What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

Paul Allwood

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7200HSTD, homemade FEL, front flail mower, forks & ballast box, tiller
Jul 8, 2025
807
1,509
93
Baranduda, Victoria, Australia
During the summer if I get a hardwood blow down across a trail I just move it off and leave it trailside. I end up with bits of firewood spread all over. Then on a nice day like today when I am in the mood I go out and pick some of it up. This is my 4th stop. White Birch on top of some Red Maple and Yellow Birch

View attachment 179975

and the 6th stop - Beech and more Yellow Birch

View attachment 179976

Some of it isn't too pretty

View attachment 179977

the 8th and last stop for today - some more Beech and Iron Wood (Hop Hornbeam)

View attachment 179978

3/4 of a cord - should give me a good half cord when all worked up

View attachment 179979

In the door yard ready to go.

View attachment 179980

Makes for a good day for an old guy who likes to putter in the woods

gg
Great setup, first for collecting the logs, then for transferring to the bench. Do you use the timber bench to support the logs while you cut them into lengths ready for splitting ? I'd be interested to see your next steps too.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 users

g_man

Well-known member

Equipment
L3010DT, M5640SUD, Dresser TD7G
Feb 3, 2023
410
1,933
93
NE Vermont
Great setup, first for collecting the logs, then for transferring to the bench. Do you use the timber bench to support the logs while you cut them into lengths ready for splitting ? I'd be interested to see your next steps too.

Yes, I block it up on the table with the splitter nearby. Some times I split it and stack it -


26_5_23-1.JPG

And some times I split it into the bucket and stack it in the shed -

25_9_2-1.JPG


22_7_30-3.JPG

gg
 
  • Like
  • Love
Reactions: 13 users

Shawn T. W

Well-known member

Equipment
'05 L5030 HSTC - '21 MF GC 1725 MB - '18 JD Z960M Z-Trak
Dec 9, 2024
848
1,562
93
SW Missouri Ozarks
I finally pulled my battery out and got everything cleaned up ... When I bought it last July the dealer told be the battery ground to frame was corroded ...

IMG_20261003_131231194~2.jpg

I load tested the nearly 4 year old battery ...

IMG_20261003_132753618.jpg

And gave it about 45 mL of water in each vent ...

IMG_20261003_140016297.jpg

Then put it all back together with dielectric grease ...

Then I filled a tote and took it down to the creek to give the little fishies a drink ...

IMG_20261003_160526606.jpg

Another 250 gallons ... We only got 0.11" of rain on Thursday night ...

IMG_20261003_162216380.jpg
 
  • Like
Reactions: 10 users

Shawn T. W

Well-known member

Equipment
'05 L5030 HSTC - '21 MF GC 1725 MB - '18 JD Z960M Z-Trak
Dec 9, 2024
848
1,562
93
SW Missouri Ozarks
Took another tote of water down to the creek, we've only had 0.11" of rain in more than 6 weeks, then only a little over an inch the previous 6 weeks!

IMG_20261004_113036141.jpg
 
  • Like
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users

netspyder

Member

Equipment
L3010HST
Jun 9, 2025
44
90
18
Missouri
well ... dried in the cabin this weekend, but not using my kubota. i did brush hog everything, drag the driveway with the box blade, and till and plant my food plot
1791195936105.png
next year the grass should fill out.
1791195987484.png
truckload of manure doesn't go as far as you hope it will
1791196058895.png
 
  • Like
Reactions: 8 users

ken erickson

Well-known member

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
1,442
2,695
113
Waupaca Wisconsin
Spent a greet fall weekend tent camping in my wall tent.

Did a bit of grapple work and maintenance mowed about 3/4 acre of prairie. Hopefully I will be able to do a prescribed burn in the next year or so.
For now the maintenance mowing is knocking down the un-wanted woody species that are creeping in from the edges, aspens and scot pines.

This coming spring I am replacing the wall tent with a pre-built 14x24 structure that will include a 6 foot covered porch. This old man is getting to the point of wanting a hard shell for my stays at the land. I will be using the tractor to enlarge the tent pad and spread and level gravel.

