BX24 ran out of oil!

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
You are talking to a guy that don't know where the dipstick is ... :LOL:
Until the case is empty.
I feel for the guy. It is not a good situation to be in. The basic steps for this type of thing are outlined in various posts. Problem is dealing with it after determining lock up, loss of compression, etc require tools and knowledge most do not have.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Love my BX24

Equipment
BX24 TBL, RCK54-23BX mower deck, BX2750 & BX2751 snow blower
Nov 19, 2022
Trent Hills, Ontario, Canada
“ but it still didn't get past trying to start.”

Not sure how to interpret that- Does it turn over (i.e., crank/spin the engine) and not fire?

Are there mechanical sounds like something is engaging but doesn’t turn over/crank the engine?

Do you get nothing - no sound- when turning the key to Start?
I first get a clicking noise and then the sound of the engine trying to start/turn over. It just doesn't 'catch'. Wondering if it could be the started. I saw several YouTube videos showing the starter not having enough power.

Love my BX24

Equipment
BX24 TBL, RCK54-23BX mower deck, BX2750 & BX2751 snow blower
Nov 19, 2022
Trent Hills, Ontario, Canada
“ but it still didn't get past trying to start.”

Not sure how to interpret that- Does it turn over (i.e., crank/spin the engine) and not fire?

Are there mechanical sounds like something is engaging but doesn’t turn over/crank the engine?

Do you get nothing - no sound- when turning the key to Start?
It strains to turn over but doesn't fire. First there's' a clicking sound, then it strains to start, but doesn't.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I first get a clicking noise and then the sound of the engine trying to start/turn over. It just doesn't 'catch'. Wondering if it could be the started. I saw several YouTube videos showing the starter not having enough power.
Thanks - it’s hard to tell issues from a distance.

A low-oil problem started this thread.

I’m only guessing the starter doesn’t have enough power to overcome the damage caused by the low-oil condition.

Does sound like the starter is in fact trying to turn the engine over, but the engine may be in a condition that it will not turn over without significant effort.

Just a guess on my part.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
It strains to turn over but doesn't fire. First there's' a clicking sound, then it strains to start, but doesn't.
The clicking sound should be the electric fuel lift pump and is normal for most BX tractors.

The fact that it “strains to start” (i.e., turns over) is a hint to me there could be catastrophic damage to the engine by lack of lubrication.

airbiscuit

Equipment
New Holland T2310, New Holland TC21D, Kubota l3010 GST, Farmall H
Mar 18, 2021
NW WI
This is just shooting from the hip, But I would remove the injectors and pour some Mavel Mystery Oil in the cylinders and let them soak for a day or two. leave the injectors out and see if the starter spins it freely. After you have spun it over a bunch to evacuate the oil in the cylinders, reinstall the injectors and see if it will start.
Make sure there is oil in the engine.

Reactions: 1 users

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
This is just shooting from the hip, But I would remove the injectors and pour some Mavel Mystery Oil in the cylinders and let them soak for a day or two. leave the injectors out and see if the starter spins it freely. After you have spun it over a bunch to evacuate the oil in the cylinders, reinstall the injectors and see if it will start.
Make sure there is oil in the engine.
^^^^^ Yep. ^^^^^^

And, throw a wrench on the crank nut and see if it moves At All. I"d try backwards first... but just a smidge.

And check your oil!

Last edited:

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I'd check to make sure the PTO isn't engaged since you were using the snow blower.

I'm not sure that are all using the same terminology. Doesn't seem to catch could be as simple as the starter isn't working correctly. Or could be some kind of vapor lock/injector issue. I'd probably follow the procedure to prime the injectors. It should be noninvasive.

But, I agree it might make sense to take a shop.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
I agree, but it doesn't seem like the engineers should allow that situation to happen ... either.
Yes, but they call the dash lights, "idiot lights", for a reason. If the idiot light doesn't light do we blame the engineers? Or the person not maintaining the machine?

