PUTER GEEKS

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Ok guys you all know what Im like with these things. Anyways, this morning I turn on this thing and I have a blank screen, and some kind of scan I have never seen before is on the screen.
Fixing (C:) stage 1/2 70% Total ( 1xxxxxx - 170xxxx ) Total 63% ETA 0:2:14 Then it says scanning & Repair Drive C (xx%)
Anybody have any ideas? Has this thing come south or fallen in to the hands of the enemy ?

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
AI is wonderful.........

If you see a black screen with a Windows logo and a message saying “Fixing (C:) Stage 1” when you boot the Windows PC, it means your system is checking for disk error. It will detect hard drive issues and fix them during the process, which usually takes a long time to finish. And sometimes the process even gets stuck at a certain percentage. That will really bother you a lot.

The following are some possible factors that can lead to the Fixing (C:) Stage 1 screen:

• Improper shutdown
  • Power failure
  • Corrupted or old hard drive
  • Heavy-loaded junk files on the hard drive
Once the message comes out, you have to stop the checking process, or it will show up whenever you start your computer. So, how to stop Fixing (C:) Stage 1? You can have a look at the guide below.

Reactions: 1 users

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
B2601 with Fel and Bh70 backhoe
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Consider researching an IPad Skeet’s. I know, this subject has probably been argued many times. I got tired of that crap your describing thru many versions of windows. Thought I would try an Ipad. I love it. Little learning curve at first. Always starts quickly. Updates are usually quick and easy. In short, it always works. Will never go back to Windows. Wife still uses a windows laptop. I just used it yesterday to try to find an old photo. Well, made me glad I don’t use that damn thing. Just FWIW, and only my humble opinion…

edit….and I switched my elderly mother from a windows laptop to an iPad and she can work it fairly well!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
GSD-Keegan said it exactly! A day or two of frustration learning the differences…..BUT… Well Worth It!

And no hard drive to fail or give trouble… Endless cheap storage on the cloud.

Last edited:

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
Depends how old skeets 'puter is...

sometimes you just need to bring it out back and put a bullet through it.

We just replaced 2 laptops ... They were so old that I could not upgrade and windows dropped support. probably over 10 years old....

They were slower than snail crap..... at a certain point it's not worth it to try to add RAM or find a go-around to install modern upgrades.

New machines are pretty affordable these days.

try newegg.com
Costco
or bestbuy

Reactions: 1 users

wp6529

Equipment
B7100DT
Oct 31, 2023
TX
Depends how old skeets 'puter is...

sometimes you just need to bring it out back and put a bullet through it.

We just replaced 2 laptops ... They were so old that I could not upgrade and windows dropped support. probably over 10 years old....

They were slower than snail crap..... at a certain point it's not worth it to try to add RAM or find a go-around to install modern upgrades.

New machines are pretty affordable these days.

try newegg.com
Costco
or bestbuy
Your 10yo laptops were fine, it was the bloated Windoze that was slow. Load the old laptops with one of the many Linux variants (I suggest Centos) and you will find the current Linux GUIs closely resemble the Windoze / Apple GUIs with better performance.

Dustball

Equipment
2016 B2650HSDC
Sep 15, 2023
Hudson, WI
Start backing up your files if you haven't already. This may be a warning sign that your drive is failing.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I'm kinda curious as to when was the last time the OP actually defragged his harddrive, cleared out his 'cookies' file, deleted the *.tmp files, removed programs(er, 'apps' these dayze ), alternate language files, etc. ?
There's a LOT you CAN do to make any Windows based machine run 'fast' again....

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I do a V scan and defrag every Sunday morning, and clear all old Emails

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
Thanks guys, maybe just look for a new one
also,

personally I am anti-cloud.... I keep all my pictures and important stuff on a small USB plug in external drive.

so if the laptop DOES die for any reason... I still have all my naked lady pictures....

I also like Malewarebytes protection service....

I have it on my phone and laptops.

IT IS a pay service..... but for my it's worth it.

knock on a clam shell, I haven't had any viruses or bad stuff happen.

It will also warn and block you if you venture off to an unsafe website.

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
couple other random thoughts..... my garage wifi signal is kinda spotty...... So I ran a cat-5 cable out there and plug in directly to the 'puter. its a faster connection..... and somehow I feel it's safer too.

laptops with an ethernet port are rare these days..... but they still have them... just make sure it's there before buying.

same with CD/DVD drives....... a lot of new ones dont have it.

shop around.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
same here,ran CAT5 to garage to XP machine playing music. It's usually not connected to internet.
generally speaking, hardwired will always be faster due to the 'extra stuff' that has to happen to go 'over the air'.
Heck 4 of my laptops don't have Ethernet ports ! They do have 25 pin Centronic printer ports, real RS-232 and a barcode reader port.