Best Hand Pump for a Five Gallon Pail of HST,oil

William1

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D, JD X754 AWS Mower
Jul 28, 2015
1,480
672
113
Richmond, Virginia
I'm so done with quarts. Tired of spilling gallon jugs. Time to man up and use cheaper five gallon pails and a hand pump

Looking for the best pump. Meaning one that the lid 'seals', the pump strokes produce a measured amount and is just an all around good tool. Willing to pay the price for top shelf quality.

Don't need electric as it is a once every three years job, a little exercise is good, so they say.

Just want a good one with 'No Regerts'.
 

ayak

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 HST
Feb 16, 2018
789
1,303
93
WV
I wouldn’t say the lid seals tightly, but I use this on my SUDT-2 5 gal pails:

IMG_6615.jpeg
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 users

Russell King

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
8,015
3,155
113
Austin, Texas
I have one that went into the pour spout of the bucket. It screws onto the spout or into the spout opening. I can’t recall but it worked well and could be removed to reseal the bucket or left in but didn’t really seal the bucket.

I haven’t used it much but it did pump fairly fast and cleanly.

You might consider getting a siphon version and setting the oil pail up above the fill port and just letting the siphon flow. You could then measure out the oil into the pail so you know exactly how much you are adding.

I think most of these pumps can be adapted to the spout of a bucket, but I can’t figure out what size the spout of the pail is.
 

William1

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D, JD X754 AWS Mower
Jul 28, 2015
1,480
672
113
Richmond, Virginia
Only one of you guys has a actual recommendation? I figured a fist fight would of broken out with 'whose recommendation was best ' by now!
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users

#40Fan

Well-known member
Jul 21, 2022
660
489
63
USA
Cheap from Amazon is what I would recommend. I have two that I use regularly, and they look just like the first one in this thread and run around $35.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

hedgerow

Well-known member
Jan 2, 2015
489
479
63
Malcolm NE
I have two of the LuMax brand pumps and they have been good pumps. I bought them at a farm store years ago. I don't use them a lot but there handy when I need them.
 

Runs With Scissors

Well-known member

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
4,114
5,566
113
Michigan
When I was "wrench'n" for a living, I bolted a used "engine oil pump" to the top of a 5 gallon pail and used my cordless drill to power it.

Never needed a "hand cranker" after that. 🤷‍♂️
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

John T

Well-known member

Equipment
2017 BX23S 385XP Miller211 1952 Panhead Orange Ludwig 4 piece
May 5, 2017
1,369
892
113
under a rock
I can say that I've never used a Hand Pail Pump that was any good. Went back to pouring it out.

Can't say I've ever used any kind of pump for a 5 gallon bucket.
I just use a funnel and pour it into an old windshield wash gallon jug.

no need for a pump unless you have a 55 gal drum.
 

mikester

Well-known member

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
4,147
2,836
113
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
5 gallon pail pump - works but not my favourite to use

Air operated pumps on sale now - works excellent
 

BAP

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
3,205
1,318
113
New Hampshire
Here is what I bought a couple of a few years back.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002916OSK?th=1
We used pumps like those for decades to pump gear lube on the farm. Had 3 different lubes and they worked great. I wouldn’t hesitate buying one for other types of oil. I can understand why trying to pour oil out of 5 gallon pails gets tougher as we all get older.