ZD221 Mower deck PTO does not engage.

OakL

Equipment
ZD 211
Oct 19, 2019
Brockville, Ontario, Canada
First timer, got a used ZD221 with 1100 hrs on it. Have been using it all summer working just great. On a cold morning I could not get the mower to engage, after the engine warmed up it eventually did work and worked while i cut the grass for about 2 hours. Yesterday the same thing happened, is there a clutch that engages the PTO? It seems like something in the mechanism is stiff when the weather is colder..?
Any suggestions is appreciated, I am fairly good with tools.

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Welcome to OTT.

The PTO lever may need adjusting. I would start there. When it is warm there is enough play in it to engage, but when cold it won't.

If that doesn't correct it, then it is going to be a lot of work.

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
You can get a detailed illustration of the parts from either Meesick or Kubota.

A Work Shop Manual (WSM) will give instructions on how to adjust it.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Honestly you can't properly diagnose that system without a pressure gauge and a WSM.

They're not too hard to burn up the PTO clutch so it would be advisable to grab a manual for your mower and follow it closely.

OakL

Equipment
ZD 211
Oct 19, 2019
Honestly you can't properly diagnose that system without a pressure gauge and a WSM.

They're not too hard to burn up the PTO clutch so it would be advisable to grab a manual for your mower and follow it closely.
I understand, but it seems like the control valve shaft (at the back end of the linkage) is very tight and hard to turn. I have also tried to use antiseize and penetrating oil around the control valve shaft. It is definately the control valve that does not move to activate the PTO. I can move it with a pair of pliers but not with the handle / linkage system.
I am just trying to find out if I can remove the shaft and clean it without dis assembling the whole PTO unit.
It goes without saying I appreciate any advise.

OakL

Equipment
ZD 211
Oct 19, 2019
Re: ZD221 Mower deck PTO does not engage. Problem solved

I understand, but it seems like the control valve shaft (at the back end of the linkage) is very tight and hard to turn. I have also tried to use antiseize and penetrating oil around the control valve shaft. It is definately the control valve that does not move to activate the PTO. I can move it with a pair of pliers but not with the handle / linkage system.
I am just trying to find out if I can remove the shaft and clean it without dis assembling the whole PTO unit.
It goes without saying I appreciate any advise.
Today I took the control valve apart cleaned it and the sleeve. Put it together and it is smooth as butter again. Will change hydr oil and filter before I start using it. Also checked the linkage and it seems like everything is straight and in good shape.
Thanks to everybody that gave advise.:)

WadeN

Equipment
ZD323
Feb 12, 2024
MS
you can. It is easy.
Can you point me in the correct direction, can't seem to find any parts breakdown (at least identifying the shaft/PTO valve). I'd like to clean inside the case, my mower requires a pipe wrench to turn when disconnec

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Can you point me in the correct direction, can't seem to find any parts breakdown (at least identifying the shaft/PTO valve). I'd like to clean inside the case, my mower requires a pipe wrench to turn when disconnec
Look at the lever you push to engage the pto. Follow it down under the seat. It attaches to the pto valve with a pin/clip. That's the pto valve that often gets stuck.

WadeN

Equipment
ZD323
Feb 12, 2024
MS
Thanks for the reply, I have found the shaft that "rotates" as the PTO lever is engaged. I can barely move the shaft back and forth with channel locks - have sprayed WD40, anti-sieze,etc but no luck. It sounded like OakL -->" Today I took the control valve apart cleaned it and the sleeve. Put it together and it is smooth as butter again. " was what I might need to perform. You mentioned it "Was easy". Any directions to taking the valve itself apart? I'll look to see if I can remove something to see the valve that the shaft is activating. Thanks.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
on the ZD3 series you have to remove the front filter and find a small hole below the center thread. You have to stick the blunt end of a 3/16 drill bit into it, turn the valve manually until the bit goes through the "shaft" (valve) and then you "adjust" (bend) the hand-actuated lever so that it stays in the 'engaged' position when you put the pin back in. If that adjustment is "off", much, the pto valve hole won't line up quite right and can contribute to pto clutch failure-which we do NOT want. I know a ZD3xx series is different than ZD221, but I wanted to mention it because the operation is very similar.

Look at your parts diagram. Diagram # C42300. #120 is your pto valve. That "shaft" you speak of, IS the PTO valve. It rotates in the transmission case. There is a hole in the valve. When the shaft is rotated the hole lines up with a set of passages inside the case, which allows pressurized oil to flow from the pump to the pto clutch.

On the ZG series and the ZD221 may be the same, the valve won't come all the way out, just slide it as far as you can get it and clean 'er up as best you can, clean it, and reinsert. IIRC there's a snap ring on the opposite end that needs to come off so it'll slide out.

WadeN

Equipment
ZD323
Feb 12, 2024
MS
Thanks!! Looks like I'll be playing with the mower this weekend. I'll report back and wish me luck! Thanks again!