LX2963 snowblower issues

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Not really happy with my new LX2963 blower. It pushes snow 2-3 feet in front of the blower no matter if you are going slow or fast and piles up in the middle. The augers move the snow ride to side in the middle but it seems like only forward motion and pushing a pile of snow will push snow back to the fan. The pile of snow will overflow the sides of the blower even when taking a half cut making it impossible to actually remove snow from the driveway without taking multiple unneeded passes. My 30 year old Kubota blower worked better & faster
In deep snow I could use 2nd range on hydro now with the new blower even in low range creeping as slow as I can go with the LX2601 snow piles up over flows the blower with a 4" light to medium moisture snowfall
Any thoughts or suggestions what I can do or how I can be happy with my new snow blower ? I've never been so disappointed and everytime I use it my disappointment gets worse. Local dealer says they never had complaints before so I must be crazy to expect s snow blower to blow snow when all mine does is push it like a box plow. Thanks in advance for any input !
I guess I don't have too much to contribute other than to say I'm surprised.
I have the smaller cousin to this blower. The BX2830 mounted to my BX2380 and there has not been
any snow that I can't manage. I blow from 2" of fluffy powder to a foot or more of super heavy wet snow
and it does it all. I've even blowed out an area 75' long that was ~3 month old pack snow. Had to take my time but it did it.

I call it the beast (even though it's only 48" wide, but the 'commercial version' of this blower.

I have to imagine there's something seriously wrong (that we haven't discovered yet) if you're not happy with it.

Augers on backwards, shear bolts broke/slipping, but appearing to be ok, blower fan spinning wrong directions, wrong gearbox for the blower - - -something.

These are good to very good snow blowers !

I hope you are able to solve this mystery good sir !

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
I just watched the video (hadn't noticed it before) and I am not claiming this is your issue, but I've had shear pins break over the years and the bolt head and or end stays in(paint/rust) and it LOOKS like the auger is connected to the shaft, but when I give it a good kick(everything turned off of course!), I notice that one auger is still free floating and not really doing much if any work.

If you've been snowblowing that long, you probably already know this 'gotcha'.

Something is really wrong. That blower should be tossing that stuff 30' into the woods.

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I have a BX2822 snowblower (gear driven) and it was terrible today. It is pushing the snow forward, but not pushing it out of the chute. The snow was wet and heavy, and I am at a loss. I still have my 48" chain-driven snowblower, and will try that the next time if I still have a problem with the BX2822. Very disappointing.

garagenut83

Equipment
Lx3520
Oct 28, 2023
Wis
Not really happy with my new LX2963 blower. It pushes snow 2-3 feet in front of the blower no matter if you are going slow or fast and piles up in the middle. The augers move the snow ride to side in the middle but it seems like only forward motion and pushing a pile of snow will push snow back to the fan. The pile of snow will overflow the sides of the blower even when taking a half cut making it impossible to actually remove snow from the driveway without taking multiple unneeded passes. My 30 year old Kubota blower worked better & faster
In deep snow I could use 2nd range on hydro now with the new blower even in low range creeping as slow as I can go with the LX2601 snow piles up over flows the blower with a 4" light to medium moisture snowfall
Any thoughts or suggestions what I can do or how I can be happy with my new snow blower ? I've never been so disappointed and everytime I use it my disappointment gets worse. Local dealer says they never had complaints before so I must be crazy to expect s snow blower to blow snow when all mine does is push it like a box plow. Thanks in advance for any input !
Did you solve the problem?

Cannonball

Equipment
LX2601 and LX2963 blower
Feb 25, 2023
Cato Wisconsin
Looked again at the video, didn't get a good look but it appears that the right side of the blower wasn't having the same snow pileup like the left side was. If so, are you sure the left side auger is turning?
I sometimes put a heavy enough item on the driver's seat to keep the seat safety switch from turning off the tractor and get out to look at the blower in action at idle. I also squirt a bit of chain oil in the chain reduction box while out there and chain turning.
There is no chain drive this has transmission in front of fan ans two piece blower auger

Cannonball

Equipment
LX2601 and LX2963 blower
Feb 25, 2023
Cato Wisconsin
Did you solve the problem?
No I am now in second winter with this blower. I am truly convinced it is the worst piece of equipment I have purchased in 40 years. Dealer keeps telling me they sold lots of these and I’m only one with an issue. I have asked to speak with the rep several times but never get to speak with him.
my old blower would take 6 passes and driveway was clear n clean. This blower I stop counting at 12 passes because I still have snow spilling out all over the driveway. I’ve even tried taking 10” cuts on one side along the edge of the driveway only to have a 6-8” pile of snow overflowing the opposite side into the part of the driveway that used to be clear,

the blower just seems like it doesn’t feed well and even in low gear creeping as slow as I can there is always a pile of snow built up in front . The sides of the blower are so close to the center line of the augers it can’t scoop the snow to the augers it simply piles up and over flows the sides.

i have piles all over like it’s a box scraper and never had this problem with my old tractor and blower, it would. Scoop the snow and blow it never over flowing the sides or piling up 20” in front of the blower with a 6” snowfall.

it kinda defeats the purpose of having a blower if you have to use it like a plow or box scraper.

if I could return it I would in a heart beat, it’s simply a poor redesign that doesn’t work. I wish I Beyer bought it and still had my old blower, I’ve even begged the guy who bought my old tractor n blower to sell it back to me and he laughed said it is the best blower he ever had.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Equipment
LX2601 and LX2963 blower
Feb 25, 2023
Cato Wisconsin
I guess I don't have too much to contribute other than to say I'm surprised.
I have the smaller cousin to this blower. The BX2830 mounted to my BX2380 and there has not been
any snow that I can't manage. I blow from 2" of fluffy powder to a foot or more of super heavy wet snow
and it does it all. I've even blowed out an area 75' long that was ~3 month old pack snow. Had to take my time but it did it.

