1989ish G1900: Totally bummed out... did I just blow my main seal?

rmcard

Equipment
G1900
Apr 30, 2017
Milford, Michigan
After finishing all the necessary repairs this afternoon I was all ready to take my new to me G1900 out and put it thru its paces to see how well it works.

As I was letting it idle after just putting on a new throttle cable, I heard a "pachewwww"... sound kinda like an old inner tube popping and releasing some air I let it run for about 20 seconds and decided to pop the hood and investigate.

I noticed wetness dripping down and around the flywheel at the front of the engine and first thought it was coolant, because I could easily see where the sound I heard was popping a radiator hose... but no, it was oil spilling out.

It appears to be coming from between the block and flywheel, and the exposed part of the crankshaft appears to be wet with oil, but to actually determine where I think I'll need to pull the flywheel.

I started it again for another minute to see if I could see where the oil was exactly coming from but couldn't make a determination. And I probably shouldn't keep doing that while not knowing how the oil is routed inside the engine and what could be getting starved as the oil is bleeding out.

Now the only thing I can think of that I did that may or may not have contributed, I noticed what I believe to be a crankcase breather hose was not on the metal tube too well and I pushed it on so it was snug. But too me it just doesn't seem right because I didn't think the engine was running like it had a lot of blowby. Also, if it did I wouldn't think it would run as well as it does or not at all because of it being a diesel.

This is the D722 Engine, has anyone else experienced this type of problem? Too me this engine was running great before this happened and appeared to be running great as it's oil was bleeding out.

rmcard

Equipment
G1900
Apr 30, 2017
Milford, Michigan

I had seen this early on, was thinking it was a vent for the trans. I was planning on cleaning it out before I started using the tractor, but forgot.

After tracing the hose out from the crankcase breather pipe, turns out this is actually the breather vent for the engine.