L4150DT Power Steering Quit

CiscoRanger

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4150DT / BF900
Oct 3, 2022
Texas
Happy Easter, boys and girls,

I've been meaning to get around to this for a little while...As some of you know about a year and a half ago, I came home with an abandoned and neglected L4150, and went through a number of repairs on it...that thread is here: https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/threads/l4150-repair-restore.60035/

Some of the earliest posts in that thread I noted that the power steering would steer hard one way, as soon as you started the tractor up. As I was working on it over that year, the power steering started acting normally - on it's own, I didnt mess with the P/S at all. Then, a couple of months ago, it quit all together.

So here I am looking for a little direction on this. I cracked open the service manual and read all about it in the general section, and also aboutit in the maintenance section. There doesn't seem to be a lot to it. An independent reservoir, a pump, a hydraulic steering gear assembly, and the associated lines between the two.

Unfortunately, the very first troubleshooting step is to test the pump with a flow meter and special connectors from kubota. Surprisingly, I do not own that special tool, or the special connectors.

Question #1 - Is there a shadetree mechanic way to test the pump, without the specific flowmeter? Such as "pull the pressure line off and if it shoots 10 feet over the fully raised bucket, you're good on the pump?"

Question #2 - Is there some "This happens to all these tractors, and this is what it is" secret jedi thing I should check even before that, like a stuck open relief valve that needs to be replaced?

Question #3 - The pump appears to be fairly new, just like the hydraulic TPH pump is new, and was replaced by the Prev Owner before letting it sit for years. Also looks easy to rebuild if that's what it was, but for the life of me find the pump parts on the Messicks diagrams. Any idea what I'm doing wrong here?

Question #4 - This cirulating ball (or whatever) style P/S gear box. Is it rebuildable by a non-professional? A replacement shows to be $3100.

I appreciate you guys, as always, and hope everyone is doing great. Gonna tag a few of the homies that helped me through the restore...

@North Idaho Wolfman - Yoda Himself
@TheOldHokie - The galactic wizard and gran poopah of all things hydraulic
@Nicksacco - The creative electrician
@PoTreeBoy - Who poured over transmission manuals with me
@rbargeron - Who probably loves this tractor more than I do. :)

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

I've been meaning to get around to this for a little while...As some of you know about a year and a half ago, I came home with an abandoned and neglected L4150, and went through a number of repairs on it...that thread is here: https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/threads/l4150-repair-restore.60035/

Some of the earliest posts in that thread I noted that the power steering would steer hard one way, as soon as you started the tractor up. As I was working on it over that year, the power steering started acting normally - on it's own, I didnt mess with the P/S at all. Then, a couple of months ago, it quit all together.

So here I am looking for a little direction on this. I cracked open the service manual and read all about it in the general section, and also aboutit in the maintenance section. There doesn't seem to be a lot to it. An independent reservoir, a pump, a hydraulic steering gear assembly, and the associated lines between the two.

Unfortunately, the very first troubleshooting step is to test the pump with a flow meter and special connectors from kubota. Surprisingly, I do not own that special tool, or the special connectors.

Question #1 - Is there a shadetree mechanic way to test the pump, without the specific flowmeter? Such as "pull the pressure line off and if it shoots 10 feet over the fully raised bucket, you're good on the pump?"

Question #2 - Is there some "This happens to all these tractors, and this is what it is" secret jedi thing I should check even before that, like a stuck open relief valve that needs to be replaced?

Question #3 - The pump appears to be fairly new, just like the hydraulic TPH pump is new, and was replaced by the Prev Owner before letting it sit for years. Also looks easy to rebuild if that's what it was, but for the life of me find the pump parts on the Messicks diagrams. Any idea what I'm doing wrong here?

Question #4 - This cirulating ball (or whatever) style P/S gear box. Is it rebuildable by a non-professional? A replacement shows to be $3100.

I appreciate you guys, as always, and hope everyone is doing great. Gonna tag a few of the homies that helped me through the restore...

You should not need a flowmeter to test the pump. A pressure gauge should be sufficient but if steering works fine in one direction but not the other I would suspect the steering valve not the pump.

EDIT

Should have read a little more carefully. If its completely dead pull the pressure line off and use a bucket to look for flow. If you have flow check pressure. If you have flow and pressure coming to the steering valve the problem is not in the pump.

Dan

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
Hi Cisco!
Happy Easter to you too.

A couple things I'll add to Dan's thought is to also check fluid level and check for suction leaks in the path from tank to pump (as long as you're checking things.)

CiscoRanger

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4150DT / BF900
Oct 3, 2022
Texas
You should not need a flowmeter to test the pump. A pressure gauge should be sufficient but if steering works fine in one direction but not the other I would suspect the steering valve not the pump.

EDIT

Should have read a little more carefully. If its completely dead pull the pressure line off and use a bucket to look for flow. If you have flow check pressure. If you have flow and pressure coming to the steering valve the problem is not in the pump.

Dan

Thanks guys. Some more clarity.

Steering does not work at all anymore.
I'll remove the pressure connector at the pump and check flow. The pressure line is a hardline with banjo connector on one end and the kubota round 3 bolt o-ring connector at the pump so I’m not sure how I’d check pressure on that. Is there a good way?

1711934104991.png

@Nicksacco Its full of fluid, but thats a good idea about checking supply hose for suction leaks.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Happy Easter 🐰! I think you could get an adequate pump test by loosening the discharge line (make sure the spray won't hit you). When the steering hits some resistance, you should get pretty good pressure, up to 2000 psi.

I'll just add that this system is not like the hydrostatic systems on most/all more recent Kubotas.

If you jack up the front end to take the load off, with the engine off does it steer reasonably easily and equally in both directions? If the pump checks out, I suspect you're looking at removal and overhaul. It could just be trash in a valve passage, I'd guess.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

I would start with clamping off the return line to the tank (Blue).
Disconnect that hose from the output of the steering unit.
Then add a new line (Red) that you could put into a bucket, secure it into the bucket so flow will not force it out.
Then start it and see flow, if you have good flow then the pumps working.

1711939164880.png

Next I would pull the pressure relief valve out and check it for anything out of the ordinary.
Before you remove it document the length of the adjustment.

1711939297809.png

Next I would be checking my wallet / bank account to see if this is an option.

It's not looking good for steering rebuild parts, looks like most parts are discontinued and no longer available.
So a DYI repair is going to be really tough.

I would carefully disassemble the unit and you might get lucky and find a single parts that might be able to be crossed over to generic parts.

One other outside the box fix if all else fails is to change it to hydrostatic steering.

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
This may be old news but in 2020 somebody here asked @007kubotaguy whether he had received "that L4150" that he was expecting to get - dunno if he got one or has any steering parts but its worth an ask......

And to Cisco Ranger - no doubt about it - I'm still a major fan of the L3's - Take care, Dick B.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
Another thought; You didn't mention anything about fluid other than it was full - e.g. no leaking or anything.
So fluid's got to be going somewhere eh? Or not. I'm thinking pump is not putting out pressure or pressure going right past the relief valve.

I can't wait to hear! :D Hopefully not something too expensive!

Last edited:

CiscoRanger

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4150DT / BF900
Oct 3, 2022
Texas
Thanks guys. I'll do a return hose flow check as soon as possible and go from there. I appreciate all the input, as always. 🙏

🤠