12V block heater???

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Running tractor?

I think the best option would be to store the vehicle in a heated shed (multiple benefits to the unit) and load 'er up and keep it running up until the point you are ready to drive off, then shut 'er down and drive to location. Unless it's an hour away, everything will still be toasty by the time you arrive.

The issue is that some states don't allow for auxiliary engines to be running on something that isn't part of a trailer. Refer, sealcoating, asphalt and other trailers have the motors built into them. I don't know what state you're in or what the rules are there. If there aren't any, then go ahead and run the tractor on the trailer.

Another advantage is that if you stop any place in between, someone can't just hop on and take your pride and joy off your trailer and out for a joy ride around the parking lot... Sorry, here in California you need to be always alert for imbeciles...

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
One option not discussed is the hot coolant connection between the truck and tractor. I had a Volvo military truck and it had provision to connect a warm truck to a cold one to get the cold one to start.
I think this could be done easily but.... the hydraulics still need to be warmed up or expensive damage will occur and this can only be done by running the engine.
Start it up and leave it running. In the winter the "green" police don't venture outside,
Dave M7040