Looking at an L4802 - Any current owners with good or bad experience?

HowardTractor

Equipment
LX2610, B2372, PFL1242, STB10, RCK60-30BB, RB1560, PD10, WC68, RCR1260
Feb 9, 2021
Pennsylvania
I am looking at an L4802 HST (trading in my lx2610). Does anyone have any experience with this machine. Do they like it. Im am looking for something with a bit more power and a bit sturdier. My use is mixed. I use my post hole digger for fences and planting trees. I have been using my bucket and rear bland to maintain a 1/4 mile gravel driveway (although I think I need a box blade). I have some brush hogging that gets done around trees that border the 10 acre property. My forks do all kinds of assorted work. I am always moving dirt and and muck around with the bucket. So definitely mixed utility type uses. I have some fenced in areas with gates that will fit 60 inch implements but not 72.

1. I noticed kubota does not list a hybrid tire option for the 4802. Any idea why? (My current R14s have been great)
2. Is this too big for my 10 acres? They do seem to offer 60 inch implements, but packages favor the 72. The 3902 is a bit smaller but still would be more power and sturdier than my lx)
3. How high is the machine with the rops folded down (current machine in smaller detached garage)?
4. I have never traded in a tractor before, how is that process? Is it worth the convenience over a private sale?

Any advice welcome.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I am looking at an L4802 HST (trading in my lx2610). Does anyone have any experience with this machine. Do they like it. Im am looking for something with a bit more power and a bit sturdier. My use is mixed. I use my post hole digger for fences and planting trees. I have been using my bucket and rear bland to maintain a 1/4 mile gravel driveway (although I think I need a box blade). I have some brush hogging that gets done around trees that border the 10 acre property. My forks do all kinds of assorted work. I am always moving dirt and and muck around with the bucket. So definitely mixed utility type uses. I have some fenced in areas with gates that will fit 60 inch implements but not 72.

1. I noticed kubota does not list a hybrid tire option for the 4802. Any idea why? (My current R14s have been great)
2. Is this too big for my 10 acres? They do seem to offer 60 inch implements, but packages favor the 72. The 3902 is a bit smaller but still would be more power and sturdier than my lx)
3. How high is the machine with the rops folded down (current machine in smaller detached garage)?
4. I have never traded in a tractor before, how is that process? Is it worth the convenience over a private sale?

Any advice welcome.
I am not an L470x owner so maybe of little help(yes, I understood you asked for L4708 owners)…in general I think when upsizing, double what you have is a good rule…incremental upgrades can be hard to see much difference in capabilities. Going from a B to an L will be very distinguishable.

to your questions:
1. No idea.

2. Depends on your uses and how much safe lift capacity you like to have. IMO it’s not too big, if you want that type of capability. (Acreage doesn’t determine how much you need to lift or move) I would actually encourage the MX, if you did not have the 72” width constraint…I am obviously biased😉. The L470x is a good size / value for a big increase in capability from what you have. That is a significant upgrade from your B and there will be no comparison in capabilities…they are different class of machines. All I can say is if you been working a B, I think you will have a lot of fun when you start picking up up big stuff with the L….big difference.
3. No idea.

4. If you know what the fair value of your machine is, then if planning to trade in, find something to bite down on and grab ankles. (If you want fair value or top dollar trade in is not the way to go IMO). If you don’t care how much you sell your current machine for, trade in is quick and easy and painless….it all depends on your expectation.

happy shopping. 🥃

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana

Any advice welcome.
1. Don't know

2. I'd say no, but then again I'd say that an MX6000 wouldn't be too big either, or even an M6060, just depends on your terrain, trees, other obstacles, etc. I won't buy a tractor with less than 4 cylinders these days but that's just my personal preference based on owning a BX, two MXs and an M.

3. I can't help much other than to say that my MX6000 rops model fit in my garage with a standard 7ft high door.

4. I'd sell privately if you want to get as much money as you can. I sold the BX and first MX privately.

For the record, I think you'd like an L4802.

Last edited:

hedgerow

Jan 2, 2015
Malcolm NE
Can't say on the tires. I like the R-4's If your tractor is well kept and nice I wouldn't trade it unless you don't like dealing with people. I have a buddy like that I always buy or sell his stuff for him. I would give the MX series a good look. I don't think a MX6000 would be too big for you.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If you have 10 acres, I can't imagine you have a lot of fence with gates. I'd modify my fence and make for wider gates way before I use that dimension to size a tractor!!

