Drill Chuck for 1/2" Impact Wrench?

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
Anyone use a drill chuck on a 1/2" air impact wrench? I need to drill some holes to attach some 6x6 post anchors in some very old concrete. I don't have a decent hammer drill so thought I'd use my air impact. Bad idea? Good idea? Any recommendations?

Dustball

Equipment
2016 B2650HSDC
Sep 15, 2023
Hudson, WI
Impact would spin way too fast for concrete and you wouldn't get any hammering action. You'll just burn the tip up and spend way too much time.

I suggest renting a rotary hammer and bit from a local rental place for an afternoon. There's no comparison between a rotary hammer and a hammer drill.

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Impact would spin way too fast for concrete and you wouldn't get any hammering action. You'll just burn the tip up and spend way too much time.

I suggest renting a rotary hammer and bit from a local rental place for an afternoon. There's no comparison between a rotary hammer and a hammer drill.
I agree a rotary is the best for concrete, But because it's air, he can use water to cool the tip and you can turn the speed down on most impacts.

Dustball

Equipment
2016 B2650HSDC
Sep 15, 2023
Hudson, WI
I agree a rotary is the best for concrete, But because it's air, he can use water to cool the tip and you can turn the speed down on most impacts.
I see where you're coming from. I'd be interested to see how the OP fares with this method.

Should point out that the chuck you linked to says it's not for use with impact drivers- it's more of a 'quick-change' application. Not sure why they distinguish between an impact wrench or an impact driver.

fatjay

Equipment
Kubota B8200, B7200, ZD21
Nov 12, 2016
Eastern PA, USA
I just bought a corded milwaukee hammer drill on fb marketplace for $40. It's not SDS but it did the job. I needed to drill about 60 holes 6" deep and 1/2" diameter in concrete that was poured in 1964 to stick rebar pins in a retaining wall I was putting up.

Totally worth it. Check out the used market. Everyone is going battery these days, corded stuff going cheap.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Without more information, My choice would be an SDS rotary hammer It'll make up to 5/8" holes in concrete in a jiffy.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
For a one time use I would get a cheap corded Harbor Freight hammer drill. If it dies they will give you a new one.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
For a one time use I would get a cheap corded Harbor Freight hammer drill. If it dies they will give you a new one.
This is what I did to drill 1/2” holes in rock…. 34 of ‘em…. a foot deep. Worked fine…. Bauer Hammer Drill…. good tool.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I did this for some project years ago. Rotary hammer. Maybe $60-70 (?) with bits and coupon.

Gotten several uses out it since, so consider myself ahead of the game.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I have an old Milwaukee spline shank rotary hammer that can be operated with or without rotation. As others have stated, that’s the type thing you really need.

Thing I’m not getting about how an impact wrench would work is the “hammer/impact” part of a rotary hammer and impact wrench are totally different. For a rotary hammer the impact is front to back, more like a Sawzall than an impact wrench. I can turn the rotation off on mine and use it with a chisel or bull point as a small demolition hammer. It’s that jack hammer chiseling motion of the rotary hammer that allows it to efficiently punch holes in masonry and stone.

An impact wrench hammers in the plane of rotation. That’s great for busting a stuck nut loose but doesn’t do anything but spin a drill bit against a concrete slab.

Rent, buy, or borrow a rotary hammer.

Reactions: 4 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I don't think its a "bad" idea necessarily, but what is the advantage to using an impact?

A rotary hammer drill "pounds into" the work, but an impact won't do that....At least all the impacts I have ever owned did not.

Anyway, IMHO if this is a "limited use" tool, I would go with a HF special.

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Not particularly for the OP’s application but I had to drill some 5/8” holes in a TLB subframe to mount an attachment bracket. Frame about 1/2” thick. Not reachable using a drill and would have required extensive disassembly. Used pneumatic impact wrench with extensions and universal joint to drive a holesaw. Removed the center drill bit, In a scrap plate of steel drilled a 5/8” hole for a holesaw guide and clamped this to the frame. Liberal use of cutting oil it drilled holes surprisingly easy and quick thru the frame. <1 minute per hole.
Have used the guide block and holesaw method to drill holes in thick metal several times. Re-bore worn egg shaped holes for a larger bolt.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I don't think its a "bad" idea necessarily, but what is the advantage to using an impact?

A rotary hammer drill "pounds into" the work, but an impact won't do that....At least all the impacts I have ever owned did not.

Anyway, IMHO if this is a "limited use" tool, I would go with a HF special.
I don’t see an advantage… but I see a potential DIS-advantage….. Damage to the Impact Wrench due to lateral-effort (pressing against the object) ….applied to a tool designed primarily to impart “torque”. The tool is not designed as a “hammer”.

(I can’t tell the number of times I’ve instructed my family members to Stop using the Incorrect-Tool for the job…. I.E., using a screwdriver as a chisel…. or pliers to twist a hex-head fastener… etc.)