L48 only starts by jumping a wire from the battery post on the starter to the white plug?

mkserges

Equipment
L48 backhoe
Nov 5, 2017
Holland, IN USA
I have been having intermittent problems with my L48 starting. When I turn the key on I can hear the fuel solenoid click, but the starter will not crank over when the key is in the start position. i can take a copper wire and jump the starter by touching it to the bolt that connects the battery wire to the starter with the connector on the starter to the left that has a white plastic cover. Last time this happened I took the starter apart and cleaned the connectors and it seemed to be fine for a while. Looking for advice on how to resolve the issue. The starter cranks fine when jumped and the L48 starts right away. Is this indicating a problem with the solenoid? Time for a new starter?

Thanks, Mike

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Could be a half dozen things - if intermittent - I would start with safety switches first, (Seat-HST-PTO) and see if this changes anything

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Measure how much voltage is being applied to the solenoid fire wire (smaller wire) with the white plastic cover.

Often there is too much voltage drop through the switches to fire that solenoid. Adding a relay can resolve that issue.

mkserges

Equipment
L48 backhoe
Nov 5, 2017
Holland, IN USA
Measure how much voltage is being applied to the solenoid fire wire (smaller wire) with the white plastic cover.

Often there is too much voltage drop through the switches to fire that solenoid. Adding a relay can resolve that issue.
Thanks for the reply! Currently there is no voltage at the solenoid wire when I turn the key to start. When I jump the solenoid wire from the battery cable it fires right up. I'm getting power to the fuel solenoid, so it must be somewhere between the fuel solenoid and the starter solenoid. Any suggestions on where to look? It was working fine until I left the backhoe out in the weather for about 3 weeks...Now I have to jump it every time I want to use it. Thanks!!

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Ok if every time you apply power to the solenoid it cranks the engine then I don’t think you have any problem with the starter.

Since you left the whole (I assume) tractor outside you probably have a problem with the safety switches. You may have several switches (seat, pedal, pto, clutch,...) but I don’t know that much about your tractor. If you have a operation manual or work shop manual they will indicate what switches you have.

To eliminate a switch you can hold the key in the start position and move the pedal or lever slowly to see if you can get the starter to engage when the switch hits the correct spot.

mkserges

Equipment
L48 backhoe
Nov 5, 2017
Holland, IN USA
Here's the starting system wiring diagram:
Thanks for the wiring diagram!! Very helpful....I'm happy to report that with everyone's input and the wiring diagram I was able to fix the issue. Turned out that there was a loose wire in the starter relay plug. It was a small brown wire (smaller than the other three wires). When I probed the connection with the key in the start position it fired right up. I cleaned and re-crimped the wire into the plug and so far it is starting consistently without the jumper wire!! I really appreciate the help!!

jovol

Equipment
L48 TLB, New holland LS180, Woodmizer LT50
Jan 2, 2020
Lake Lure
Glad you got it resolved. I also have an L48 and had occasional starting problems over the past couple years. Once it was the negative cable from the battery to the chassis, the other time it was the wire connector at the starter coming loose.

mkserges

Equipment
L48 backhoe
Nov 5, 2017
Holland, IN USA
Here's the starting system wiring diagram:
One question on the wiring diagram....I have 4 wires on the harness coming into the HST safety switch. The Prior owner apparently had an issue and rewired the switch. There are two wires that are not used. One is hot and the other appears to be a negative. They look like they are made to connect (one has a male connector and the other has a female connector), but are not. I looked at the diagrams on Messicks and I can see these two wires, but the old version shows a switch of some sort and the new version does not indicate what they are used for. Do these need to be connected or are they just residual from an update that eliminated a safety switch of some sort? The B50702 Electrical Wiring (Rear) [New Type] diagram just shows them pointing toward the back of the tractor.

Thanks, Mike

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Sorry - I'm no help on the switch logic. My L48's was already "altered" when I got it. Glad you're running again.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
they could be for some optional rear lights, assuming 'bullet' style connectors.
MY BX23S was prewired that way. there's blue tape over the connectors. I assume that all tractors got the same wiring harness, to allow options to be easily added , either at the dealerships or by the owner.