Smart guys and gals

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
WTF, today I got 3 calls on my antique flip phone, and I dont get calls on it unless something has gone really sideways. Anyways each one of these callers ,all from different numbers, said they had revived calls from my number. One guy got a little nasty even when I told him the phone has not been used for days. The others were like yeah right asshole. So is there some kind of scam going around where they use some local number so they cant get traced?

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
The phone scammers are able to make your number appear on the screen of the persons' they are calling. I get a lot of calls from my area code - same exchange and the last 4 numbers changed. I often call them back only to get the message that that number is not in use. There is nothing that you did nor is there any thing you can do to stop them. I do have a long list of blocked numbers on my phone.

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
I don’t pick up the phone unless it’s a number I recognize.

Leave a message I’ll call you back.
Or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
What John T said.

Verizon just kicked off a free spam identifier service which seems to be working well. The best thing is if the damned congress could quit blathering about impeachment and pass the NO SPAM bill stuck in committee.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
The practice of having caller ID show a different number than the one the call is actually made from is called "spoofing".

The telcos can easily detect spoofing, but unless laws are passed to force them into blocking those calls, they aren't likely to do it.

For now, until they get their act together, just don't answer a call from a number you don't recognize. Let them leave a message.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Yup, spammers spoofing your number. I've had several people call me asking why I called them. I calmly explained that a scammer was probably causing my number to show up on their caller ID.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I got a call a few weeks back on my cell phone from MY number. How tlhey do it I don't know. But I answer my phone because I have a couple of rental units open and have a number for them to call.

I just enjoy the ones wanting to help with my student loan, or automobile warranty extension, or because my credit is so good they are going to help me with better interest rates.

I was in a line at the drive up at Walgreen's drug store. Got a call for my student loan. I hit the number to talk to the guy who's going to solve my problem. When he gets on the phone he ask me how I am doing today. I told him I'm third in line at the drug store and the cars in front are not moving very fast. Can you help me with that? Before he can say anything, I tell him it's cold out and my heater isn't working very good when I'm parked with the window down, can you help me get it warmer in here? the sign hanging in front of me says they handle Medicare part D drugs, how can I be sure they are part D. Do you have a way I can know for sure? I just went on and on...he finally hung up.

I needed some entertainment at that moment, and I kept him busy for a while!

Skeets, life is too short to get too upset over things you can't control. When folks give you grief over things you know you had nothing to do with just let it go. YOU are not responsible for other's actions, only your reactions.

Last edited:

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I drive a lot and sometimes you just get sleepy. I got a God send message."This is the IRS....." And they left a call back number. I called the number back and asked for the address so I could send them a check, and again so I could get their name so I could tell their boss what a good job they were doing. What ever thing came to mind I called back. Finally the guy asked me "if you would be so kind as to not call back". It kept me awake for a good 2 hours. Good times.

Bmbbm

Equipment
Bx2370 land pride box blade 60"mmm kubota fel
May 29, 2016
Chillicothe mo
I got 16 calls yesterday from the same number . And 5 that came up number unknown. I didn't answer but hit the I can't take your call now leave a message. The message was your SSN has been suspended call back immediately. I called the number from a different phone and you could hear lots of people talking in the background but they didn't answer. It's very frustrating. I filed a complaint with the SS administration but they have no policing power. I wears me out and I bet a lot of people fall for it and get scammed.

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
Just pick up the phone and say "I did what you said and now there is blood everywhere, what next?"