Can installing a new battery with high cranking amps be good or bad?

plumber mechanic

Equipment
Kubota B8200 with rc60-82h mower deck
Sep 18, 2023
I want to get a new battery for my B8200 Kubota diesel. I am finding there are many cranking amp options available. One option is 936 cranking amps with 750 cold cranking amps. My first thought is the higher the amps the better the diesel engine will start. Then the other side of me worries that maybe too many amps could end up damaging something with the tractor? The old battery now has 560 cranking amps and 420 cold cranking amps. I would like to get a stronger battery but not sure how much bigger I should go. Any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Well, first thing you have to understand is that amps are the flow of electrons and volts are how "hard" they are being "pushed"

The amps in a battery are WHAT it can place down the conductor over a period of time and a temperature.

The starter only uses the "amps" it needs to turn over - if the starter is turning over a "cold" engine it may need more amps for that second to get things moving.

YOU want the largest "supply" of amps that you can stick under the hood - think of having a drawer that has cash in it - the more cash the more there is to use WHEN needed, even if you are only taking a smaller amount out of it.

Another way to look at it - from a plumbing angle - if you could place a 6" waste line in your house - would you ever worry about it getting blocked up? More supply is better EVEN IF not needed!

Reactions: 4 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Think of it This Way: A FULL tank of gas (936 amps) starts your engine the same as a HALF-Full tank (750 amps).… the engine uses the same amount to get started regardless of how full the tank might be.

The difference is… HOw many times are you going to attempt to start it before it actually starts..? ….
And, how Cold is it when you turn the key…? (might need a drop or more of fuel to get started in really arctic temperatures…)

Otherwise, it makes little difference…. You can pay more for the big one…but you’ll likely never (need) that much excess capacity.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
If you're concerned about 'cold cranking amps', install a battery warmer around the new battery !
NO battery likes the cold and can easily lose 1/2 their electrons by sitting out there ,in the cold, day after day after day.
As others have said, 'bigger IS better', but ONLY if it's fully charged and ready to deliver.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Excellent advice here.
My battery is the original one still. 2013. I've worried about it dieing the last few yrs knowing it's age. This fall I did add a on board battery tender to plug in while parked.
I've never ever seen a after market battery last as long as a factory battery in any type of vehicle.
I've never understood why that is.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
If you're concerned about 'cold cranking amps', install a battery warmer around the new battery !
NO battery likes the cold and can easily lose 1/2 their electrons by sitting out there ,in the cold, day after day after day.
Where do the electrons go? The lost ones I mean. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I want to get a new battery for my B8200 Kubota diesel. I am finding there are many cranking amp options available. One option is 936 cranking amps with 750 cold cranking amps. My first thought is the higher the amps the better the diesel engine will start. Then the other side of me worries that maybe too many amps could end up damaging something with the tractor? The old battery now has 560 cranking amps and 420 cold cranking amps. I would like to get a stronger battery but not sure how much bigger I should go. Any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated.
Higher CCA battery wil crank an engine longer before going flat. Other than size and cost I cant thing of any downside to that.

Dan

Reactions: 2 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Excellent advice here.
My battery is the original one still. 2013. I've worried about it dieing the last few yrs knowing it's age. This fall I did add a on board battery tender to plug in while parked.
I've never ever seen a after market battery last as long as a factory battery in any type of vehicle.
With your now 11 year old battery, you NEED to have it load tested.
You likely have at least one weak cell.
If you prefer to wait until your machine will not start......then just stand buy.
In even Southern Maine, that is likely to occur VERY soon!

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Excellent advice here.
Simple…. Aftermarket battery people make their money selling you batteries.…why deliver a battery that never fails? (Ever notice how a 5 year batt fails around 4 years..?…so you’ll return for an identical batt in order to claim the 1-yr of warranty you think you are owed…). :confused:

Kubota sells new tractors because people like the one they previously owned.

