1982 L245DT crankshaft splines

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Quite easy to do on your tractor. Simply start the engine, put the TPH lever in the fully raised position then adjust the linkage between the rockshaft and the TPH valve until the three point hitch goes down some, then turn the adjustment the other way until the rockshaft is within 1/4 to 1/2 inch from the top. cycle it a couple of times and check again, if it still has some clearance with the lever right back you are in business!
Ed

Milo Holroyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 L245DT w/1700 FEL, 2003 L3130 HST,w/ LA723 loader,,and L2174A snowblower
So, what I'm looking for is, the TPH raises as high as possible without dead heading?
I also have to use my "locking valve" to hold the TPH in any position. Otherwise, it just goes back down.
Thanks for all of your help.

Milo

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
When your TPH goes back down does it push the lever down too? Is the linkage just above "a" in picture 2 fastened to the end of the rockshaft so it pushes the linkage when the TPH goes down?

Milo Holroyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Yes , the linkage is hooked up. It feels like there is no "feed back" from the TPH. I move the lever, the TPH moves. I let go of the lever, everything heads for the ground. :(

Milo

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
The feedback is via the linkage on the left side set the lever near the top and try adjusting the linkage to see if you get any response. If you look at the diagram in the parts manual you can see how it all works.

Milo Holroyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
OK, I have adjusted the linkage so that the rock shafts travel almost to the very top. Without dead heading the hydraulics. I must have some dirt or (more likely) o-ring material from the old pump, in the internal mechanism. As the TPH falls to the ground anytime I don't hold the lever up. I can use the flow / stop knob to hold TPH position.

On another note, the loader valve tilt spool is "borked", The weight of the lever is enough to move the spool and put a load on the pump. I took the cover off the spool return spring, thinking that it had loosened. The spring is fine. I have no idea where the "slop" is coming from. But with a weak spring (just enough to compensate for the weight of the lever), hooked to the lever, and to one of the hoses, the load is off the pump. Unless actually using the hydraulics.:confused: That's probably what ruined my original pump!

Milo

Last edited:

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
The TPH lever should be tight enough to stay wherever you put it. If the loader valve is not staying in the center position it could be moving just enough to close the center port and not quite open the cylinder port so load the pump some.

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
There must be a screw or a snap ring out that is causing the spool to not react to the centering spring in the loader valve. take that spring end off again and have a look! It'd be a shame to replace a whole valve for the want of a screw!
Ed

Milo Holroyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
I looked at the spring, washer, and retaining screw. All is tight.:confused:
I'll give it another going over. I'm happy with the pump performance.Loader hydraulics are "snappy":)
I can tell there is a lot of overlap in the spools. The slightest movement of either spool loads the pump (a lot). Once the spool is pushed all the way, the "load" is deminished. It seems that any initial spool movement blocks the flow of the "open center" system.:confused:
Milo

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
That is probably normal. You have considerably more flow now than ever before so the "deadband" in the valve is more noticable. If it wasn't that way the loader would tend to drop a little as you first pulled on a lever. more people would complain about that than a little load on the pump!
Ed

GSDGUY

Equipment
L245DT
Sep 7, 2009
Daleville,In
Milo , I know you got the metric to standard PTO adaptor from Hub City. Are the rest of the parts standard TSC stuff ?
Eric

Milo Holroyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Milo , I know you got the metric to standard PTO adaptor from Hub City. Are the rest of the parts standard TSC stuff ?
Eric
I bought a PTO extender from TSC. I then machined off the external splines, and machined a key-way. The "Love-Joy" type coupler was purchased at a local industrial supply (the same one that ordered my Hub City adapter).
Happy to help. If you need more info just ask.
Milo:)

Milo Holroyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
UPDATE4
I gave the new pump a good workout today.
Plowed snow for 5 hrs. Set the throttle at 2000 RPM.
The pump never got more than "warm to the touch".
Of course, the fact that it was 9F, may have helped that a little.:eek:

Milo

Milo Holroyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
:eek: Thanks Vic. So far my "new" pump is working very well.
I didn't throw out the original pump. (my wife say's I never throw anything away)!

Thanks for all of your help along the way.
Milo

GSDGUY

Equipment
L245DT
Sep 7, 2009
Daleville,In
Vic ,

Do you really think the upgrade kit would make a big difference ? I am trying to do the most cost effective upgrade on my new loader . Buy the parts to install my front pump or boost the factory pump. Any luck getting that TSB on the site . Thanks

GSDGUY

Equipment
L245DT
Sep 7, 2009
Daleville,In
Vic,
Would you say that by installing the kit in the pump that I would be rebuilding the pump ? Or is it only changing the gear ratio to make it spin faster ? I already have plans to rebuild all the cylnders after the weather warms up. I am getting ready to change over to the universal trans hydro fluid that should help in cold weather. Also do you have price and availabilty ? thanks