L2501 not starting

Trustable

Equipment
l2501HST
Jul 5, 2022
Michigan
Hi all. I haven’t started the tractor in a couple weeks and it now does not start. The lights, glow plugs, and blinkers work, but when I push clutch and turn key to right nothing happens, not even a click of it trying to. It’s hard for me to think this is a battery issue as I just got the tractor over the summer and have 30 hours on it. I am home for a short while as my furnace stopped working so I had to rush home from my parents and get that taken care of, and wanted to pull something out of garage so I needed to move the tractor. Any ideas? I looked for mice damage but can’t see any, along with checking battery to make sure terminals are clean and properly connected. I am new to this, so any help is appreciated. May have to leave it till after this weekend as I don’t see myself being able to fix till I can be home for a bit. I tried to jump it but my cables are not nearly long enough.

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
One of the common safety switches that cause starting issues on this series of L frame tractors is the pto lever and switch. Many folks have been able to start after "playing" with the pto lever.
You might also want to check that you're treadle pedal ie, speed control pedal is returning to a neutral center position.

Besides the seat switch there is the clutch switch, speed control pedal switch and pto switch.
Not sure if it helps but good luck on getting it started.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
Gear Drive or hydrostat? If it's a Gear Drive be sure the shift lever is pushing the two micro switches on the left side by the fender. As others have said check to be sure the PTO is not engaged. Don't need to push the clutch in to start.

Reactions: 1 user

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Gear Drive or hydrostat? If it's a Gear Drive be sure the shift lever is pushing the two micro switches on the left side by the fender. As others have said check to be sure the PTO is not engaged. Don't need to push the clutch in to start.
Maybe I am assuming but the op listed his L2501 as being a HST drive. In which case the clutch pedal must be depressed also.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Make sure the HST pedal is in the center, try wiggling the pedal when your turning the key.

Trustable

Equipment
l2501HST
Jul 5, 2022
Michigan
Thanks guys, the clutch safety switch engages when I press it in, as does the PTO switch too, which I’ve turned on one time since owning. It is an HST. I’m gonna mess with treadle and PTO switch some more as well as recommended before I head back out to my parents. I called dealer and he was not certain if it would be warranty if a branch ripped a wire or something, so I am a bit nervous to let them take care of it. It ran when I parked it a couple weeks ago, the only thing I’ve done since is put on one of those steering wheel knobs for easier one handed steering. I know there are instructions on here for bypassing safety switches so I may end doing that then just having them send new switches to me. I’ll keep you guys posted!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'll send you the WSM, it has the Real trouble shooting methods.
no bypass required.

Reactions: 2 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Open the envelope top right on the screen. ;)

• Love

Trustable

Equipment
l2501HST
Jul 5, 2022
Michigan
Okay thanks all for the help! After getting the WSM I found the location of the PTO switch and pressed in the metal tab by hand. After doing that a few times I cycled the PTO off and on and then it started. I am not sure if the switch was stuck or If it is going bad. Either way it started up so it is working. If it happens again I know exactly where to look and how to really troubleshoot it further with the wsm. Thanks everybody for the help, especially so quickly!

Reactions: 3 users

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
On my L2501 the PTO lever was moving but the lever at the gear box was not. A little bit of Fluid Film sprayed on both ends loosened it all up.