Go Back   OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota > Kubota Talk > Service, Repair & Maintenance

Service, Repair & Maintenance Offer your Kubota service advice, repair procedures or maintenance tips. Have a service related question? Post here.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1
RKirkby

Equipment: T1570 lawn tractor
Default T1570 lawn tractor puffing black smoke

Hello, I am new to the forum but was hoping for some help.
I have A t1570 Kubota lawn tractor that was running perfect but is now puffing black smoke. It has the 15hp Kohler engine model #CV15S (OHV, full pressure lubrication, hydraulic valve lifters). I googled for answers and it said that it is either getting too much gas or not enough air. Fuel filter was changed at the start of the year, I replaced the spark plug with a plug from a Kubota dealer, and an OEM air filter. It worked for about two weeks and is doing it again. When it starts puffing black smoke it seems to be flooding itself. it will go until it chokes itself out (about 1/2 hour) and then will not start again unless I let it sit for at least 2 hours. I also tried running without an air filter but does not make a difference.
What should I be looking for?
Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks for the help,
Ron
RKirkby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links  
Advertisement
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2
greenacresnorth
2nd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: L2501,BH77
Default Re: T1570 lawn tractor puffing black smoke

if you pull the filter and look down the carb, can you see the choke plate? if so when its running is it trying to move or close off?
greenacresnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3
Russell King
Journeyman

Equipment: L185F

Sounds like the carburetor should be adjusted to lean up the fuel into the engine. Search online for how to adjust the high speed jet on that engine. You may need to figure out which carburetor is installed to get specific information.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Russell King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4
lugbolt
Journeyman

Equipment: G1900-S with RC54-G20

Sometimes the carburetor's float valve will leak intermittently. You can try replacing the float valve, but you'll likely also have to replace the bowl gasket and mounting gasket. Have also seen some fuel pumps die and puke fuel directly into the engine crankcase. If that happens the oil level will rise and the fumes from the diluted crankcase oil will cause the engine to intermittently run really rich.

Generally if you are finding that the little carb needs to be rebuilt, it may be money ahead to replace it depending on what it costs. Been a while since I've priced one, though. I would imagine that Kubota's price is going to be higher than Kohler's price from an online retailer so you may want to research it after checking the engine oil.
lugbolt is offline   Reply With Quote