L3130D Stalled when stuck - Air in Fuel Lines?

27acres

Equipment
L3130D, LA513 Loader, Box Blade, Fork Lift Attachment
Jan 28, 2016
North GA
I took my L3130D up one of my steep fire roads to look for some fill dirt and managed to get myself stuck. The trouble is that I didn't realize that having 1/4 tank of diesel was going to be an issue. The edge of the road caved (it was washed under) and my box-grader ended up stuck in the hillside. I was paddling myself out with the front-end loader, when I think the 45 degrees up and left caused some air to suck into the fuel line. I was actually dropping my 3-point to try to un-hang the box grader edge when it stalled. The scary part was watching about a 1/4 qt or so of hydro fluid ($$) come out the overflow valve. This stopped when I pulled the lever back up while trying to start.

I am getting a battery light, but it's turning over well, it's turning over a few times, a light pop and nothing. I can do this continually, with the occasional pops but I think it's starved of fuel.

I have been told by someone that there may be some kind of in-line fuel pump you can manipulate on the tractor. Can someone tell me if the Kubota has this? I don't see anything about it in the FSM. There is an "Air Vent Cock" for bleeding air.

From FSM:
Bleeding Fuel System
Air must removed :
1. When the fuel filter or lines are removed.
2. When tank is completely empty.
3. After the tractor has not been used for a long period of time.
Bleeding procedure is as follows.
1. Fill the fuel tank with fuel, and open the fuel cock (1).
2. Open the air vent cock (2) on the fuel injection pump.
3. Start the engine and run for about 30 seconds, and then stop the
engine.
4. Close the air vent cock.
***9632; IMPORTANT
***8226; Always close the air vent cock except for bleeding fuel lines.
Otherwise, engine runs irregularly or stalls frequently.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It a mechanical fuel up that is activated by the engine turning, so no, no manual manipulation is done to it.
On this tractor you shouldn't have to bleed the injectors as it should do it itself, so save that for the last step.
Fill tank, shut off the fuel at the filter, remove the filter dump and junk out of the filter housing (be mindful of the 2 O-rings), open the fuel shut off briefly to confirm fuel flow, replace all of the filter components open valve, bowl should fill right up with fuel, open the bleeder valve on the side of the injection pump, set throttle to mid to high, crank for less than like 15 sec at a time, if it starts let it run then, with it running close the bleeder valve, done.
If it wont start, you will need to crack all of the injector lines at the injectors and close the bleeder valve and then crank it till clean air free fuel flows from the injectors, then tighten fittings and start. ;)