Sidekick RTV-XG850 backfiring / loss of power

#40Fan

Jul 21, 2022
USA
Sucks for sure and I'm willing to be a re-ring would fix the problem.

BTW, found your YouTube channel expecting to find a video on it. You have a beautiful place!

Reactions: 1 users

Sidekick

Equipment
Sidekick 850, BX3260, Z726XKW-3-60
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
Sucks for sure and I'm willing to be a re-ring would fix the problem.

BTW, found your YouTube channel expecting to find a video on it. You have a beautiful place!
Thanks. I do have a video made and ready to post but have been holding back hoping there would be a fix or reply from Kubota. At this point it will be live soon. I have it in the comments area and posted on several other large forums also. I have posted on every sidekick video I find but seems Kubota dealers may be blocking me now. This was supposed to be my dream utv but instead has become a nightmare. I haven't been using any of the Kubota machines in recent videos because I no longer want viewers to think I consider Kubota to be a superior product with good support. May dump everything Kubota if this isn't fixed right. I get emails all the time asking for recommendations and sadly over the years have pushed many to Kubota products. Too old for crap like this. Making me sick and time to move on.
was told they don't want to rip a good running engine apart as it wouldn't change anything.

Reactions: 1 user

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
L305DT, MX 5200, SVL 75-2, (Sold M7060))
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
Thanks. I do have a video made and ready to post but have been holding back hoping there would be a fix or reply from Kubota. At this point it will be live soon. I have it in the comments area and posted on several other large forums also. I have posted on every sidekick video I find but seems Kubota dealers may be blocking me now. This was supposed to be my dream utv but instead has become a nightmare. I haven't been using any of the Kubota machines in recent videos because I no longer want viewers to think I consider Kubota to be a superior product with good support. May dump everything Kubota if this isn't fixed right. I get emails all the time asking for recommendations and sadly over the years have pushed many to Kubota products. Too old for crap like this. Making me sick and time to move on.
was told they don't want to rip a good running engine apart as it wouldn't change anything.
I like this ideal, get a small video crew, bring the UTV down South and blow it up with some tannerite and maybe you get more YT viewers and subscribers to buy you a new RZR or whatever.

Sidekick

Equipment
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
I like this ideal, get a small video crew, bring the UTV down South and blow it up with some tannerite and maybe you get more YT viewers and subscribers to buy you a new RZR or whatever.
That's a stupid idea that doesn't solve anything. I like to wait before posting anything that actually shows to viewers how the average person with the same problem would be treated. posting videos will usually draw special attention and treatment from companies that I really don't think is right. My subscribers are mostly older and just want honest reviews of machinery like this and feedback on customer support. They are also the customers with money to buy items like this for their homesteads. Unlike my grandsons that watch exploding TikTok videos without a penny in their pockets to buy anything. As you probably know companies like Kubota hand out equipment to big channels under contract about what can and can't be be shown so much of what you see can be tainted. I just really want mine fixed but seems like it is at a turning point with Kubota not knowing how to or having diagnostic equipment available to solve the problem. Especially with others being turned away for similar issues.

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
That's a stupid idea that doesn't solve anything. I like to wait before posting anything that actually shows to viewers how the average person with the same problem would be treated. posting videos will usually draw special attention and treatment from companies that I really don't think is right. My subscribers are mostly older and just want honest reviews of machinery like this and feedback on customer support. They are also the customers with money to buy items like this for their homesteads. Unlike my grandsons that watch exploding TikTok videos without a penny in their pockets to buy anything. As you probably know companies like Kubota hand out equipment to big channels under contract about what can and can't be be shown so much of what you see can be tainted. I just really want mine fixed but seems like it is at a turning point with Kubota not knowing how to or having diagnostic equipment available to solve the problem. Especially with others being turned away for similar issues.
In hind sight, I agree it wouldn't fit your channel very well making it explode.... I'm sure your upcoming video about the problem utv and Kubota will be much better received by your viewers, looking forward to it.

catalyst

Equipment
BX80, RTV-XG850
Sep 30, 2018
St. Clair
Putting around at slow speed, low loads is bad for a new engine. Take catalyst's eninge hours/mile for example. 1000 miles in 400 hours is 2.5 mph average. I'm surprised it made it to 400 hours.

