1976 kubota b6000 starting issues

GB98

Equipment
1976 b6000
Sep 30, 2020
Pennsylvania
Gentleman I bought my b6000 a few days ago I drove it around for a while before buying it when I got it home it was a little hard to start but once it did there were no problems I was able to start it up with ease anytime after that but after sitting over night I tried starting it again but have had no luck I have followed the glowplug instructions on the dash but the actual indicator light is missing the thing turns over without a problem thick white smoke comes out of the exhaust but that's it I cannot for the life of me get it running again this is the only diesel engine I have ever owned so this is new territory for me I am thinking it has to be something simple because it was running fine until sitting overnight and the weather has been staying around 60 degrees farenheit wouldn't it still start if the glow plugs were bad at these temperatures? Like I said I have never owned anything diesel before so any help is much appreciated

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Yes, if you crank it enough it will start without glow plugs being activated. The white smoke is an indicator the engine is cold. It should disappear in a few minutes. You can check the glow plugs to see if they're good. The indicator light concerns me. On older tractors it wasn't really a light but a glowing coil of nichrome wire. It served to drop the twelve from the battery to the 10.5 volts glow plugs require. Sometimes the ends would corrode and the circuit would be open, hence no voltage to the glow plugs. The glow plugs are all in parallel but that bunch is in series with the resistor. Newer tractors have a glow plug controller which is an electronic circuit which controls the glow plugs and a regular light.

GB98

Equipment
1976 b6000
Sep 30, 2020
Pennsylvania
The metal housing where the lights at is there but where it looks like a little bulb would be it's just an empty hole so this could be why my glowplugs are not working ? I haven't tested then yet to know for sure if they aren't

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
No you need to look at it again. Don’t think you will see any bulb but look deeper into the hole and you should see a wire like piece of metal that zig zags a few times.

You may be able to see it glow in the dark if you hold it on glow position for 30 to 40 seconds.

How long are you holding it on glow plug before cranking it?

Do you use the decompression knob if you have that?

Tell what your current starting process is in some detail?
Tell us what the buying process was, was the tractor running when you got there? Was tractor warmed up or cold when you started it at the buying place?
Do you know how much fuel is in the tank?
Does the tractor have a fuel water separator?

GB98

Equipment
1976 b6000
Sep 30, 2020
Pennsylvania
For starting I'll glow it for around 30 seconds then pull the decompression rod out and once the engine rolls over I push it in let it roll over for about 6 seconds then stop I've tried placing the throttle In multiple places as well when I showed up to check it out it was not running but the guy had told me he started it before I showed up I drove it around for a bit and got the basic rundown on how to use it from him then went back the next day and got it for fuel I emptied the tank and bled the lines I did not clean the filters however then filled it up about halfway with offroad diesel

GB98

Equipment
1976 b6000
Sep 30, 2020
Pennsylvania
Just an update I looked at the glow plug indicator coil you all mentioned and is there ,its silver in color .I tried holding the switch over to warm it up but it did not glow at all even after 60 seconds .took it out and Inspected it and it looks good I cleaned up some rust on the screws that hold two small black wires to it and it still does not glow so I may order a replacement as well as a new set of glow plugs just to see if that's the problem

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
There may be a problem with that wiring. The glow plug indicator should really have three wires attached to it. I will try to describe it but I have to assume that you have wiring similar concepts and wiring to my L185.
The key switch only provides power to a separate switch to turn left for glow plug activation and right to crank the engine (and provide power to glow plugs).

From the glow plug position the power goes to the glow plug indicator through the indicator and on to the first glow plug. (That provides two wire connections on the indicator)

From the start position the power bypasses the glow plug indicator by connecting to the “far side” of the indicator and then using the same wire on to the glow plugs (this is the third wire connected to the glow plug indicator).

So the side nearest to the switch has one wire and the far side has two wires connected to the indicator.