Adhesive for cracked hood on BX1850

Mondo

Equipment
L355ss, back blade, bush hog
Apr 17, 2017
NYS
I used Marine Epoxy on a crack I had on the inside of the door of my washing machine that was leaking. That was 3 years ago and worked fine.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
JB Weld for plastic should work.
I just used JB Weld for plastic on a Peterbilt fuel tank fairing and it worked great. It's really tenacious stuff. I strip of reinforcing behind it will make the repair much stronger too.

stumpcutter

Equipment
BX1850d
Nov 22, 2017
virginia
Don't remember where I read it , but some glues,JB weld won't stick to the plastic kubota uses. Cleaned it with alcohol, break cleaner, still will not stick. It's something about the oil in the plastic. Also anyone use any of the plastic welders, from Harbor Freight? Thanks

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Don't remember where I read it , but some glues,JB weld won't stick to the plastic kubota uses. Cleaned it with alcohol, break cleaner, still will not stick. It's something about the oil in the plastic. Also anyone use any of the plastic welders, from Harbor Freight? Thanks
You hit it on the nail head, it's not the fact that it's plastic, it's the type of plastic that you are working with that makes it problematic.

I would recommend the cheaper version of welder, less chance of distortion of the base material, and get more rods, I do believe the material they are using for the parts is polypropylene (PP), but confirm that is you can by marks or numbers on the plastic.

https://www.harborfreight.com/80-watt-iron-plastic-welding-kit-60662.html

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
Get a hot layer of weld down. Grab some fiberglass mesh to put down, then put another hot layer of weld over it. The reinforcement is everything especially when you can get to the backside.

If you can ID the plastic type from a mold stamp, there may be a repair epoxy for it. You'll have to check with a body shop supply house. It will work best over the completed weld with more mesh reinforcement, especially if it's a vibrating high stress area. Plastic epoxies are very specific to their application. If not matched, they'll peel like Bondo off a spreader.

Edit: I see the H/F kit comes with steel mesh.

Last edited:

wgator

Equipment
L4701HST, FEL and other stuff.
Jul 28, 2018
NC
You could also use aluminum window screen strip on backside.

ad356

May 17, 2019
north java ny
i have a BX2350 and my plastics are not in terrrible shape but i have a couple of small cracks..... on the wrap around front/side panels. of course i would like to prevent the cracks from becoming an issue. would i buy the plastic welding iron thats 80w or go for the 800W unit?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
i have a BX2350 and my plastics are not in terrrible shape but i have a couple of small cracks..... on the wrap around front/side panels. of course i would like to prevent the cracks from becoming an issue. would i buy the plastic welding iron thats 80w or go for the 800W unit?
The 800W unit is nice if you can work quickly, to much heat and you could just blow through or warp the heck out of what you're working with. ;)

I like the 80W iron style unit because you and work slower and in tight spaces.

Here is another trick, use a strip of steel window screen (aluminum wont hold heat long enough), have the BBQ very close, pre cut the piece and heat it up and then drop it onto the repair area, it will imbed itself partially in the plastic then just help it in with the iron.

Butch

Equipment
Kubota 2410, RC60-24B, FL1000- kubota hydrolic front snow blade- plug aerator
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
I repaired my neighbor's Deere plastic hood. I used the nylon mesh drywall tape and "GOOP" applied in 3 over lapping bonds on the hood inside. So far it has held for at least 4 years and counting. GOOP is a very strong adhesive that is self leveling, and relatively clear. Cures in 24 hours. The main characteristic for GOOP is there is a lot of elasticity and flexibility after it cures. Flexing and vibrations do not attack the repair. GOOP specifically for plastic can be purchased at ACE Hardware and the big box home repair stores.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
i ended up replacing mine through my local dealer, was around $200 i think. I wonder if anyone has fitted a later model metal hood as a retrofit....

stumpcutter

Equipment
BX1850d
Nov 22, 2017
virginia
Finally got around to attempting to try repair hood. Put down not too bad plastic weld. Looks like interstate 81 pave job. Too much smoke,and fumes coming off for me to do fine tune job. Probably take B737 suggestion and get new one. thanks for all the ideas. Tried to upload pictures but didn't work.

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
I agree with In Utopia about backing the crack with fiberglass mesh. It will help it from not cracking as easily.