Good luck, guys. Start looking for electric golf carts. :cool: Sounds like they'd be exactly what you need.
An electric cart would not solve my needs. We're maintaining the property with this.

A portion of that 400hrs is also idle time, so that math will never check out.

Drive the kids down the road, wait for bus, drive the kids back. Drive down the road, get mail, drive back. It also says in the owner's manual to let it warm up before taking off on rides so the engine oil properly warms up and flows.

Either way... 900 miles and 400 hours are both below the standard warranty usage for this machine. If it was with in the timeframe of the warranty period, it would still be a premature failure.

Sidekick

Equipment
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
Well yesterday was a beautiful day and I decided to put it out by the road with a for sale sign as I had it out to move stuff out to sweep up the barn. A couple hours later a car pulls in my driveway and the guy is looking at it. Turned out a friend saw it while driving by and called him. He was from about 30 miles away over by Waterloo and getting ready to buy a new one his dealer had in stock. After seeing all the extras plus sales tax savings, he wanted it. Then he asked why I was selling it with such low hours. Well I told him the problem they have when used on smaller homesteads and said they need to run 1/2 hour every time or there will be problems. Well his face dropped and told me his dealer said nothing about that and he had about 12 acres to use it on like me. Well I didn't sell it but it appears I saved Kubota from having another unhappy customer. Actually I found out that with all the extras mine will definitely be worth it for the right buyer with a big property from the price he was quoted for a stripped down one. Surprised that dealers still don't mention this issue to people considering them.

I know this is a Kubota forum but does any one have feedback on the CK 2620 Kioti tractors

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: Surprised that dealers still don't mention this issue to people considering them.

really ? WHY would a seller point out a defect that'd kill the sale ? I understand these things are 20-30K?, be a nice sale for any dealer !

what's impressive is that YOU, an honest person, told the guy about the problem. sadly it may be hard to sell the 'lemon'

Sidekick

Equipment
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
re: Surprised that dealers still don't mention this issue to people considering them.

really ? WHY would a seller point out a defect that'd kill the sale ? I understand these things are 20-30K?, be a nice sale for any dealer !

what's impressive is that YOU, an honest person, told the guy about the problem. sadly it may be hard to sell the 'lemon'
He originally said he had a big property to maintain, so I thought he may be in the classification that Kubota meant and perfect for him. Turns out everyone has their idea of what big is. If someone asks you you have to tell the truth. Kubota has also said there's nothing wrong with it other then short tripping so I am stuck in the middle. There are a couple of months of warranty left and a large property with no short trips Kubota would have to do something if it continued to see contamination.

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
He originally said he had a big property to maintain, so I thought he may be in the classification that Kubota meant and perfect for him. Turns out everyone has their idea of what big is. If someone asks you you have to tell the truth. Kubota has also said there's nothing wrong with it other then short tripping so I am stuck in the middle. There are a couple of months of warranty left and a large property with no short trips Kubota would have to do something if it continued to see contamination.
Damn…all I would be doing is “short tripping” if I owned a UTV. Hell, what about other makes? Do they fail from short tripping as well? Thinking about Kawasaki Mule and also CFMoto units.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Damn…all I would be doing is “short tripping” if I owned a UTV. Hell, what about other makes? Do they fail from short tripping as well? Thinking about Kawasaki Mule and also CFMoto units.
I have zero issues with short tripping in my Can-am, taking out the garbage or just running across the field to a stand. Zero bars on the Temp guage. Going on 10 years of running them as well.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
me too... and 'short tripping', is there really a solid, 'legal' definition of that? I've seen 5-10, 10-20 MINUTES,up to operating temperature(whatever THAT is ! ), then there summer vs winter. Heck without Winter 'shades' to reduce air flow,my gasser tractor wouldn't reach 'operating temperature' for HOURS...
My BX23S, with 1/2 the rad blocked off take 15-30 to get 'warmish' on cold days.....

BTW of 'short tripping' IS bad, the very FIRST paragraph in the Owners manual,under 'How to Operate' and ' How to start' sections, in BIG, BOLD print should be what is 'short tripping and how to avoid short tripping.