1000026358.JPG
1000026229.JPG
1000026208.JPG

Screen Shot 2026-09-26 at 11.10.53 AM.jpeg
 
  • Like
  • Wow
Reactions: 14 users

RCW

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
10,331
7,363
113
Chenango County, NY
No tractor in this one, but related.

Geddy agrees with my assessment.

When the leaves are (almost) down, the mower deck comes off the tractor.

Tire chains go on, loader if needed, then snowblower.

Looks like we’re about there for the seasonal transition.

image.jpg
 
  • Like
Reactions: 7 users

GrumpyFarmer

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
3,596
5,248
113
Ohio
Spent a greet fall weekend tent camping in my wall tent.

Did a bit of grapple work and maintenance mowed about 3/4 acre of prairie. Hopefully I will be able to do a prescribed burn in the next year or so.
For now the maintenance mowing is knocking down the un-wanted woody species that are creeping in from the edges, aspens and scot pines.

This coming spring I am replacing the wall tent with a pre-built 14x24 structure that will include a 6 foot covered porch. This old man is getting to the point of wanting a hard shell for my stays at the land. I will be using the tractor to enlarge the tent pad and spread and level gravel.

View attachment 180140
View attachment 180141
View attachment 180142

View attachment 180143
I bet tha cabin would be toasty warm with a small wood stove in it. (Do you / will you have a well at the cabin?)

Regarding your prairie lands: Do you spot spray, pull, or just knock down the invasive/unwanted species before they go to seed?
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

ken erickson

Well-known member

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
1,442
2,695
113
Waupaca Wisconsin
I bet tha cabin would be toasty warm with a small wood stove in it. (Do you / will you have a well at the cabin?)

Regarding your prairie lands: Do you spot spray, pull, or just knock down the invasive/unwanted species before they go to seed?
No well at the land. I bring in drinking water/cooking water and have a water guzzler that collects rain water for dish washing etc.

I do have a small hot tent wood stove but not sure if I will use it or look for something better suited.

My main tool has been selective spot spraying of invasive species including woody species. Spotted knapweed is my most prevalent invasive. I use Milestone and spot spray. I was told by a highly regarded local expert on spotted knapweed to stop hand pulling. He says it only disturbs the soil and will kick start 2 or 3 new plants by pulling one. Mowing only forces the plant to bud out at a lower height.

I use Garlon 4 for woody species such as unwanted oak sprouts and aspens.

I have used the girdling method for killing off black locust mother trees with
some success.

The unwanted scot pines just require cutting below the bottom branches and then will not resprout. My land at one time was a Christmas tree plantation , 50's to 80's, and has a ton of seed in the seed bank.

Even though common buckthorn is a issue in Central Wisconsin, as of now, its not a issue on my land.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 6 users

GrumpyFarmer

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
3,596
5,248
113
Ohio
No well at the land. I bring in drinking water/cooking water and have a water guzzler that collects rain water for dish washing etc.

I do have a small hot tent wood stove but not sure if I will use it or look for something better suited.

My main tool has been selective spot spraying of invasive species including woody species. Spotted knapweed is my most prevalent invasive. I use Milestone and spot spray. I was told by a highly regarded local expert on spotted knapweed to stop hand pulling. He says it only disturbs the soil and will kick start 2 or 3 new plants by pulling one. Mowing only forces the plant to bud out at a lower height.

I use Garlon 4 for woody species such as unwanted oak sprouts and aspens.

I have used the girdling method for killing off black locust mother trees with
some success.

The unwanted scot pines just require cutting below the bottom branches and then will not resprout. My land at one time was a Christmas tree plantation , 50's to 80's, and has a ton of seed in the seed bank.

