Go Back   OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota > Kubota Talk > Tires & Wheels

Tires & Wheels Discuss everything related to ag, turf or industrial tires, wheels, rims, ballast and chains right here.

Old 08-29-2018   #11
Paluch1
1st Yr. Apprentice

Default Re: Advice on Plowing Snow with Chains or 4x4

Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to check out the loading of the tires and probably stick with the turf tires and maybe add rubber chains if I slip a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Paluch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links  
Advertisement
Old 08-29-2018   #12
bearbait

Master Tech

Equipment: L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitcakesa View Post
I have been plowing my steep gravel drive for the past 4 years in my L4630 with loaded R4's and full wrap lugged chains on the rear's and always in 4WD...I hate getting stuck.
This winter I will be using the M6040 with loaded R1 ag tires.
I have never run R1's before so I will likely put the chains on for safety sake
I've found that with the R1 tires I don't need chains with the tractor I have now. I did try to run them the first winter however in the wet snow and it packed up in the chains making like a hard softball which made it almost impossible to drive with them on. They were fine with the R4'S on my other tractor. On the B3200 I owned a few years back which had R1's I studded the front tires mainly because the tractor was so light with the front blower it kept drawing me off to the side of the road towards the ditch. Once studded it was like night and day. Just an option you may want to consider. Here's a link to the studs I used, I believe they were 5/8's in length.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/KOLD-KUTTER-...8/172071072864
bearbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018   #13
200mph
4th Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower

Regardless of tires (R4 or R3's), recommend planning for the worse and be proactive in buying and installing chains. In the middle of heavy snowfall or when you're stuck is no time to find out chains are needed. Supply diminishes and lead times lengthen during the winter.

I've owned multiple tractors over the years with both turf & R4s, always ended up adding chains to them. Flat land could get away without, but throw in a grade or drop off along the driveway and your glade you have them. Traction improvement is 3x or more with them.

Chain experience centers around: 2 link cross chains, 4 link cross chains and rubber tire chains.
200mph is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018   #14
RCW

Master Tech

Equipment: BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200mph View Post
Regardless of tires (R4 or R3's), recommend planning for the worse and be proactive in buying and installing chains.
Great advice, especially since the OP is from Buffalo. You said what I was thinking....

Neighbor uses his BX24 to do similar-sized paved driveway with FEL, R4's, and no chains. It can take him a while with big snow, lots of short passes down to bare blacktop. Often has to move snow a couple times, especially in his wide turn-around area.

I often make a couple passes with my blower to make it go faster for him.

Last edited by RCW; 08-31-2018 at 06:56 AM.
RCW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018   #15
NoJacketRequired
3rd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2771 blower, B2410 c/w B2550 blower

I have a matching pair of B7510's, one on Ag tires, one on turf tires. In deep snow the ag tires win, hands down. in anything that's even a bit slippery the turf tires win.

Oh, by the way, if you really want to make your life easier, especially given the big dumps of snow you can get in Buffalo, just buy the front-mount snow blower and be done with it.
NoJacketRequired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018   #16
Howling
2nd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: BX2370

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJacketRequired View Post
Oh, by the way, if you really want to make your life easier, especially given the big dumps of snow you can get in Buffalo, just buy the front-mount snow blower and be done with it.
I agree snowblower is nicer in putting the snow back off the driveway.

If not a blower look at back blade. Can be angled to push snow off to side as you go down the driveway. FEL bucket pushes straight ahead and spills off both side.

The was recent thread about poly cutting edge is you are worried about marking driveway.
Howling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018   #17
Paluch1
1st Yr. Apprentice

Thanks for all the help and replies. I am going to get s set of the rubber chains for the back of my BX so I don't rip up my concrete. But should I spend the extra $37 and get the 3 link instead of the 4 link. Is there a big difference?

Old 08-31-2018   #18
RCW

Master Tech

Equipment: BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Default Advice on Plowing Snow with Chains or 4x4

With steel chains, the general school of thought is the more stringers (cross members) the better.
I have 2-link chains for my tractor versus 4-link. I think 2-link ride better also, since the stringers are closer together.
Assume the same would apply for rubber ones, but guessing.
My picture also shows how chains get down in between the treads of R4 tires, but if kept tight they work well on the other side of the tire. I canít get by without them. Been thinking of fronts too, but that can be an issue with binding the front drivetrain.

Last edited by RCW; 08-31-2018 at 01:26 PM.
RCW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018   #19
200mph
4th Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower

Yes, spend the extra for more cross links. I have rubber chains and very pleased with them on turf tires. Just get them really tight when installing. I remove all air from tires, tighten chains and then air up.
200mph is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018   #20
Paluch1
1st Yr. Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howling View Post
I agree snowblower is nicer in putting the snow back off the driveway.

If not a blower look at back blade. Can be angled to push snow off to side as you go down the driveway. FEL bucket pushes straight ahead and spills off both side.

The was recent thread about poly cutting edge is you are worried about marking driveway.

I tried searching for the post but can't find it. I'll have to go through threads I wonder if I could make one up if they don't sell it