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Yes, but they call the dash lights, "idiot lights", for a reason. If the idiot light doesn't light do we blame the engineers? Or the person not maintaining the machine?
Neither ... the engineers should prevent the engine from running when it is out of oil. That's never going to be good.

Fwiw, there are multiple ways to run out of fluids of various types. Some are user error, some are not.

Just in case you wondered, nope I never have run anything out of oil. :D

KKBL

Equipment
L2501 HST QA 525 loader, 42" forks, brush hog, grader/box/back blades
Jan 5, 2022
Girard, PA
Just a real wild guess here, but did he run it out of fuel? - in as calling it fuel "oil".

Reactions: 2 users

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
Marvel mystery oil in the cylinders just to get it to turn over easier is Pointless in my opinion.
Even "IF" it does start, you'll probably do more damage.... Even if the oil level is good.

Time to yank the engine, put it on a stand and tear it down.

Main crankshaft bearings are probably toast.
Hopefully you can just have the crank turned and install oversized bearings.

you won't know until you open it up....

But there are no free lunches.

the damage is done.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Just a real wild guess here, but did he run it out of fuel? - in as calling it fuel "oil".
I’ll bet the OP wishes that’s what the problem was. But I’m betting he knows to put fuel in the fuel tank when it runs out. Just a guess, just like the rest of the folks on this thread.

airbiscuit

Equipment
New Holland T2310, New Holland TC21D, Kubota l3010 GST, Farmall H
Mar 18, 2021
NW WI
So to the original poster
How did you determine it was out of oil?
How did it run out of oil?
Is there oi in it now?

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
most of the time when an engine stops running, it's abnormal. Unless it's a GM product

when it does this, you should be asking why? probably a good idea to not continue operating until you find out why it died the first time.

in the OP's case, it's time to take the engine off of the tractor and pull it apart for autopsy. If ya get lucky it might be salvageable.

i question this. When was the last time the oil was checked? why was it low on oil? Where'd the oil go? Engine smoking? Dirty air filter? Did it just get skeered and run away? Or was it possibly serviced and forgot to refill?

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Sooo….. How many of us actually, religiously check the oil dipstick before Start…?
In the 11 years I've owned my massey I've never checked it. Nor have I changed it. Nor do I care. I actually hate it. I gave $600 for it. MF 1140 w/loader. Today I was using it and the 4wd quit working. I got excited, thinking maybe it's finally gave up the ghost and I can go buy a kubota now. Decided to climb under it to find that the slip collar between the two 4wd drive shafts came off. I slid it back into place and reinstalled it's snap ring and covers and it started working again. Well crud.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
I'd say start small. Put some Marvel Mystery Oil or some lube directly in the cylinders and let it sit for a few days. Put in the recommended oil type and volume of oil in the engine pan.

Then put a BFW (big f'n wrench) on the crank bolt and try to spin or move it very slightly in either direction. Break it free, so to speak. It may only be piston seizure in the cylinder(s).

You have probably toasted the engine, but IT IS a Kubota. You might get lucky. Kubota is world-wide known for their diesel engine reliability. Even with massive abuse.

Otherwise, do as others said and pull the engine. Full rebuild. Or take it to a shop, and bring lots of money.

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
agree, pull glowplugs, fill cylinder with 50/50 ATF/acetone, wait 2 day, test if wrench turns it a bit, add more ATF/ace, wait another day. repeat process until engine turns over with wrench. Do NOT use starter to turn over ! Use wrench to test move crank round maybe 10-15 degrees .When you use excessive force, you'l destroy rings and things. Do not try to START the engine until you clean the oil out of the cylinders !

My first D-14 was 'stuck' , has sat 25 years. It took 2 weeks of this 'oil fill-test turn-next day' routine. Once it was free, gently turned crank BOTH ways, several times, walked away. NEXT day, removed oil in cylinders,spun crank with starter..seemed smooth,fresh gas, plugs, choke, she fired up ran smooth, fumigated the garaged.... been running fine for past 23 years.

You MIGHT get lucky, but have to have a lot of PATIENCE.....