10 Month MX Experience

EasyEd

Equipment
MX6000
Jan 7, 2023
Nashville, TN
I thought I would post a review of my 2022 MX6000 after 10 months and 110 hours of operation. I purchased this tractor for use on my 470 acre Tennessee tree farm (about 70 acres in planted trees, 15 acres in food plots, and the rest native timber). My use is about 85% mowing, 10% food plots and 5% FEL work. I retired my 30 HP JD Model 830, which was 50 years old, to buy this tractor. Although the JD has less HP, it has about the same wheelbase and weight as the MX. I am using a LP 1884 rotary mower which was under powered behind the JD, but now works nicely between the 10 foot tree rows. I will probably be adding a 3-point, PTO driven wood chipper to handle all the tree limbs that I trim each fall and winter. I would like to make it clear that I am 99% satisfied with this MX tractor which is much better that my old tractor. It is my first hydrostatic transmission tractor and is working out great for my needs. The very few complaints that I have are not to criticize the MX tractor, but to help Kubota make it even better. First, I probably should have purchased the 5400 model as my 7 foot mower does not need the additional HP, and operating the MX6000 at 2500 rpm uses a lot of fuel. It would be nice if the MX had the option of 540 PTO operating at around 1800 engine rpm. I haven’t had a regen yet, perhaps due to my need to keep the rpm high for the mower. One problem is that the PTO shaft for my mower almost contacts the drawbar on the tractor. I didn’t want to take the drawbar off and on, as it is a bit of a pain. I had a machine shop drill a new hole in the drawbar to allow it to slide forward and lock under the tractor. Kubota could easily have provided this extra hole.

The 3-point lift control lever and the cruise control lever are rather mushy. You can set the stop, but the lever always bounces back a ¾ inch or so. This takes some getting used to. I have learned to use to the speed control pedal in the forward direction, but reverse is still difficult. The tractor rides quite a bit rougher than my old one, possibly due to the R4 tires. Also, on rough ground (I have a lot of that), the pedal gets into a feed-back loop where a bump causes your foot to mash the pedal which causes a lurch forward and another bump, and on and on. Using the cruise control eliminates this problem, but you must keep your hand on the lever at all times since the lever is the only way to stop the tractor when in cruise. I added a better brush guard and side guard from 511 Design since I mow around trees a lot and can’t operate with the loader attached. The brush guards have worked well. The MX internal, removable screen that is provided to protect the radiator does only a partial job as considerable trash reaches the front of the radiator. I have not been able to blow this material off using a handheld leaf blower and it is difficult to reach with any kind of hand brush. I plan to try a long compressed air wand next. A common complaint is the small plastic tool box provided by Kubota. I welded together a steel tool box holder which clamps to the ROPS and allows a much bigger and better tool box than that provided by Kubota. It seems a lot of other folks have done the same. Because of low tree branches, I am required to operate without the ROPS in the raised position most of the time. I have noticed that if you leave the tractor outside with the ROPS down and it rains, water can accumulate in the turned down portion of the ROPS. To prevent the possibility that this water might freeze in the winter, I drilled small holes in the top of the ROPS to allow drainage. I use the four wheel drive from time to time, but can never remember which way to move the lever to engage it. Perhaps I will learn with time. It would sure be nice to have a 4 x 4 indicator light on the dash. My 1972 JD model 830 was the first tractor that I ever purchased and it served me well for 50 years. I may keep it to restore. But at my age, 81, I really don’t want to go back to using it daily versus my MX.

Reactions: 4 users

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Sounds like you’ve got a good tractor there.

The draw bar is pretty simple, it probably should be removed if nearly in contact with the PTO. You’ve got it fixed by sliding it in further. I think I turned my drawbar end for end and it slid in further.

My L has the same issue with the cruise control, although I believe that if you mash the brakes with authority, the cruise control will kick off. Sounds like you need to trim your trees up higher, but that’s a lot of work. I have the same issue in my trees. Once they get 20 or 30 ft tall, I trim as height as I can reach. Sometime I use a pole saw, that’s tough on a guy. But my ROPS stays up, but I don’t wear the seat belt because I can’t twist I the seat to see behind me, so maybe it doesn’t matter anyhow.

The plastic pencil boxes they substitute for a a tool box are cute for your grand kids to take to school. Sounds like you fixed that silliness.

