l4610 trans/hydraulic fluid leak troubleshoot

Hef2020

Equipment
L4610D
Mar 10, 2020
Pataskala, Ohio
I'm troubleshooting subject fluid leak(s) and am hoping someone can help me answer some questions with goal of fixing the leaks. The price of UDT is motivating along with problem itself being inconvenient (understated).
Although I believe it may have two leaks, I'd first like to focus on the most severe case. Referring to the far right bolt in the attached '0645' picture, there is what I believe to be a valve contained (actually dangling loose) from the center of bolt. I have wiped/cleaned the area around this bolt and think the leak sources from it. Can anyone explain the purpose of this bolt/valve?
I have machine repair experience, but not much as it applies to diesel tractors. I realize a call to Kubota store to order this specific bolt and probably a crush washer is a likely first step, but am really wanting to know what its purpose (besides containing the fluid) is first.
Any insight on this is appreciated. Also, close to certain leak is from bolt, but not wanting to mislead. I'm hopeful as it seems like relatively easy fix. I'm open to any suggestions at to other places to investigate while under there.
Thank you.

Attachments

loggin

Equipment
MX4700
Sep 4, 2021
canada
I'm troubleshooting subject fluid leak(s) and am hoping someone can help me answer some questions with goal of fixing the leaks. The price of UDT is motivating along with problem itself being inconvenient (understated).
Although I believe it may have two leaks, I'd first like to focus on the most severe case. Referring to the far right bolt in the attached '0645' picture, there is what I believe to be a valve contained (actually dangling loose) from the center of bolt. I have wiped/cleaned the area around this bolt and think the leak sources from it. Can anyone explain the purpose of this bolt/valve?
I have machine repair experience, but not much as it applies to diesel tractors. I realize a call to Kubota store to order this specific bolt and probably a crush washer is a likely first step, but am really wanting to know what its purpose (besides containing the fluid) is first.
Any insight on this is appreciated. Also, close to certain leak is from bolt, but not wanting to mislead. I'm hopeful as it seems like relatively easy fix. I'm open to any suggestions at to other places to investigate while under there.
Thank you.
That looks like the clutch bell housing drain and it is supposed to look like that without leaking. If it is hydraulic fluid then it is likely the front wheel assist propeller shaft seal or transmission input seal. If it is motor oil then it will be the rear main seal on the engine.

It will likely require to be split in order to fix the issue.

Personally i would leave it alone until it gets really bad because it is an expensive repair. If you do the repair yourself, make sure you have help. Saves a lot of frustration!!

Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 user

Hef2020

Equipment
L4610D
Mar 10, 2020
Pataskala, Ohio
That looks like the clutch bell housing drain and it is supposed to look like that without leaking. If it is hydraulic fluid then it is likely the front wheel assist propeller shaft seal or transmission input seal. If it is motor oil then it will be the rear main seal on the engine.

It will likely require to be split in order to fix the issue.

Personally i would leave it alone until it gets really bad because it is an expensive repair. If you do the repair yourself, make sure you have help. Saves a lot of frustration!!

Hope this helps.
Thanks. Your response does help. Searching 'clutch bell housing drain' took me to past thread with other useful info.
I'm going to check it again, but I really believe the leaked fluid to be UDT. And this makes sense as it's UDT that needs added periodically.

One thing I find irritating is the method of measuring the trans/hydraulic fluid... I can only "eyeball" the fluid level through a 'level window'. But the tractors normal level of UDT is 10 gallon. Seems there are a lot of variables in the accuracy of this measurement. I prefer a dipstick.

My next step is determining how much fluid the tractor is leaking while sitting. I also need to know how much it loses while running... This will help with determining next steps.

Thanks for your response. Very helpful.

loggin

Equipment
MX4700
Sep 4, 2021
canada
Thanks. Your response does help. Searching 'clutch bell housing drain' took me to past thread with other useful info.
I'm going to check it again, but I really believe the leaked fluid to be UDT. And this makes sense as it's UDT that needs added periodically.

One thing I find irritating is the method of measuring the trans/hydraulic fluid... I can only "eyeball" the fluid level through a 'level window'. But the tractors normal level of UDT is 10 gallon. Seems there are a lot of variables in the accuracy of this measurement. I prefer a dipstick.

My next step is determining how much fluid the tractor is leaking while sitting. I also need to know how much it loses while running... This will help with determining next steps.

Thanks for your response. Very helpful.
Yeah, I agree. That little window is pitiful!! And the bubble that gets trapped in there doesn't help either. What I have done is used a dipstick from another machine and put it down the fill opening at the top of the 3 point hitch case. I believe your fill location is the same or similar to mine. Once you have dipped the stick in, make a mark on the dipstick at the opening to reference from, pull it out and line up the mark at the opening on the outside of the case and you will get a better idea of where the fluid level is at.

Hope this helps!!