I call it the beast (even though it's only 48" wide, but the 'commercial version' of this blower.

I have to imagine there's something seriously wrong (that we haven't discovered yet) if you're not happy with it.

Augers on backwards, shear bolts broke/slipping, but appearing to be ok, blower fan spinning wrong directions, wrong gearbox for the blower - - -something.

These are good to very good snow blowers !

I hope you are able to solve this mystery good sir !
Shear pins all good, augers offset 180 degrees, fan sheer pin good. I couldn’t even try to blow a 2” snowfall the augers are 2.75” above the ground level. All these points have been verified by me and dealer. I even had dealer come to house and show me what I was doing wrong, he jumped on the tractor and had exact same things happen so it’s not operator error.
im ready to use it to s
clear snow off the lake and let the blower on the ice until spring thaw!
Had a 5” snow last weekend I used the atv and plow it cleared the driveway better with fewer piles and fewer trips up and down driveway than the blower would need to do

Cannonball

Equipment
LX2601 and LX2963 blower
Feb 25, 2023
Cato Wisconsin
It might have been manufactured with the wrong parts. To me, it sounds like it is running counter to the correct direction. Suggest that you observe it running while it is stationary and not trying to "ingest" snow. Also, check for broken shear bolts. Something is wrong, but it is difficult to diagnose without being hands-on.
Rotation of fan and augers is correct no sheer pins broken

Cannonball

Equipment
LX2601 and LX2963 blower
Feb 25, 2023
Cato Wisconsin
Your pic shows the design of probably 80-90 % of snowblosers I've seen . I own 3 with that design that work fine until we get a load of Sierra Cement ( snow that has more water content then snow content ). I try to wait till the snow has a chance to cystalize , my 50 year old Bolens with a single stage blower will blow that stuff rather nicely .
animals45
Do you want to sell me your Bolens? Anything has to be better than this p.o.s.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
watched the video.. curious,... what RPM are you running ?
I know snowblowers need HIGH speed, but your video sounds more like 1000-1200, not 3000.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I looked at the parts diagram and it is assembled correctly. The only thing that I notice is the low hood outlet. I like to keep that as high as possible to keep the snow moving out of the chute. Your blower is acting just like my 55" commercial blower, except that I added wings to the sides to keep the snow in. Your problem is the same one that I had in this last snowstorm. The ground was warm and the snow was melted on the pavement, so it kept building up in front of the blower. I think that it is the nature of the beast.

Cannonball

Equipment
LX2601 and LX2963 blower
Feb 25, 2023
Cato Wisconsin
Is the blower level or tilted back some ? Do you have teh loader function in float mode ?
animals45
Dealer has leveled it 2x
I run in float mode
Rpm is maxed
I looked at the parts diagram and it is assembled correctly. The only thing that I notice is the low hood outlet. I like to keep that as high as possible to keep the snow moving out of the chute. Your blower is acting just like my 55" commercial blower, except that I added wings to the sides to keep the snow in. Your problem is the same one that I had in this last snowstorm. The ground was warm and the snow was melted on the pavement, so it kept building up in front of the blower. I think that it is the nature of the beast.
ground is frozen 20 degrees today it does the same things

animals45

Equipment
L3301l
Apr 22, 2021
Mabie CA
Nope my Bolens ain't going nowhere . Can ya get a video from the front as it's being operated ?
I agree with nbryan it sure looks to me from what I can see in the vid is the the one side is just being pushed while the other side seems to be feeding fine . How much are ya getting out of the chute ?
A front video would be nice .
animals45

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
I have looked at the video and in my opinion it is operating as I would expect if not blowing dry fluffy snow. Any blower will push a bit out the side since you have a round auger in a square box. A piece of plate fastened to the bottom sides to extend it a bit more forward might reduce the side spillage. I have the same blower and operate with a rear blade which fine tunes the surface. My 4000 foot driveway is not paved.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

sagor

Equipment
BX25, BX2750D, BX2760A, 5' back blade
Jan 9, 2017
Sudbury, ON, Canada
Your video shows typical wet snow on a smooth surface being "pushed" by the blower instead of building up enough to get sucked in by the augers and fan. I've had similar with my small 2750D blower. However, this only happens with an inch or two of wet snow. My solution was to go "fast", force the snow to build up more quickly if possible. Going at a crawl speed simply pushes it into a "triangle" shape on the ground in front, and then excess snow simply spills out the sides. Snow blowers are not really meant for 1" or 2" of wet snow, not enough material to really work efficiently. Also, a smooth paved driveway does not help in preventing the snow from simply being pushed around.
Another solution is to use a blade in back to scrape the snow into a center ridge (then it is all stuck together), then go down that ridge with the blower. Once the snow is moved into a "pile", it will not slide around that much and feed the blower better.
Was out yesterday blowing a foot of snow, and with drifts it was piling up over the top of the blower if I went too fast. Snowblowers do work, for most instances of snowfall.

Reactions: 1 user