You are the first poster I’ve seen wishing they had less Hp, but I follow your logic with the fuel consumption at PTO rpms. Do you know what the consumption rate is? My “little” L3830 runs right at 1.0 gallons per hour brush hogging with my LP RCR 1860.

Welcome to OTT. Keep up the good work. I hear it makes you live longer.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I thought I would post a review of my 2022 MX6000 after 10 months and 110 hours of operation. I purchased this tractor for use on my 470 acre Tennessee tree farm (about 70 acres in planted trees, 15 acres in food plots, and the rest native timber). My use is about 85% mowing, 10% food plots and 5% FEL work. I retired my 30 HP JD Model 830, which was 50 years old, to buy this tractor. Although the JD has less HP, it has about the same wheelbase and weight as the MX. I am using a LP 1884 rotary mower which was under powered behind the JD, but now works nicely between the 10 foot tree rows. I will probably be adding a 3-point, PTO driven wood chipper to handle all the tree limbs that I trim each fall and winter. I would like to make it clear that I am 99% satisfied with this MX tractor which is much better that my old tractor. It is my first hydrostatic transmission tractor and is working out great for my needs. The very few complaints that I have are not to criticize the MX tractor, but to help Kubota make it even better. First, I probably should have purchased the 5400 model as my 7 foot mower does not need the additional HP, and operating the MX6000 at 2500 rpm uses a lot of fuel. It would be nice if the MX had the option of 540 PTO operating at around 1800 engine rpm. I haven’t had a regen yet, perhaps due to my need to keep the rpm high for the mower. One problem is that the PTO shaft for my mower almost contacts the drawbar on the tractor. I didn’t want to take the drawbar off and on, as it is a bit of a pain. I had a machine shop drill a new hole in the drawbar to allow it to slide forward and lock under the tractor. Kubota could easily have provided this extra hole.

The 3-point lift control lever and the cruise control lever are rather mushy. You can set the stop, but the lever always bounces back a ¾ inch or so. This takes some getting used to. I have learned to use to the speed control pedal in the forward direction, but reverse is still difficult. The tractor rides quite a bit rougher than my old one, possibly due to the R4 tires. Also, on rough ground (I have a lot of that), the pedal gets into a feed-back loop where a bump causes your foot to mash the pedal which causes a lurch forward and another bump, and on and on. Using the cruise control eliminates this problem, but you must keep your hand on the lever at all times since the lever is the only way to stop the tractor when in cruise. I added a better brush guard and side guard from 511 Design since I mow around trees a lot and can’t operate with the loader attached. The brush guards have worked well. The MX internal, removable screen that is provided to protect the radiator does only a partial job as considerable trash reaches the front of the radiator. I have not been able to blow this material off using a handheld leaf blower and it is difficult to reach with any kind of hand brush. I plan to try a long compressed air wand next. A common complaint is the small plastic tool box provided by Kubota. I welded together a steel tool box holder which clamps to the ROPS and allows a much bigger and better tool box than that provided by Kubota. It seems a lot of other folks have done the same. Because of low tree branches, I am required to operate without the ROPS in the raised position most of the time. I have noticed that if you leave the tractor outside with the ROPS down and it rains, water can accumulate in the turned down portion of the ROPS. To prevent the possibility that this water might freeze in the winter, I drilled small holes in the top of the ROPS to allow drainage. I use the four wheel drive from time to time, but can never remember which way to move the lever to engage it. Perhaps I will learn with time. It would sure be nice to have a 4 x 4 indicator light on the dash. My 1972 JD model 830 was the first tractor that I ever purchased and it served me well for 50 years. I may keep it to restore. But at my age, 81, I really don’t want to go back to using it daily versus my MX.
At 110 hours, your MX has regenerated multiple times. You just have not noticed.

Inadequate spacing between drawbar and PTO shaft is common on compact tractors, often precluding the use of BW mowers especially when equipped with so-called self-leveling hitches.

FWIW, I blow off all of my tractors with compressed air and a 24" (?) wand afrer each and every use.

Last edited:

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Sounds like you’ve got a good tractor there.

The draw bar is pretty simple, it probably should be removed if nearly in contact with the PTO. You’ve got it fixed by sliding it in further. I think I turned my drawbar end for end and it slid in further.

