BX2350 and Cat0 Implements (smoothing a field)

fmjnax

Equipment
2008 BX2350
Jun 6, 2023
East Texas
Hey everyone,

I'm a new tractor owner, having picked up my used BX2350 (came with a brush cutter) last season. I've been learning the ins and outs of the tractor, using the bucket and the cutter to improve the homestead. I feel fairly confident with it now but I want to get a bit more efficient.

I have 4 aces of sandy loam "pasture" that needs to be worked. It's heavily rutted and rough. All of the vegetation is unwanted (brambles, weeds, etc). Nothing really useable and the wife wants to eventually put some livestock on it. I have to mow it at an extremely slow pace to keep myself and the tractor together. I've been chipping away at trying to smooth it with the bucket, knocking down mounds, filling ruts, and backdragging to smooth it out.

A neighbor saw me out doing this one day and offered to sell me a few category 0 implements that he no longer uses for $250. He said he has a disc, box blade, buster, and rake. I know my BX is a category 1 hitch. I also know I can get pin sleeves and do some minor modifications to be able to use the implements. I also know I would have to work cautiously to where I don't power through something and pretzel the implement (and I can do iron work to repair them if I ever need to).

The question I have is will it actually be worth my time to fool with the cat0'? My thought was that it has to be better than what I'm doing now. So take him up on his offer and use the cat0 implements for as long as I can and then augment/replace the fleet with cat1 implements as I can, but I wanted to get some experienced thoughts on it first.

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
For the price you really can't go wrong.
A few pin changes and or bushings and they should hook up.
You might need to get a longer top link.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
go for it !!!
only need cat0 to cat1 bushings(or pieces of water pipe.....)
being smaller allow YOU time to figure out HOW stuff works, less chance for damage
I'd practice with the disc first, to prep for a veggie garden.After all only 25 days until Spring !!

Soopitup

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
Cat 0 is smaller than Cat 1, correct?
My understanding is Cat 0 is geared towards lawn/garden tractors?
Are they going to be large enough to make any difference, considering what needs to be done?
Are they beefy enough to not be constantly broken by the mighty BX, considering the work you're expecting from them?

Personally, I avoid buying things that will only get me halfway there. I prefer to save for the right tool for the job, if you will.
Those seem to be cheap enough it's borderline. I would definitely ponder if that $250 might be better put towards a larger implement.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
I've got a BRINLY 10" cat) plow and it's GREAT behind my old Sear ST12 garden tractor power with an 'offshore' 9HP engine. Won't win any land speed record but folds sod all day long,one furrow at a time.
You can break ANYTHING if you ABUSE it,like finding sand on a corner of a road on a 450-4.....sigh doc only saw the busted collar bone, never SAW my TWO collapsed discs.....

fmjnax

Equipment
2008 BX2350
Jun 6, 2023
East Texas
Thank you everyone for your input. I'll go take a look at his implements and if they look ok I'll give 'em a whirl.

soopitup, I typically agree with your statement. But in this case, I'm more in-line with Jay's thoughts. I bought this little BX for cheap in non-running condition so that I could learn, quite intricately, how the thing operates, how to maintain/fix it, and not feel like crying when I inevitably messed something up while learning to run it [such as blowing the front drive shaft... multiple times :)].

• Haha

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
Have a few cat 0 attachments for my BX1880. Ordered the bushing and they work fine now. Also have a 3 point quick attachment and the bushings work fine. Go for it.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
Might not be enough 'meat' to allow the bigger CAT1 pins to be bolted on.
I think I used electrical EMT conduit to make bushings to run some CAT0 implements with CAT1 tractor.