Spewing oil. L345DT

BigStar2019

Equipment
L345DT
Jan 10, 2022
Idaho
Was doing some tractor work today and steering got very difficult. Shut it down as I was done with it for a few. Went to start it again. Oil instantly started pouring. I have a manual but can't tell if these are the drain plug holes. 81953.jpeg
81957.jpeg
81957.jpeg
81953.jpeg

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
It is possible that is the source of the leak, but it looks like a mounting point for something. If so that area is thicker metal for the stresses it will experience. Remember gravity and leaks do not play well together. First verify all fluids are filled and then try to locate source of the leak. If you get it clean and dry, baby powder is sometimes useful. Also you said oil and you lost steering? Is the power steering off of engine oil or the hydraulic pump(I suspect this). Can you verify what type of fluid it is?

BigStar2019

Equipment
L345DT
Jan 10, 2022
Idaho
It is possible that is the source of the leak, but it looks like a mounting point for something. If so that area is thicker metal for the stresses it will experience. Remember gravity and leaks do not play well together. First verify all fluids are filled and then try to locate source of the leak. If you get it clean and dry, baby powder is sometimes useful. Also you said oil and you lost steering? Is the power steering off of engine oil or the hydraulic pump(I suspect this). Can you verify what type of fluid it is?
It's definitely engine oil. I'll have to do another clean job on it to try and find the source. But it seemed as if it was coming from one of those holes. But I agree. Gravity sucks.

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
Gravity, highway speeds, and build millions of vehicles as cheap as possible. Can't remember how many oil pans I have replaced due to porosity of the metal in the pan(for warranty had to circle the leak), but it is in the hundreds. You could install a bolt in the holes(verify threads and pitch) with a little thread sealer. But I would start higher up. Also that looks like the bottom of a transmission so why is the engine oil there? If it is engine oil. Can you take some pictures of the tractor, as I work on cars/trucks. Have worked on a few JD's and UTV's., but, engines are engines and leaks are universal to them all(except Harley-Davidson they follow they theory of if not leaking, it has no oil in it). :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The fact that you had steering issues would point to a hydraulic line issue.

Reactions: 1 user

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
The steering on your tractor is separate from the hydraulic system. The power steering reservoir is on top of the engine and has a dipstick on it. I would check all fluids and clean it up and be sure you don't have something running down from above the transmission housing. All of the steering lines are external.

Reactions: 1 user