Sidekick

Equipment
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
I have 2 friends with Polaris side by sides and one with a Kawasaki mule that have no problem from the exact same use as me. It appears to be an issue popping up with the sidekicks that Kubota has coined a new term for to avoid addressing. Appears to be poor fuel management on a high compression engine without a history behind it. I totally agree that it should be presented on the front of the sales literature to warn those like me with smaller properties. Just so sad to see one blow up at such low hours and look at the oil analysis of mine at 20 hours. Then Kubota just ignoring the issue thinking it will go away on it's own really has turned me off to investing anymore in Kubota products. I wonder if Kubota really wants to be in this market or they just put out teasers to test the water without much investment.

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
I have 2 friends with Polaris side by sides and one with a Kawasaki mule that have no problem from the exact same use as me. It appears to be an issue popping up with the sidekicks that Kubota has coined a new term for to avoid addressing. Appears to be poor fuel management on a high compression engine without a history behind it. I totally agree that it should be presented on the front of the sales literature to warn those like me with smaller properties. Just so sad to see one blow up at such low hours and look at the oil analysis of mine at 20 hours. Then Kubota just ignoring the issue thinking it will go away on it's own really has turned me off to investing anymore in Kubota products. I wonder if Kubota really wants to be in this market or they just put out teasers to test the water without much investment.
Sounds like you got eaten up by the Kubota machine. Very bad customer service. If I owned the dealership you bought from, I would have my mechanics fix your problem free of charge. It just isn’t right to treat a customer this way. 😡

Sidekick

Equipment
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
Sounds like you got eaten up by the Kubota machine. Very bad customer service. If I owned the dealership you bought from, I would have my mechanics fix your problem free of charge. It just isn’t right to treat a customer this way. 😡
I was told there is no fix and even a replacement engine would have the same problem without running it 20 to 30 minutes every start. Even Kubota initially denied a warranty claim saying it is normal for this engine to see oil contamination. They had it almost 10 weeks and came back the same. I tried contacting Kubota and they say everything must go through the dealer. The dealer says Kubota won't approve anything and there is no way to debug something like this without swapping parts. Just so aggravating for a company to blame defects on the buyers as we are seeing. It would be a great machine with a reliable engine.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
Has anyone got access to the TIB info I posted in #196 ? Now it'll probably be a Canadian TIB, if that matters.

Sidekick

Equipment
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
Has anyone got access to the TIB info I posted in #196 ? Now it'll probably be a Canadian TIB, if that matters.
I couldn't find anything about it. If it has something to do with this issue my dealer and the Kubota rep would have had access to it when it was in his shop 10 weeks, or when Kubota reviewed the OPs claim, or when the fellow west of me had the issue. I wonder if that may be when the term short tripping was implemented. Only public recall is the steering issue and all other bulletins Kubota issues seem to be hidden. maybe we have someone from Kubota on here that could find that number and post what it contains. I would think Canada and the US have the same service bulletins.

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
That might be the answer. Just run straight STP, if they even still sell it.
I would change out plugs to a hotter spark plugs and definitely a thicker oil. I use premium fuel in all the small gas equipment. And all my small equipment motors all run synthetic mobil one 20w 50 oil, except the Honda pressure washer, and the newer Mule.

But if it's crap motor, only so much can be done to it, if it's a failed design from the get go.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I couldn't find anything about it. If it has something to do with this issue my dealer and the Kubota rep would have had access to it when it was in his shop 10 weeks, or when Kubota reviewed the OPs claim, or when the fellow west of me had the issue. I wonder if that may be when the term short tripping was implemented. Only public recall is the steering issue and all other bulletins Kubota issues seem to be hidden. maybe we have someone from Kubota on here that could find that number and post what it contains. I would think Canada and the US have the same service bulletins.
There are no PSBS relating to the engine in the RTV-XG850 listed on Kubota Link.

Sidekick

Equipment
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
There are no PSBS relating to the engine in the RTV-XG850 listed on Kubota Link.
Thank you for checking that. I was told it is normal for this engine to see contamination when short tripped and it must be run at least 20 minutes to warm after each start. It is my fault for short tripping.