Kubota Tach cable

pinkerpv

Equipment
3800, rtv1140CPX
Jul 13, 2016
MADISON, ALABAMA, USA
I have an L3800 4 wh drive manual trans tractor. The Tach cable broke. Ordered a new one from Kubota dealer. When I tried to install it the fitting for the engine would screw on for a few threads then come loose. The old cable fitting would screw on easily. The fittings are different outside dimensions but same inside. Kubota parts dealer said the original part number was replaced with a new part number, the one I received. He ordered a new cable.

Anyone had similar trouble? How did you fix it?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
if it was mine, I'd haul the tractor and cable to dealer, get him to install it. After all HE ordered the cable.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I think you’ve done the correct thing…. have the dealer replace it with another re-ordered part… (and be certain you’re not charged TWICE).

It’s not unheard-of to receive Brand New Parts which are defective… in ANY industry.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Could be that one end fits the tachometer and the other fits the tractor.

That would be an odd arrangement so is probably not the case but it could be the cause of your problem.

pinkerpv

Equipment
3800, rtv1140CPX
Jul 13, 2016
MADISON, ALABAMA, USA
if it was mine, I'd haul the tractor and cable to dealer, get him to install it. After all HE ordered the cable.
Well, the dealer is 50 miles away and would charge me labor. Don't really want to load the tractor on my trailer, haul it 50 miles, download it, wait a week and then drive back with the trailer, load it up and drive 50 miles back. I am in the area every Monday for a college level class i teach so I can get the part. Just don't want to haul the tractor in and pay labor.I think I can ask one of the mechanics next time I'm in the location and get some advice on the procedure if the part was correct.

pinkerpv

Equipment
3800, rtv1140CPX
Jul 13, 2016
MADISON, ALABAMA, USA
Could be that one end fits the tachometer and the other fits the tractor.

That would be an odd arrangement so is probably not the case but it could be the cause of your problem.
The tachometer end connector is smaller than the Engine connector. No way to get them cross connected. My guess is that its a bad part, or the parts catalog misidentifies this part for my tractor or Kubota cut a few corners in making this cable fit more than one tractor. When looked up in the internet, there are multiple tractors for this part number and none of them are mine. The parts clerk acknowledged the original part number was replaced by this new one.

Not sure they even sell my model tractor anymore. The parts clerk said he didn't think they had one on their lot.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
These are the right part Numbers.
They are backward compatible so any number will work.
Newest to oldest numbers:

TC415-34650
TC420-34653
TC420-34652
TC420-34650

If it's any other part number it's the wrong cable.

Sammy3700

Equipment
L3800HST,524Loader,BH77,Landplane,Disk,Mowers and more
Feb 20, 2012
Red Springs, NC
I have replaced that cable on both my L3800 HST at different times my dealer stated last time I was in they had updated it because of failure I bought a spare because of distance to the dealer hope the spare is correct my buddy has a L3200 that is broken and I gave him my spare his is on order and 2 weeks out

pinkerpv

Equipment
3800, rtv1140CPX
Jul 13, 2016
MADISON, ALABAMA, USA
These are the right part Numbers.
They are backward compatible so any number will work.
Newest to oldest numbers:

TC415-34650
TC420-34653
TC420-34652
TC420-34650

If it's any other part number it's the wrong cable.
The part number on the plastic bag the cable is in is TC415-34650. The cable is a little over 1 inch longer than the old cable. The two cable connectors openings to the engine mic to within a few thousandths of each other. I have not yet checked the threads. To the naked eye the threads look the same. Tomorrow I will check thread pitch. Something is wrong with the new cable. The old cable connector fits snug.

Last edited:

pinkerpv

Equipment
3800, rtv1140CPX
Jul 13, 2016
MADISON, ALABAMA, USA
I have replaced that cable on both my L3800 HST at different times my dealer stated last time I was in they had updated it because of failure I bought a spare because of distance to the dealer hope the spare is correct my buddy has a L3200 that is broken and I gave him my spare his is on order and 2 weeks out
My tractor is a manual 4 speed 4 wh drive. The cable for the HST is supposed to be the same as the DT. Do you know for sure if the cable fit the L3200 snugly. Can you ask you buddy how it fit?

My tractor has almost 900 hours. Cable just broke recently.

pinkerpv

Equipment
3800, rtv1140CPX
Jul 13, 2016
MADISON, ALABAMA, USA
One thing I was planning on doing was taking the new cable out of the housing and put it into thew old housing. The problem is that the new cable is a little over an inch longer than the old cable.

Workerbee

Equipment
Zd21
Mar 1, 2020
MN
Old time auto and truck mechanics may have a swage to square up the cable if you have to cut it to length. That was a pretty common job 50 years ago.

Reactions: 1 user

pinkerpv

Equipment
3800, rtv1140CPX
Jul 13, 2016
MADISON, ALABAMA, USA
Old time auto and truck mechanics may have a swage to square up the cable if you have to cut it to length. That was a pretty common job 50 years ago.
May try that if no other solution comes about. Tractor dealer has the 2nd new cable in and i will check with them Monday when I make the trip in to the city. will try to talk to a mechanic at the dealer.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
May try that if no other solution comes about. Tractor dealer has the 2nd new cable in and i will check with them Monday when I make the trip in to the city. will try to talk to a mechanic at the dealer.
Take the old cable with you to make sure they are the same.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The engine side cable drive also changed somewhere along in production.
Get the engine serial number before you visit the dealership.
It's stamped on the block, on a flat, facing up, right next to the injection pump.

1708629575574.png

pinkerpv

Equipment
3800, rtv1140CPX
Jul 13, 2016
MADISON, ALABAMA, USA
OK. The solution to the tach cable problem. Took the old cable in to the dealer's parts section. They had ordered a new cable and we compared the two new cables and the old cable. no discernible difference except the new cable was an inch or so longer. I only had the housing for the old cable so we could not compare the actual cable. I had thrown away the old one.

Parts manager suggested that the housing that connects to the engine case might be striped or damaged. That's part no 290 in the drawing above, hour meter And I might need to order that part at $100+. I decided to take the new cable they ordered and try it. It had the same problem, would go on ok for a few threads and then pop off. I then removed the part at the engine, Part 290. Of course it was difficult and no room to get to it, but eventually it came off. Tried the new cable - no work. Then i looked inside the part and saw the part the cable actually connected to. It had a male flat part rather than a female part. That meant the other end of the tach cable would fit there. I had been trying the wrong end of the cable the whole time. The parts manager also. He didn't know either. I had previously tried both ends of the old cable housing and the so called correct end did not want to go on wheras the other end went on easily and fastened down tight. So I thought i had the right end.

So I reinstalled the hour meter part to the engine. and connected the new cable correct ends. Finally everything was connected and I started then engine and The tach worked perfectly.

More than you wanted to know probably. After you work on something and finally find that the solution was simple rather hard like you made it, you feel rather stupid. But I know how to do it if it happens again.