Speaking of Phones

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Years ago I was on an F150 forum and asked about how to do something and a guy told me to use my Smart Phone to accomplish my goal. I said I didn't have a Smart Phone and he said to get one and it would change my life. No truer words were spoken, can't believe how it has changed my everyday life. Banking, investing, communicating, etc. etc. Knowledge at the tip of your fingers in real time, most of my usage is on the internet and not necessarily with the carrier.

Reactions: 1 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
My smartphone has a smartmouth! I asked it a question, and it replied, did I graduate from the school for dummies? I got even with that little twerp and crushed it under the heel of my boot. Before I realized it, I was surrounded by a swat team pointing guns at me. That little twerp dialed 911 and gave the location and told the dispatcher that he was under attack by a maniac. I always had the feeling that smartphones were going to be the bane of society as we used to know it.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
The hours wasted and time with family lost using the phone is unbelievable.
If you have a employee(s) the hours wasted per week texting is astronomical.
One person sending a useless text costs the employer lost time and productivity.
It's really the downfall of society.
We dropped the big one and won WWII but in the end. Japan has won the ultimate war with technology and year by year addicted Americans and ruined our workforce one cell phone at a time.

Reactions: 3 users

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
I'm surprised that my "smart phone" has not followed the demise of the 2 previous flip phones which were pounded against a brick wall, in hopes to make it work better.... Time will tell...

Luckily the flip phones were "work" phones that did not worked as I liked... the new smart phone, on the other hand, is on my dime!!!!

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
It's ok. There was an outage today to make up for some of the time people were using phones. ;)

Reactions: 2 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Just a taste of things to come , maybe

Reactions: 1 users

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
One person sending a useless text costs the employer lost time and productivity.
I think "social media" is more to blame than the actual device.

There are still many people who keep texting/internet use to a minimum.

sometimes I will go out with the wife and not even take the phone.

she has hers in her purse on silent.

Or if I'm in the garage working on stuff, I just shut it off.
Don't bother me.

I've been to a few workplaces where phones are strictly banned.

It's a shock to mostly the younger generation.... usually it's in their hand 24/7

It's definitely an epidemic.

I see kids in the back seat of the car at a very young age playing on a phone... while the parents are driving and texting.... we are doomed.

phones allowed in schools.... it's a joke.

ok I'm out...... I could ramble on forever....

Reactions: 3 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
crew next door building a million dollar house(small here...) ,needs a crew of 5 to do the work of 3, cause 2 are on the phones all the time ! then people wonder why stuff costs so much !!??
I don't own either a cell phone or a smart device and landline in garage is usually unplugged.
Had 13 of wife's family for Xmas dindin, usually 4-5 on their phones TWO during the actual meal...sigh. I ate and kept silent (I know better....) oh well.....
Going to love when the big EMP hits !!! Should be a sunspot year ??

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
We dropped the big one and won WWII but in the end. Japan has won the ultimate war with technology and year by year addicted Americans and ruined our workforce one cell phone at a time.
My SO lives with her phone in her hand.
I am 83, she is 78!
Talks to me when she has spare time.
If I don't immediately respond to a text, she gets perturbed.
Just how did this all happen?

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Smart phones were an asset in my last job. Instant communication and pictures with vendors across the country. A big help to shorten tool down time. Critical on the run process changes could be sent in real time. For me, I carried a company cell phone 24/7. If it rang on the off shift I got paid to answer. More than a five minute conversation was fours OT pay. Call me in and the clock started from phone pickup including all travel time. I made a lot of money from that.
If you wanted to play games and text you would find yourself either without a phone or without a job.
Local high school has small storage pockets at the door to each class. As you enter you drop off your phone. At least one teacher has a policy of "if your phone rings in your pocket you get a zero for the day."
As with any other technology it can be controlled or used and abused.
I love my phone but I do know when to turn it off.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
You're one in a million, everyone I know doesn't KNOW there's an 'off' button !!;)

One company (big) I worked for, decided I should wear a pager( yes, that long ago...) ,my ONLY compensation , is IF I was called AND went into the plant,I'd be paid, 4hrs flat. Fix it over the phone, nada, get a bit for wearing the pager, nada. One night at the local watering hole, an interesting discussion started..about the 'quality' of pagers...one test was conducted at the bar... will a pager work after it's dropped into a beer ? we found out the answer was no AND bonus, I no longer had to carry a pager.