Reactions: 1 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I don’t have a L4802. I do have its predecessor, a L4701. If you’re really limited to 60” you might ought to carefully check the width of a L4802. The rear wheels for mine (with R4’s) have some width options and mine is in next to widest width setting. My 72” wide boxblade barely covers the wheel tracks so it may not be 72” wide but it’s a lot closer to 72” than it is to 60”. I don’t think I’d be happy with them set significantly narrower from the standpoint of both stability and being able to put implements on the 3 point without hitting the tires. I also wouldn’t want a tractor with bucket, grading blades, tiller, etc. that don’t cover the wheel tracks.

This is the rear wheel width options for the L4701. The measurements are center to center. When dealing with a tire over 12” wide, the add needed to get outside to outside measurement isn’t insignificant.

IMG_1900.jpeg

This is mine with a 72” boxblade just for size reference. (No, that’s not me at the controls.)
IMG_5954.jpeg

I’m well aware that’s not a L4802. Maybe they shrunk the L4802 compared to the L4701. Just saying do your due diligence on dimensions if you’re stuck with 60” width. Maybe a 4802 would fit through a 60” gate. A 4701 wouldn’t.

Edit: A 4701 will fit through a 7’ door with ROPs down. Need a 9’ door for ROPs up.

Last edited:

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
I can answer #3.
My MX fits in a normal garage with the rops folded. The wife parks her suburban there normally. So I’d bet a L4802 would fit.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
With that width restriction, you should consider an L3902, I think.
If the gate is the only reason for the width restriction, I’d just redo the fence and install a new gate.

HowardTractor

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
Pennsylvania
OK. I just remeasured both the fence gates and they are larger than I thought. I can get get 72" through with a little wiggle room even including the hinges. Not sure why I was thinking it was smaller, maybe I was thinking of when I squeezed the truck into those areas. So that opens things up and makes the MX look pretty attractive too.

Yotekiller

Equipment
Kubota L2502, LP 60" BB, LP pallet forks, 60" KK Tiller, 55" HSI root grapple
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
Doesn't sound like you have a huge need for high PTO power. Have you considered the L3560? I would prefer the tranny of the grand L before the standard L series, especially considering all the grading you're doing....

HowardTractor

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
Pennsylvania
Doesn't sound like you have a huge need for high PTO power. Have you considered the L3560? I would prefer the tranny of the grand L before the standard L series, especially considering all the grading you're doing....
Interesting. I hadn't given that much thought. Currently, my wood chipper is limited by PTO power. I could chip wider diameter things with more power, but at that point they are good for the fireplace. But traditionally, I haven't needed a bunch of power there. But maybe because I haven't had it. I will look in to the grand L though.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
OK. I just remeasured both the fence gates and they are larger than I thought. I can get get 72" through with a little wiggle room even including the hinges. Not sure why I was thinking it was smaller, maybe I was thinking of when I squeezed the truck into those areas. So that opens things up and makes the MX look pretty attractive too.
Good day.

I have to ask…What truck is 72” or less? (I’d say if a full size truck fits an MX will fit with some margin)

I added a MX a few years ago and kept my B. It’s a significant upgrade and I would do it all over. I would offer you will be threading a needed to roll through a 72” gate with an MX at speed…or any of the similar width large Ls….much less if you have an bucket on the front or implement on the back. As others have suggested bigger gate might help…I think they are shooting you straight. I’d recommend consider if you have any notion to slide the wheels out to widen the stance as well S what implements what you might hand off the back (many of them you may want to cover the tracks?)…so maybe that is a consideration too.

When I was shopping for MX both my spousal unit and I sat on / operated the machines (both cabbed and open station) to see which we preferred…we both drive them…it came down to visibility over the hood for my spousal unit…point being maybe sit on (operate if they let you) and get a feel for visibility over hood/controls…it might change your mind on what you prefer / layout of controls and seating position, etc. if going to spend that much $$, get what you want…fence posts / gates can be adjusted if needed.

I think also price several models, you may be surprised at the price ranges…a few years ago the L2501 and the MXs seemed to be the value models vs the Grand Ls and other models which had more / newer features. If not worried about HST once looking at big L or MX might as well look at an M…you be surprised no so much difference in price for significant difference in capability, if you need or want it. (A good. Comparison of is to look at the weight of the machines and compare the price)

Good luck and happy shopping. 🥃

Last edited: