All the sudden no gears are working

gonzo2850

Equipment
kubota L2850
Jan 26, 2022
conover
Good morning all,
Yesterday morning I moved my 1995 Kubota L2850 4wd out of the shed and extended the backhoe arms to grease all the areas. When finished I went to move it and no gears work. Front loader operates fine, Backhoe operates fine (runs off of PTO), forward, reverse, tried every gear and won't move (acts like it's in neutral). Clutch still feels the same. Any ideas? I was thinking perhaps something broke in the steering column for gear selection. I'm mechanically inclined but not so much with tractors. This is my first I bought it used it's not perfect, but it does what I need it to.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Good morning all,
Yesterday morning I moved my 1995 Kubota L2850 4wd out of the shed and extended the backhoe arms to grease all the areas. When finished I went to move it and no gears work. Front loader operates fine, Backhoe operates fine (runs off of PTO), forward, reverse, tried every gear and won't move (acts like it's in neutral). Clutch still feels the same. Any ideas? I was thinking perhaps something broke in the steering column for gear selection. I'm mechanically inclined but not so much with tractors. This is my first I bought it used it's not perfect, but it does what I need it to.
"it does what I need it to do"....
Apparently...NOT !! :(

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
don't know the machine but....
assuming it's got a gearshift, does it have a 'hi-lo- or '2 speed' aux gear shift as well ??
does it have a 'shuttle shift' aka fwd-new-rev lever ?
That's THREE levers that have to be NOT in 'neutral' for the tractor to move.

I suspect one of them 'magically' is in neutral.......

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I”m also not familiar with that model/set-up…. but I wonder if there’s a transmission “disconnect” when the backhoe is deployed..?

gonzo2850

Equipment
kubota L2850
Jan 26, 2022
conover
don't know the machine but....
assuming it's got a gearshift, does it have a 'hi-lo- or '2 speed' aux gear shift as well ??
does it have a 'shuttle shift' aka fwd-new-rev lever ?
That's THREE levers that have to be NOT in 'neutral' for the tractor to move.

I suspect one of them 'magically' is in neutral.......
I believe it has all of that. Unfortunately the hi gear selection never worked since I've had it.

gonzo2850

Equipment
kubota L2850
Jan 26, 2022
conover
I”m also not familiar with that model/set-up…. but I wonder if there’s a transmission “disconnect” when the backhoe is deployed..?
Transmission disconnect? I doubt it because it's very simple and backhoe runs off of PTO, nothing else connects. Unless im uneducated on something else that triggers a Transmission disconnect?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I know nothing about the tractor but saw this on tractor data.

You may be able to push it into the shed using the back hoe if you need to.

I would start with seeing how each lever feels- does it feel like it is connected a moving something. The look at what is moved by each lever.

Good luck

IMG_0062.png

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Do you have the WSM (aka Service Manual)?
If not just ask. ;)

What does the range lever feel like?
Seeing you had issues with not having hi range.

gonzo2850

Equipment
kubota L2850
Jan 26, 2022
conover
Do you have the WSM (aka Service Manual)?
If not just ask. ;)

What does the range lever feel like?
Seeing you had issues with not having hi range.
Service Manual would be great! Thanks.
Im assuming the range leaver is the low/high speed range? There's no feeling in it really it has a consistant small drag. Now the forward/reverse lever on the column feels loose. Although it always had and sometimes you can feel it fall into gear.