Deck pulley seized up and melted the belt

Bibi38

New member

Equipment
Kubota BX23S
Sep 24, 2026
5
1
3
NY
Was clearing out the rough patches along the tree line yesterday when I heard a loud screeching noise and lost all power to the blades. Crawled underneath and found one of the idler pulleys completely seized up, which ended up melting a flat spot right through the belt. I need to order some john deere replacement parts online to swap out the stuck pulley and get a fresh belt on deck. For a DIYer working with just a basic socket set, is getting a rusted pulley off the deck shaft pretty straightforward, or am I going to need a special puller to break it free?
 

Runs With Scissors

Well-known member

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
4,121
5,576
113
Michigan
For those of us not familiar with your set up, pics would help a lot in order for us to offer ideas.
 

John T

Well-known member

Equipment
2017 BX23S 385XP Miller211 1952 Panhead Orange Ludwig 4 piece
May 5, 2017
1,376
901
113
under a rock
some idler pulleys you can replace the inner bearing.

not sure what you are working on ... is this kubota or john queer?
 

Fe02man

New member

Equipment
L2501
Apr 18, 2026
1
1
1
Central PA
Was clearing out the rough patches along the tree line yesterday when I heard a loud screeching noise and lost all power to the blades. Crawled underneath and found one of the idler pulleys completely seized up, which ended up melting a flat spot right through the belt. I need to order some john deere replacement parts online to swap out the stuck pulley and get a fresh belt on deck. For a DIYer working with just a basic socket set, is getting a rusted pulley off the deck shaft pretty straightforward, or am I going to need a special puller to break it free?
I had the same problem with my Bush Hog finish mower last month, I started with spaying all the bolts down with penetrating oil, every day while I was waiting for the replacement parts to arrive. May have been over kill but but worth it as my pulley was attached on the main housing so I had to just about take the whole mower apart to change one pulley. I took the down time to do PM functions like greasing everything that needed it new oil and scrapped off rust and touched up the paint a bit. Everything on my mower was std. bolts no puller required, did use a cheater bar on the breaker bar as they were a bit tough to break free. I did down load the manual for my unit to understand how it was assembled from the expanded view pictures, I did find my replacement part on line, it was a bit faster delivery than my local as it was not a stock item for them. My mower is an older model that I bought used.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

Donystoy

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
741
384
63
Binbrook, Ontario
some idler pulleys you can replace the inner bearing.

not sure what you are working on ... is this kubota or john queer?
I replace the idler bearings on both my Ariens xl60 zero turn and John Deere 345. I drill out the rivets or spot welds and then refasten the two halves with bolts or re-weld.
 

North Idaho Wolfman

Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
36,511
11,279
113
Sandpoint, ID
Was clearing out the rough patches along the tree line yesterday when I heard a loud screeching noise and lost all power to the blades. Crawled underneath and found one of the idler pulleys completely seized up, which ended up melting a flat spot right through the belt. I need to order some john deere replacement parts online to swap out the stuck pulley and get a fresh belt on deck. For a DIYer working with just a basic socket set, is getting a rusted pulley off the deck shaft pretty straightforward, or am I going to need a special puller to break it free?
Why are we posting a John Deere parts site?
 

Bee-Positive

Well-known member

Equipment
BX1880, Cab, FEL, Tooth Bar, MMM, QH, Ballast Box
Nov 16, 2022
1,212
1,111
113
Amsterdam, NY
I was wondering about the JD reference also.

Which deck do you have?
RCK54D-26BX-1/RCK54D-26BX
RCK60B23BX
RCK60D-26BX-1/RCK60D-26BX

They're all held on the same way.
Getting the pully off shouldn't be that involved once you get the cir-clip off (#120).


Idler Pully.jpg