Bx2750d snowblower drive chain problems

Irelandj

Equipment
Bx25d, bx2750d
Nov 8, 2019
Alban, ontario
My bx2750d front snow blower keeps blowing drive chains because the impeller shear boldt doesn’t break. I use Class 5 shear bolts s per advice from the orange tractor makers, who suggest I upgrade to a bx2755d heavy duty snowblower. I’ve lost 3 chains in 3 years,.

MINICUP28

Equipment
B7610, KX-018, RTV-500, JD X758
Feb 21, 2019
COBLESKILL, NY
Check the chain tension over a full revolution of the auger. I bent my auger by backing into a frozen snow bank. The chain would go from too tight to very loose. I tightened it some more thinking it was loose.
I caught it preseason and replaced the chain. I straightened the auger with some 6x6's & a jack & chain.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
It could be 'alignment' or 'tension' as both are critical to long life.
I've gotten 10-12 years out of one sprocket/chain snowblower. Shear pins break ,usually finding a skid....,never ever had a chain break.
Agree check tension, several revs, both forward and reverse, sometimes you'll see something when chain's going 'wrong way.
Curious as to what's HD about the HD version of the blower ?

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Post a picture of your shear bolt and the head of the bolt.

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Post a picture of your shear bolt and the head of the bolt.
I think that might be the key.

I’ve used OEM grooved shears on a BX2750D for years.

No issues…..knocking on wood…🪵

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I think that might be the key.

I’ve used OEM grooved shears on a BX2750D for years.

No issues…..knocking on wood…🪵
The problem lies in the way that the shear bolt is described in the parts book. The description doesn't mention that it has 2 undercuts in the bolt. Even North Idaho Wolfman recommended to another forum member to just buy a box of Grade 5 bolts and use them rather than buying the shear bolts from the Kubota dealer. Without the undercut on the bolts, you are going to be doing some severe damage to the machine. Here is what a shear bolt looks like when subjected to the sudden stopping of the blower that isn't grooved. In this case, someone put the lock washer under the head of the bolt, which took the undercut out of alignment. As you can see, it is bent, but it didn't break. The bottom shear bolt is just to show a good shear bolt. Here is the thread where I brought this up to the forum members. https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/threads/snowblower-shear-pins.60495/ A local repair shop would put out on the front counter each of the gears that were damaged and replace as a result of using a bolt in place of a shear bolt. These were smaller snowblowers that came into the shop for repairs. At one time you could purchase just the brass gear for the BX2750 snowblower gearbox, but it is no longer available as a separate part. Now you have to purchase the entire gearbox assembly with the shaft. The cost of the gearbox is $684.58 The cost of the shear bolt is $3.68. It doesn't sound that expensive compared to the damage using the wrong type of bolt can cost in the damage it may do.

shear bolt.JPG

Dec 19, 2023
Save yourself some serious $
Just go to a hardware store and but a handful of 5/16' x 2 1/4" course grade 5 bolts with lock washers and nuts or just lock nuts.
Yes that's what Kubota specs for those shear bolts.

SHEAR BOLT 5/16" NC X 2 1/4" W/ LOCK & NUT, SILVER PTD, GR5

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

sagor

Equipment
BX25, BX2750D, BX2760A, 5' back blade
Jan 9, 2017
Sudbury, ON, Canada
You say "impeller". Do you mean the fan? The other shear bolts pictured above are for the augers, which I have blown several times with no damage. I use the proper Kubota shear bolts.
Now if it is the "fan" part, there are 2 different designs of the BX2750D. Earlier models used a grade 8 bolt through the shaft (and fan sleeve), one that was also grooved to provide the proper shear points. Newer models have a smaller 1-1/4" grade 5 bolt through a flange (double flange) between the fan and the flange mounted on the shaft. I find that is much more reliable and easy to replace compared to the older grade 8 bolt system. The old grade 8 bolt was a bear to get out at times.
I had the older 2750D model and found that after a few blown fan shear bolts, it became harder to align the holes to replace the grade 8 bolt. I suspect things got twisted or bent over time, probably because of too much stress. It got so frustrating that I bought the newer model with the simple grade 5 bolt on the fan portion. I keep the old blower for spares (except the drive shaft and fan)
As for the chain, remember to lubricate it, every 4 hours I believe, with chain saw bar oil. I pour a bit in the open hole every time I take the blower out to clear snow.

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
sagor, allow me to give some additional facts because I just went through this discussion with another member who needed a fan (impeller) for his snowblower and all the labels had been removed. The BX2750 & BX2750A both used the fan with the tab that connects the fan to the shaft using a collar that has a grade 8 bolt through the collar. The BX2750B, BX2750C, & BX2750D use a shear bolt that goes through the center tube of the fan, through the shaft, and bolts on the other end. I had to go to messicks dot com and pull up the parts diagram for each of the blowers to figure out what fan he needed. In the end, I gave him the correct part number to get the correct fan for his snowblower. The reason that I went through this exercise with him was because he was hoping to save some money and buy the fan that I have from my old BX2750 sitting on the shelf. Mine was damaged when it ingested a rock, and I took my snowblower apart and straightened it. This was about 19 years ago before parts were well stocked by the dealers, and I couldn't get one overnight.
I can find no supporting documentation that the BX2750D used the earlier fan. However, I don't doubt that your snowblower might have been altered at one time, especially if it was purchased used.

MVC-008L.JPG

Irelandj

Equipment
Bx25d, bx2750d
Nov 8, 2019
Alban, ontario
It could be 'alignment' or 'tension' as both are critical to long life.
I've gotten 10-12 years out of one sprocket/chain snowblower. Shear pins break ,usually finding a skid....,never ever had a chain break.
Agree check tension, several revs, both forward and reverse, sometimes you'll see something when chain's going 'wrong way.
Curious as to what's HD about the HD version of the blower ?
The HD BLOWER IS GEAR DRIVEN NOT CHAIN….THANKS FOR THE INPUT, I WILL HAVE A CHANCE TO DO THE REVERSE TENSION ADJUST WHEN MY NEW CHAIN COMES IN.

Irelandj

Equipment
Bx25d, bx2750d
Nov 8, 2019
Alban, ontario
The longer class 5 bolts for the augers work well every time, the smaller class 5 bolt on the impeller/fan (it’s a Canadian thing, the term impeller) does not have the grooves that the larger auger bolts do. Considering altering them with a hacksaw or look for a bolt that is weaker, and just live with changing bolts rather than change chains.

I do have a twist on the blower when attached to the bx, I will try to re-level it as described above, it isn’t too bad but noticeable.

Bought the blower new in 2019. I use chainsaw oil as the default, I find that the motor oil just runs off the sprocket assembly. Below freezing, I take the cover off and use a brush to coat the whole sprocket assembly, only takes a minute.