Even though common buckthorn is a issue in Central Wisconsin, as of now, its not a issue on my land.
sounds like a great place for some R&R and light farming of sorts. I’d probably arrange the the porch so you have an area that can be used as a covered shooting range…that’s what I did with ours and I love it. Best cup of coffee I have ever had was sitting under the covered porch watch my bowling alley in the rain 😉. Keep us posted on your cabin project. 👍

Buckthorn is considered an invasive where I am at and we also have what locals call fragmites which is a really tall grass around wetlands. We also have a lot of wild grape vines….if those or poison ivy were a cash crop Buffett would have nothing on me😉. We’ve been at it for several years now (since ‘17).

the results are really remarkable. We planted a pollinator habitat last winter in the snow (just mowed it down last visit) and plan to plan another area this winter. Only troublespots were heavy drainage areas and I will replant those this winter. So far good results but I still have to spot spray and mow down. So far so good though.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 4 users

Shawn T. W

Well-known member

Equipment
'05 L5030 HSTC - '21 MF GC 1725 MB - '18 JD Z960M Z-Trak
Dec 9, 2024
848
1,562
93
SW Missouri Ozarks
I was out digging near my creek with My Little Baby Fergie today, and got too close and was sliding on the loose rocks that I had dug with the BH, and was trying to scoop up and remove . . .

IMG_20261006_165034650_HDR.jpg

I didn't want to dump the bucket of dirt and rocks in the creek, as there is very little water there, and I've been hauling water down to keep the fish alive, and didn't want to muddy it all up for them ... You can see I got the BH to push the back up about 16", but it wouldn't backup out of there ...

I tried to pull it straight back, the bucket wouldn't anchor in, it just wanted to scoop up the dirt ... And I'd spin the tires ...

IMG_20261006_165348431_HDR.jpg

So I did the walk of shame up the hill to get the Kubota's keys ...

IMG_20261006_170805140.jpg

It didn't even notice anything was hooked to the chain, just eased on up out of there!

Little Baby Fergie though wouldn't stay put, so ... I went down to back up a tad to unhook the chain ... It wouldn't back up! Locked in the rear axle, it would just spin the tires!

Then I remembered ... Earlier I had gone up to the house to get more water ... And had taken it out of 4X4 mode ... I looked down ... And felt like an idiot, as sure enough it was still in 2wd!

Probably wasted half an hour ... But it's always comforting to know if things go sideways ... Having two tractors make life easier!
 

Attachments

  • Like
  • Wow
Reactions: 13 users

Paul Allwood

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7200HSTD, homemade FEL, front flail mower, forks & ballast box, tiller
Jul 8, 2025
807
1,509
93
Baranduda, Victoria, Australia
I got the mower back together yesterday after the latest changes and started mowing. Finished mowing today and found something a bit longer to test it on. It doesn't set any speed records.

 
  • Like
Reactions: 4 users

biketopia

Well-known member

Equipment
B2650, RK 60" BB, 42" tiller, 72" LP FM, Forks, Grapple, FEL
Feb 15, 2024
446
479
63
Warrenton VA
Not much tractor work. Picked up two dump trailers' worth of firewood over the past few days. Hate to pay for wood, but fell way behind for this year's season with the now 1-year-old and 4-year-old taking up most of our time. I have about 8 logs that are 20" around and 10 feet long that have been stacked for 2+ years. I'll cut and split them for a start to next year's stash. Also have a good lead on trees moving forward and with my brother now only 15 min away, we can more easily knock out a good wood-splitting session.

A few weeks ago I went with my brother out to Wardensville WV to pick up an L3830 with only 300 hours on it. Been helping him get the fluids changed and some operator training for his new toy.

Then hopefully next week we get to take delivery of the cabbed grand L3970 I ordered for our easement crew at work, which should be a great upgrade over the tired and too-small B3200 it is replacing.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 5 users

Sidekick

Well-known member

Equipment
Kioti CK2620SE cab, RTV-X, BX2360, Z726XKW-3-60
Jul 29, 2023
1,291
1,877
113
N.Y,
Not much tractor work. Picked up two dump trailers' worth of firewood over the past few days. Hate to pay for wood, but fell way behind for this year's season with the now 1-year-old and 4-year-old taking up most of our time. I have about 8 logs that are 20" around and 10 feet long that have been stacked for 2+ years. I'll cut and split them for a start to next year's stash. Also have a good lead on trees moving forward and with my brother now only 15 min away, we can more easily knock out a good wood-splitting session.

