Classic Truck Headliner, Opinions Please

Caden

Active member

Equipment
1979 B7100
Apr 16, 2026
329
189
43
Virginia
Looking for some opinions or y'all's own experiences here. Let me get the backstory out of the way:
I have an 1984 Ford Single cab truck. Originally got it very cheaply on its way to the junkyard.
Since then, over the years, I have been slowly bringing it back from the dead, while using it as a somewhat regular driver. Mechanically it's done, and I had the exterior painted fresh two tone.

Now I'm focusing on the interior. Right now the headliner is trashed, but the backer board is in good shape.
Which leaves me at a crossroads. I could likely source some tan headliner material to match the cab roughly. That is one option, although all I've found so far is expensive yet not the right shade of tan and it looks off.

I've intentionally left the truck looking very original to this point, even down to the paint colors, so I wouldn't mind a custom headliner.

The other day, I saw a truck with an American flag headliner. I liked the look, but I feel it is not the most respectful way to display our flag.

Then, I was considering perhaps some other type of fabric banner, like perhaps of an old album cover. There are several I see online that are sized roughly 3'x4' which is what I need. But, I don't want it to end up looking too off the wall or trashy either.

If I were to go this route, it would be most likely one these 3:


Reba Mcentire -Read My Mind- from 1994
Screenshot 2026-10-01 at 12.05.04 AM.png
Tanya Tucker - TNT -from 1978',
Screenshot 2026-10-01 at 12.02.57 AM.png
George Strait - Does Fort Worth Ever Cross Your Mind- from 1984
Screenshot 2026-10-01 at 12.07.47 AM.png

So I'm asking: keep it factory style or close? Go with a flag? Anyone like the album cover idea, or no? If so, which of the 3 is your preference?

Thanks
 

Runs With Scissors

Well-known member

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
4,109
5,559
113
Michigan
I would go with the "factory look".

The other stuff would be a little over the top for my liking, however; lots of people like thier stuff to "Bling".

I saw some "kid" the other day in his Jeep, and it was like he went through the JC Whitney catalog (do they still have a catalog:unsure:) and decided to buy one of every chrome accessory they had.

To me it looked ridiculous....BUT to him, it was/is probably the coolest thing since sliced bread or canned beer.......

Someone probably LOVES this Jeep too.....


1790844894549.png

But it ain't me🤷‍♂️;)
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

jimh406

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
2,989
2,363
113
Western MT
I’d probably go factory look or leather, and maybe ask at a forum that is for your year truck for help on material or replacement.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

lynnmor

Well-known member

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
1,822
1,624
113
Red Lion
Consider installing a headliner that suppresses noise, I made the mistake of using just cloth but the original had a foam backer, noise increased dramatically. Of course the foam was the original cause of failure.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 users

Russell King

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
8,012
3,153
113
Austin, Texas
I would go with somewhat stock.

I had a headliner that had started coming apart and had it repaired by a local shop. They basically stripped it down to the backer board and then installed a foam lined cloth headliner that matched the original very closely. You may have a local shop that can do something similar or maybe an upholstery shop.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user