My L has the same issue with the cruise control, although I believe that if you mash the brakes with authority, the cruise control will kick off. Sounds like you need to trim your trees up higher, but that’s a lot of work. I have the same issue in my trees. Once they get 20 or 30 ft tall, I trim as height as I can reach. Sometime I use a pole saw, that’s tough on a guy. But my ROPS stays up, but I don’t wear the seat belt because I can’t twist I the seat to see behind me, so maybe it doesn’t matter anyhow.

The plastic pencil boxes they substitute for a a tool box are cute for your grand kids to take to school. Sounds like you fixed that silliness.

You are the first poster I’ve seen wishing they had less Hp, but I follow your logic with the fuel consumption at PTO rpms. Do you know what the consumption rate is? My “little” L3830 runs right at 1.0 gallons per hour brush hogging with my LP RCR 1860.

Welcome to OTT. Keep up the good work. I hear it makes you live longer.
The 148 CI turbocharged engine used in the L6060, MX 6000, etc., does, indeed, like it's fuel.

JD offers EPTO on their model that competes with the L6060. I really wanted EPTO and almost bought the JD model before buying my L6060, but in retrospect, I would not be able to use it often with my Woods BB230X cutter due to lack of power.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Very nice write up. Thank you.

I was ready to buy an MX5400 open station a couple years ago, for about the same $ as I spent on my LX2610 CAB model. Wife convinced me comfort (cab) over power and size. After a bad winter and a blizzard last winter, I'm glad that I took her advice. Nothing like moving snow wearing a t-shirt at 15 below zero F. That being said, I do wish I had a bit more tractor (MX) sometimes.

If $ wasn't an issue. I'd have a MX with a cab.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio

Very nice write up. Similar to my experience except I have experienced the the much dreaded regen cycle…however it was much ado about nothing…knock on wood. It did not impact my use or day in Any way other than the initial scare when I saw the lights come on. Not sure when/if/$ when something goes wrong but so far pretty flawless and no impact to continued use.

Fuel use to me really isn’t really an issue…I think in most of my use cases if I were to use my B instead it would use same or more fuel as it would take 3 times longer or more to do the same work…I dont keep accurate enough records to prove it but it unquestionably has more capability and can get work done much quicker IMO.

Keep the rubber side down. 🥃

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Good write up. Glad you’re 99% satisfied. Not sure I’m 99% satisfied with much of anything, including myself (still a work in progress). You probably already know the below but just in case…

Radiator: something like this… https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_...YpHCCB0W2wTDEAQYASABEgJQ0fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&

Ride: R4’s are don’t flex as much as R1’s. I was unpleasantly shocked that my L4701 with loaded R4’s rode only slightly better than cleated steel wheels. MUCH worse than the R1’s on our older machines. Dealer set air pressure in loaded rears at 30psi. Dropped to 15psi. Not exactly riding on a cloud, but significant improvement in both ride and traction. I use the loader quite a lot so the fronts are still aired up to max rated psi.

GBJeffOH

Equipment
L4060, EA Grapple, 6' LP Brush Hog, 8' snow plow, 6' LP tiller, EA Forks, Spraye
Nov 17, 2014
Jefferson, Ohio

This will clean your radiator.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana

As a previous owner of an MX6000 open station (130 hours) and currently an MX6000 cab model with around 150 hours I will agree that the MX is a great tractor and one that most would find little fault with. I mentioned the desire for a 4WD light a few months ago based on the fact that the M6060 has one despite having a much nicer lever and lever location for engaging 4WD compared to the MX.

I don't care for the 3-point height adjustment lever and its plastic/rubber wrapping and will be addressing that soon before the snow starts to fly. A 540E PTO option would be very nice and if you watched Neil's latest video on the LX4020 you'll see that it comes with a 540E PTO option. I run the snow blower at around 2,200 rpm if the snow will allow it and it makes a big difference to fuel consumption. At that engine rpm the PTO is turning a lot slower than 540 rpm but it seems to work just fine.

My M6060 regens way more often than the MX. I spent 5 hours running around my friend's field at 1,800 rpm pulling a 7ft rotary cutter but I guess that's not generating enough exhaust heat to satisfy the computer since the tractor went into regen as I was driving it off the trailer once I got home!! :cautious:

Overall though, I have zero regrets with either tractor. They're both very capable, quite different to use, and seem to be well made.

Reactions: 1 users