A few weeks ago I went with my brother out to Wardensville WV to pick up an L3830 with only 300 hours on it. Been helping him get the fluids changed and some operator training for his new toy.

Then hopefully next week we get to take delivery of the cabbed grand L3970 I ordered for our easement crew at work, which should be a great upgrade over the tired and too-small B3200 it is replacing.
I did the same thing a couple weeks ago as I am behind. With fuel oil over $6.00 a gallon it was definitely worth it
20260829_133742.jpg
Finally ahead now after starting to clean up EAB killed ash. Nothing like wood heat.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 4 users

mdhughes

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
1,481
1,576
113
Ste Geneveive county, MO
I used the L3901DT and BH77 to grade a slope up to a lean-to. Also dug another trench for a dead-man for a retaining wall I'm building. Move 5 bucket load of dirt to back fill the retaining wall.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 users

RMS

Well-known member

Equipment
LX2610HSDC & various attachments, Z421, KX033-4
Sep 26, 2021
317
688
93
Buckfield Maine
I had 6 big pines cut behind my house. I started moving the pieces that weren't chipped to an are that I am filling in. This was the first time I had to back down the hill to that area due to the weight on the grapple. Even with a boatload of ballast and 4wd, I was not going to tempt fate. I have some more left that a neighbor might want for milling, but if that doesn't pan I will have some more trips to make.
I also used the dethatcher to rake up a whole bunch of pine needles, sure beats raking.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 users

biketopia

Well-known member

Equipment
B2650, RK 60" BB, 42" tiller, 72" LP FM, Forks, Grapple, FEL
Feb 15, 2024
446
479
63
Warrenton VA
I did the same thing a couple weeks ago as I am behind. With fuel oil over $6.00 a gallon it was definitely worth it
View attachment 180265
Finally ahead now after starting to clean up EAB killed ash. Nothing like wood heat.
Nice! The beetles killed a lot of our ash trees too. The neighbor had a bunch of standing dead ones taken down when he moved in 5 years ago, and I split and burned quite a few of those. I was lucky enough to find 2 different guys close by that had dropped trees last year and split all the wood, then decided there was no way they were burning all of it in their fireplaces; much cheaper than the guys who sell it around me as their business. Picked up a load of dried maple and dried red oak ready to go. Need to finish stacking the maple, though
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sidekick

Well-known member

Equipment
Kioti CK2620SE cab, RTV-X, BX2360, Z726XKW-3-60
Jul 29, 2023
1,291
1,877
113
N.Y,
Nice! The beetles killed a lot of our ash trees too. The neighbor had a bunch of standing dead ones taken down when he moved in 5 years ago, and I split and burned quite a few of those. I was lucky enough to find 2 different guys close by that had dropped trees last year and split all the wood, then decided there was no way they were burning all of it in their fireplaces; much cheaper than the guys who sell it around me as their business. Picked up a load of dried maple and dried red oak ready to go. Need to finish stacking the maple, though
I have the 2 cords I bought stacked on the south side of my garage in the sun and it's ready to burn now.
20261009_101119.jpg
Moving another 2 cords I cut up on my porch now. Should be good until beginning of March with this. Have about 20 more face cords of ash in the woods I am cutting now. Just bought the bigger Milwaukee 20 inch battery saw to try and I love it. No more gas required.
20261008_143240.jpg
 
  • Like
Reactions: 4 users

RCW

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
10,331
7,363
113
Chenango County, NY
No tractor in this one, but related.

Geddy agrees with my assessment.

When the leaves are (almost) down, the mower deck comes off the tractor.

Tire chains go on, loader if needed, then snowblower.

Looks like we’re about there for the seasonal transition.

View attachment 180146
Yep, and today is the day. Snowblower won’t go on just yet. Chains will go on next week or two. Do some service, motor oil change, etc.

if you’ve ever put tire chains on in the snow or really cold weather, you know why I put them on early. Much easier when it’s 50-60 degrees F. 🤔

image.jpg
 
  • Like
Reactions: 3 users