to spin the starter.
you could try jumping a battery AT the starter solenoid( I assume it's ON the starter ?)

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Explain this: "wifee, turned key switch to start position all the way over, and voltmeter drops back to 10V. Retrying this a few times, the 10V, stay's constant, does not fluctuate, stay's right there."

Does it drop to 10V at the starter each time it is tried and then return to normal?

It does sound like the starter is pulling way too many amps.

Onthedge

Equipment
Jun 5, 2021
vermont
10 volts on the starter,while cranking might(should) be OK reading but you need AMPS to spin the starter.
you could try jumping a battery AT the starter solenoid( I assume it's ON the starter ?)

Onthedge

Equipment
Jun 5, 2021
vermont

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
Try doing voltage drop reading from + bat post to stud on starter while Wife tries it. and do the same test from - bat post to ground cable bolt and then from -post to starter housing. If you get anymore than a few millivolts then it is a bad cable, end or connection. if the ends are crimped on do they look green or brittle indicating corrosion or overheating. Any poor connection can cause high resistance which can cause the drop of voltage you are seeing. Also check + post to solenoid coil to see if there is a drop caused by the ignition switch when turned

Onthedge

Equipment
Jun 5, 2021
vermont
In the begining of all this, the positive cable, got inspected pretty good, probally should have done it to eliminate, more thing's. Now, the one test you speak of, jumping the starter from trigger wire to battery positive on starter, I have not done yet. I should get right up there and do that, for if the starter engages with no 6,7,8, clicks were on to something, right!!

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
Try doing voltage drop reading from + bat post to stud on starter while Wife tries it. and do the same test from - bat post to ground cable bolt and then from -post to starter housing. If you get anymore than a few millivolts then it is a bad cable, end or connection. if the ends are crimped on do they look green or brittle indicating corrosion or overheating. Any poor connection can cause high resistance which can cause the drop of voltage you are seeing. Also check + post to solenoid coil to see if there is a drop caused by the ignition switch when turned
Maybe not while trying to crank not sure on that part.

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
Maybe not while trying to crank not sure on that part.
Im reasonably good with a meter hands on but can be terrible describing. Maybe look up a you tube video on voltage drop testing. Eric O on south main auto you tube has some good ones.

Onthedge

Equipment
Jun 5, 2021
vermont
Thank's ChanceyWd, for info on voltage drop testing, for I have not got into that part of it Yet.....!! Funny thing is I own this tractor now, so addressing some of these issues are good. Still irritating as all, tractor will start in morning, with normal pre-heat, 6,7,8 clicks on starter and run all day. If you shut her down for any lenth of time, same 6,7,8 clicks, sometimes more, but has alway's started. I am determined to get to the bottom of this, talk again soon !!!!