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
I agree with others that say high amp battery isn't going to harm the tractor. I'd like to add a higher amp battery might save damage to starter and related wiring, switches, relays and such. If due to partially charged battery,cold weather,long crank time or other demand which isn't met, wires,connections,devices and starter overheat. Each time overheat occurs collective damage is done. Keep that in mind when trying to get a little more use from dying batteries before replacing them.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Do you run your vehicles until they die from an empty fuel tank…? or do you purchase more fuel before that occurs?

That 2013 battery is almost empty. You can wait until you’re stuck out in the field someday… Or…you can trade it in on a new battery and avoid the frustration. Buy another 5 years or so repeating the experience.… much less frustration that way.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
re: That 2013 battery is almost empty.

Not necessarily. It could be good for another 5-10 years. The 'useful life' of every battery is determined by several factors like charging rates, temperature, number of heavy drains(starts), cable conditions etc.
A battery used to start a tractor once a week, in warm weather, run for 2-3 hours will last a lot longer than one started 10 times a day, in middle of winter,run for 10 minutes.

Like everything else is you use it right,it'll last a long time, abuse it, it'll fail

The best SLA batteries I ever bought were from Gates, 3 decades ago, Some lasted 21 years in my remote energy control systems. These were same 'series' as what the US Navy put into their Nuke Subs back then

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
re: That 2013 battery is almost empty.

Not necessarily. It could be good for another 5-10 years. The 'useful life' of every battery is determined by several factors like charging rates, temperature, number of heavy drains(starts), cable conditions etc.
A battery used to start a tractor once a week, in warm weather, run for 2-3 hours will last a lot longer than one started 10 times a day, in middle of winter,run for 10 minutes.

Like everything else is you use it right,it'll last a long time, abuse it, it'll fail

The best SLA batteries I ever bought were from Gates, 3 decades ago, Some lasted 21 years in my remote energy control systems. These were same 'series' as what the US Navy put into their Nuke Subs back then
I don't want a nuke sub battery!
Just too damn heavy! :LOL:

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Excellent advice here.
I noticed the exact same thing. Factory batteries are great.

But I must admit that I use Wally World specials most of the time, so "you get what you pay for " probably applies.

Now my Trolling motor batteries are a completely different story. Those are the "high end" AGM's.

Not being able to go to work cause your truck won't start is one thing, but not being able to troll for Walleye is totally unacceptable. ;)

• Haha

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I was in the similar situation with my B7100 HST . I had purchased a new battery in the same 560 cranking amps and 420 cold cranking amps. Below 15 degrees F I always had a tough time starting the tractor due to slow cranking rpm's. I replaced with a battery with higher cold cranking amps and the difference was amazing. I think the higher cold cranking amps actually is BETTER for the starter and tractor in the below 15 degree range due to less time that starter has to struggle and turn the cold engine.

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
One thing most forget about , is that the SAME battery has to supply a LOT of power to the glowplugs ! Most GPs draw 10 amps EACH, so 3 cylinder engine, 3 GPs, that's 30 amps needed, both during preheat AND during the starting.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
CCA is like money and HP.

All else equal, some's good and more's better.

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
One thing most forget about , is that the SAME battery has to supply a LOT of power to the glowplugs ! Most GPs draw 10 amps EACH, so 3 cylinder engine, 3 GPs, that's 30 amps needed, both during preheat AND during the starting.
Jay,
Is that true for all Kubota models? I seem to have remembered reading that the glow plugs are not energized when the key is in the start (starter energized) position.

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
I would argue long life of oem batteries is attributable to condition of starter,wiring and charging system more so than quality control at battery mfgrs. The number of c-l-i-c-k no start questions posted on OTT is testament most people don't know how to maintain electrical systems. When tractors are rode into the ground to the point they won't start significant damage has been done to electrical system in preceding months. Clean those cables then occasionally use a quality maintainer and you'll notice batteries lasting much longer.