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
I worked for a Japanese auto company in R&D until I retired. Cell phone usage in the lab area was OK in certain areas. No pictures were allowed from cell phones. You had to check out an approved camera from security to take pictures.
In the R&D center in Japan where test vehicles were built, you could use you cell phone, but they had to put a drill bit through the camera first. Probably most people checked them into a locker.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Since I retired, I have done some side jobs.

At one company, the cell phone was considered a spy cam by the large company. I mean it is a BIG company. You have stuff in your house with their name on it. I'm sure. Think tape.

Anyway. All employee's other than management, had to leave our cell phone home or in our locker. Or get fired and possibly prosecuted.

At my current side job, my cell phone is required. 24/7. It's my life. I'm on call 24/7 and I don't bill them for after hours or weekends because my normal fare, is well, quite fair. And agreed to. I read company emails, texts, etc, etc. 24/7.

Sadly, overall, cell phones are our lives. I miss the 70's and 80's.

Last edited:

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I'm always saying I wish they would make a 'bigger' cell phone. On one trip to Alaska we were at a pull off south of Anchorage, turn again arm I think it's called. Anyway my daughter was out of the motor home with her tablet snapping pictures, a car had pulled into the parking lot at the other end and was driving slowly in our direction I said to my daughter give me yiur tablet and see if theses people look when they go by, I put the tablet to my ear and justering with my hand as I was having a conversation on my 'large' cell phone, my daughter bursts out laughing and heads for the camper unable to catch her breath....I slowly followed her to hear
Dad their faces were plasted to the windows and mouths wide open....lol.
I just wish they'd make a larger phone.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I'm always saying I wish they would make a 'bigger' cell phone. On one trip to Alaska we were at a pull off south of Anchorage, turn again arm I think it's called. Anyway my daughter was out of the motor home with her tablet snapping pictures, a car had pulled into the parking lot at the other end and was driving slowly in our direction I said to my daughter give me yiur tablet and see if theses people look when they go by, I put the tablet to my ear and justering with my hand as I was having a conversation on my 'large' cell phone, my daughter bursts out laughing and heads for the camper unable to catch her breath....I slowly followed her to hear
Dad their faces were plasted to the windows and mouths wide open....lol.
I just wish they'd make a larger phone.
Turnigan Arm

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I find my cell phone very useful, along with my iPad and my computers.

I think the most important thing to me is that I’m able to keep in touch with my daughters (son in laws too) and my grandkids in a way that I was never able to keep in touch with my parents or grandparents.

Just a short note, now and then, and a few longer ones if there’s something to say or talk about. Or more when needed.

It’s so easy to communicate with family. I think that’s a positive.

Of course, the negative is when I visit personally, and they often have their noses stuck in their phones, rather than their faces pointed at me!😂😂😂

So I guess there are positives and negatives about the whole thing…

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I guess, tons of people went off the deep end went the phones quit working. LIke they just lost their puppy

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
I guess, tons of people went off the deep end went the phones quit working. LIke they just lost their puppy
The Twilight Zone had a episode in the 60's that proved this out.

Botamon

Equipment
M7060HDC12, John Deere 2020 diesel
Mar 26, 2018
Winnemucca, Nevada
Like everything else, YOU have to decide whether the gadget controls you or you control it.

I've had a smart phone for years now. On average I make 1 or 2 calls a week on it, and receive about that many. Same with texts. Phone spends most of its time idle, in a phone case, in my kitchen or in whatever vehicle I'm in. I do keep it around my location because I'm part of the local Sheriff's Search and Rescue unit and they do their callouts through the phone system.