L2501 and LP SA20 Hydraulic Auger?

Bcamos

Equipment
L3901
Nov 1, 2016
Texas
I'm looking at buying a new tractor and I'm wondering if the Land Pride SA20 hydraulic auger will work on a L2501. The SA20 calls for 6-30gpm and the L2501 falls a bit short at 5.15gpm. Does this mean that the auger will just run a bit slow, or will it not work at all?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
No, it's not going to work very well or if at all.

There is a mixed consens on this, but in pure numbers it's very very weak and slow.

You would be much better off with a PTO post hole digger. ;)

Bcamos

Equipment
L3901
Nov 1, 2016
Texas
No, it's not going to work very well or if at all.

There is a mixed consens on this, but in pure numbers it's very very weak and slow.

You would be much better off with a PTO post hole digger. ;)
Would you suggest a larger tractor (L3901?) or just avoid the hydraulic option altogether?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Would you suggest a larger tractor (L3901?) or just avoid the hydraulic option altogether?
Even a L3901 still does not have the output to properly run it.

They are designed for skid steer with much better hydraulic flow.
At the tractors low flow they are extremely anemic at best.

So personally while I really like the concept, I don't think it's well implemented on a tractor, so I would stick with a PTO driven unit.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Messicks have a video on a low flow auger that's OK. Even they only claim it to be OK, but OK is better than weak, so worth looking at.

Bcamos

Equipment
L3901
Nov 1, 2016
Texas
Messicks have a video on a low flow auger that's OK. Even they only claim it to be OK, but OK is better than weak, so worth looking at.
Yeah I saw that one. It was on a B2650 which has a bit better flow than the standard L's do. 8.6gpm or something around there, I believe.

Johnson16

Equipment
L2501
Jul 9, 2019
Metamora, Michigan
While probably not cost effective perhaps you could consider a three point mounted hydraulic power pack. I’m sure it ain’t cheap but seems like the best way to get more flow. I am not very familiar with them however.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
AugerTorque has several models made for lower flow units.

I have a friend with a fence company that has a hydraulic post hole digger powered by a 6HP Honda engine. There is plenty of power in the tractor, the problem is flow of the fluid. Most units have been made for higher flow machines, but not all.

PTO augers tend to run 90-130 RPM depending on the gearing. It is an un-weighted engagement and tends to free spin quite a bit so you are not actually digging down at 100RMP.

I have worked with the engnieers at AugerTorque and have a unit coming that should spin at at least 50 RPM. With 50 RPM, downforce and the proper Auger bit/fliting, they are reasonably sure I will outdig most PTO units and with reverse, I will never get it stuck like the PTO models.

Bucket mount will give a lot more height to work with as well as much better positioning control.

For some reason the folks here don't like the hydraulic models. I am not sure why. Most that comment about not liking them don't tend to own them so it is hard to tell why they have a dislike with no experience owning one.

I have run a PTO unit through hundreds of holes and look forward to getting the new hydraulic setup going.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Yeah I saw that one. It was on a B2650 which has a bit better flow than the standard L's do. 8.6gpm or something around there, I believe.
8.6 gross. 5 gpm at the remotes. ( I had them measured and through the factory hoses I get 4.7-4.8 consistent.

With 3/8" hoses directly off the remote ports I am getting 5.1 to 5.2gpm, so in my case I am going to bypass the factory plumbing out to the remote and just run 3/8" lines directly to the auger.

Bcamos

Equipment
L3901
Nov 1, 2016
Texas
AugerTorque has several models made for lower flow units.

I have a friend with a fence company that has a hydraulic post hole digger powered by a 6HP Honda engine. There is plenty of power in the tractor, the problem is flow of the fluid. Most units have been made for higher flow machines, but not all.

PTO augers tend to run 90-130 RPM depending on the gearing. It is an un-weighted engagement and tends to free spin quite a bit so you are not actually digging down at 100RMP.

I have worked with the engnieers at AugerTorque and have a unit coming that should spin at at least 50 RPM. With 50 RPM, downforce and the proper Auger bit/fliting, they are reasonably sure I will outdig most PTO units and with reverse, I will never get it stuck like the PTO models.

Bucket mount will give a lot more height to work with as well as much better positioning control.

For some reason the folks here don't like the hydraulic models. I am not sure why. Most that comment about not liking them don't tend to own them so it is hard to tell why they have a dislike with no experience owning one.

I have run a PTO unit through hundreds of holes and look forward to getting the new hydraulic setup going.
My dealer told me that he's had several people buy the L series tractors with the LP SA20 auger with no complaints. So I went with the L3901 and SA20. I'll see how it works once everything comes in.

Last edited:

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
My dealer told me that he's had several people buy the L series tractors with the LP SA20 auger with no complaints. So I went with the L3901 and SA20. I'll see how it works once everything comes in.

Congratulations! That is a sweet order there.

Bcamos

Equipment
L3901
Nov 1, 2016
Texas
Congratulations! That is a sweet order there.

Thanks! It’s stressing me out to have an order that big haha. The total cost ended up being more than I paid for my diesel F250. But I got a lot of rebates and 0% interest, so I couldn’t argue with it. Plus it’s all items that we really need and will use quite often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro