Snow Plow Cutting Bit/Edge

winesalot

Jul 14, 2016
Chelan, WA
I purchased a 7' wide snow plow for super cheap. I have welded it to a Mount Plate I purchased from Titan and am working on mounting a couple of hydraulic cylinders for left/right rotation. What I am looking for is a source for a new cutting edge. It is 84" long with bolt holes at 3, 16, 29, 42, 55, 68, and 81 inches along the face. Any hints on where I can buy one?

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
If you know the brand of the plow that you purchased, then look for a dealer that sells that brand, and buy a cutting edge from them. Before you even go looking for a replacement cutting edge, check to see if the edge that you presently have can be turned over and have a fresh edge. Some brands of plows you can do that, and others are made that is not possible. If you just can't seem to find one, then look for a steel supplier that has the ability to punch holes in the steel that you purchase from him.
You can also get a double acting piston, so you will only need one to turn the blade in either direction. This is how the Kubota blades are made, using a single 5" long 2" diameter cylinder.

gearjammer

Equipment
2019 bx 23s 2017 road king
Mar 7, 2018
boonville ny
I got a piece of 2 inch pipe on mine cut about half inch piece put of pipe weld some tabs on slide on plow bolt on works great

winesalot

Jul 14, 2016
Chelan, WA
If you know the brand of the plow that you purchased, then look for a dealer that sells that brand, and buy a cutting edge from them. Before you even go looking for a replacement cutting edge, check to see if the edge that you presently have can be turned over and have a fresh edge. Some brands of plows you can do that, and others are made that is not possible. If you just can't seem to find one, then look for a steel supplier that has the ability to punch holes in the steel that you purchase from him.
You can also get a double acting piston, so you will only need one to turn the blade in either direction. This is how the Kubota blades are made, using a single 5" long 2" diameter cylinder.
Thanks for the reply.

It is old and rusted. No clue as to the manufacturer. Could be homemade even. Turning it over is a good idea. Maybe I will have to make my own.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
It would be easy to see if it were home made, however, there were many, many snow plow brands in the last 50 years. I used to be in the truck equipment business, and we sold everything from Valk to Mid Equipment and Fischer. If you post a picture of the back of the blade I might recognize it from long ago. 7 holes on the cutting edge isn't that common, usually a 7' blade has 6 holes. One give away of a homemade blade is that rarely would it have square holes holding the cutting edge on. You will usually need a strong breaker bar to loosen the plow bolts. I suggest spraying them with Deep Creep for a day before you try to remove them. Also wire brush to get any rust off of them. At $3.50 / $4.00 apiece, it is worth trying to save them.

winesalot

Jul 14, 2016
Chelan, WA
It would be easy to see if it were home made, however, there were many, many snow plow brands in the last 50 years. I used to be in the truck equipment business, and we sold everything from Valk to Mid Equipment and Fischer. If you post a picture of the back of the blade I might recognize it from long ago. 7 holes on the cutting edge isn't that common, usually a 7' blade has 6 holes. One give away of a homemade blade is that rarely would it have square holes holding the cutting edge on. You will usually need a strong breaker bar to loosen the plow bolts. I suggest spraying them with Deep Creep for a day before you try to remove them. Also wire brush to get any rust off of them. At $3.50 / $4.00 apiece, it is worth trying to save them.
I won't be home in the daylight until tomorrow. I'll get a picture and post it then. Thanks for the help.